Learn to Paint Kits (L2PK)

I mean this in the nicest sense, but... pause/rewind/fast-forward?

I understand that some people may not be able to maintain their train of thought in that instance, but that's what I would do.

-Dave

With my current setup, I'd have to watch the DVD's on a desktop or laptop computer, neither of which has a remote. The laptop may be easy enough to manipulate, but the desktop would not be suited for this. I feel as if my concentration would be split too much switching between a screen and painting a figure as opposed to a pamphlet on the table.

Of course, I admit I may be over thinking things and DVDs could be a better way to learn, but darnit, I learned with a pamphlet so that's exactly how everyone has to learn!

I see what you're saying. I use my Wii-mote for my computer. :)

I'm sure various other controllers (or even a keyboard) should have controls for you.

But yes, work with what works for you.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- The kits lately have been coming with 11 full bottles of paint (!). I don't think there is an official explanation for it, but it has been speculated that they ran out of the sample sized paints and had to include the larger ones. If that really is the case I would expect them to scale back for the new ones (or at least raise the price - as seems to be the case).

My recollection is that Reaper had a supply problem with the paint strips in the LTPKs. I don't think they said it was a permanent supply problem, so the full-size bottles could be replaced with strips again at any time as it stands. It would be nice if they switched over to bottles for good since I think they are better received, even at a higher price point.

As an aside, I have a couple of the kits that came with paint strips, though I haven't used them because I have the same colors in bottles. At least one of them sat unopened for several years before I examined them and discovered they were in usable condition, with some requiring a bit of water to loosen them up. So their shelf life is not too bad, at least in my case.

As for the DVDs, I'm glad to see them as an option in the kits and would like to see a DVD-only or download-only option, especially for those who've bought their sets in the past and just want more instruction.

Yay! Welcome, Jaryth and your triple aughts!

Thank you! The Triple Aught comment caught me quite off guard, took me a while to catch on! Even googled it and got some design firm. Finally caught the aught meaning zero bit! Now I feel a tad dumb... :D

So what generation is this virus now? I infected Cash with my incessent stumping for the kits, and now he's dutifully infected more. Can't remember who infected me.

All of you new painting dead be sure to go bite spread it on to others. :devil:

I'm version 2.0! Fresh to the painting scene and ready to learn! Hoping to get some practice in before the Bones Kickstart shipment arrives, like many new people to the site. Painting is actually a hobby I've been looking into for a while. Glad I'm finally getting into it.

I look forward to hanging out in the forums, sharing my experiences and hopefully helping other users if/when I'm good enough!

• Like 2

So what generation is this virus now? I infected Cash with my incessent stumping for the kits, and now he's dutifully infected more. Can't remember who infected me.

All of you new painting dead be sure to go bite spread it on to others. :devil:

When you figure out who the patriarch/matriarch is, let us know. That way we can hire a slayer to free us from eternal servitude.

I'm in for Bones LTPKs as soon as they're available. Like, the moment I can buy one. I have my credit card out right now.

Just sayin'

Agreed.

The current LTPKs have duplicate paints, which I find irritating. Duplicate paints *do* encourage me to "waste paint" by experimenting and mixing. But after three kits, I had triplicates of one of the paints, and duplicates of several others. I read post that Reaper is trying to avoid duplicates with their Bones LTPKs.

LTPK2: Beginning Skin and Cloth is *the* set for new painters. See my review on Amazon.

LTPK1: Beginning Armor and Fur teaches drybrushing and washing, but it's easy to learn these on your own (and other techniques are often preferable to drybrushing).

LTPK4: Intermediate Skin and LTPK5: Armor do not walk you through the entire miniature. The dwarf miniature in LTPK5 is in the Reaper KS Vampire Pledge. Not deal-killers, but vaguely disappointing.

If you are a slow painter and already have some miniatures you wish to paint, pick up LTPK2 and a Winsor Series 7 Size 1 brush (see also Masters Brush Soap, DIY wet palette, and at least two rinse pots), then "wait and see" for the Bones LTPKs. Once you've painted your LTPK2 miniatures, take what you learned and paint your other miniatures. FRPGames is selling on pre-order LTPK1 for $20 before shipping. (Might want to get the Vallejo Air Silver metallic paint as well.)

ObKSPlug: If you're in for the Zombicide 2 KickStarter (ending 3/31), buy LTPK2 for the survivors and zombie clothing. LTPK5 will be useful for painting metal on the weapons of the survivors. LTPK1 may sorta maybe useful for washing (although, again, it's easy to learn without the kit). Also see the various Zombicide painting tutorials on the 'net, as well as tutorials on spray primers.

Edited by ced1106

(Might want to get the Vallejo Air Silver metallic paint as well.)

Saw your post in that other topic, your REALLY on about those Vallejo paints arnt you ::P: ? And yes I did look them up... briefly.

I ordered the L2PK 1 & 2 as a place to start.

I've seen many people mentioned the Winsor Series 7 and Sable Series brushes, why these specifically? Even as a painter just starting out, that may not know the best ways to take care of brushes? And what about the best place to pick these up in Canada? I checked out FRPGames based on your other post, and while they may ship to Canada, they looked like primarily a US thing.

Looking over Amazon I was amazed to see a lot of things mentioned in both the How To Get Started topic and here: http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/32. All at a great price too! Then I realized I was on the US Amazon site. The Canadian site was not NEARLY as good for my needs...

I have a Micheal's in the city that I plan to go check out at some point, my Friendly Local Gaming Store (Pen Dragon) is actually only a few blocks away, and while they do have a large selection of Reaper Miniatures, and Reaper Paints, they dont have much else (not at the moment at least). I've been told a lot of this stuff can be found at Wall-mart too, so I'll be sure to swing by there.

Lots of people are throwing around a lot of (brand) names, but after reading over several topics on the forum, a few do stand out. Testors Dullcote or Krylon's... something. You had mentioned Clear gesso, many people have mentioned Master's Brush Soap.

For the time being I think I'm going to stick to strictly Reaper Paints (As I have the 4 kits from the Kickstarter, plus the L2PK's coming, so I SHOULD be good for a while).

Is something like a Winsor brush really something I should pick up before the L2PK's arrive?

Edited by jaryth000

OK. W & N Series 7 is (with certain other brands) one of the best available brushes. That being said... it might pay to wait till you have used the brushes that come with the L2PK. Yeah, the Series 7 is amazeballs and you'll hug it and love it and call it George. But if you use the Reaper branded ones first;

A) You won't wreck the Series 7 leaning the basics (for example, if you dry brush with a Series 7 you'll be hunted down and shot).

B) You'll appreciate the difference so much more

The Reaper brushes aren't bad mind you - I've picked up some $5 ones from the LFGS that are basically only just good enough for dry brushing and they knock those into a cocked hat. But the Series 7 is just so. Much. Better.

Also about 4-5 times the cost but if you look after it it'll last for a long time, and the difference between $5 and $25 isn't that much.

You can find almost all of this stuff on Amazon for sure, but you'll also find most of it in an art supply store. My W&N Series 7 & Master's Brush Soap came from the local students art supply store. It'd probably have been cheaper from Amazon though.

Masters Brush Soap is effectively a brush cleaner and conditioner. From all accounts it increases the lifespan of your brushes dramatically. Everyone I've talked to about getting back into the hobby has recommended it, so I grabbed it and while I've only been using it for about a week it certainly seems to keep the brushes in good condition - even my crappy dry brushing brush is in good nick.

• Like 1

On the brush side of things, being Canadian, we are limited it seems on what brushes we can get. Ordered W&N #7 brushes from https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm?Category=A021B000507&NBReset=2 when we got ours. I'd love to try other brushes to compare, but can't find them in Canada, and they can't seem to ship them here from the sites I've found in the US. sigh.

1) I have not had good experiences with FRPGames. They handled their Christmas/End of Year sale badly enough that I'm hesitant to order from them ever again, and I don't think I'm alone in that, even though the price was good. FWIW, I've had much better service from Miniature Giant, and I've invariably had excellent service ordering direct from Reaper.

2) Winsor & Newton Series 7 is one of three brush lines that are commonly recommended. The others are da Vinci Series 10 and Raphael Series 8404. They all have very sharp points and hold them much longer than less expensive brushes. I'm afraid I can't speak to the best place to get them in Canada. In the US, I usually order from Dick Blick, and I've been very happy with their service. BTW, expensive brushes are cheaper than cheap brushes for any period longer than about 10 miniatures. They're more durable (I've just switched to a new brush after about 4 years with the last one), and they make painting easier. I'd recommend not getting anything smaller than a #0 (I usually paint with a #2, including eyes).

I managed to find W&N brushes at Wallack's, which has locations in Ottawa & Kingston, but I haven't found any online places that ship to Canada. I wound up picking up some brushes from Blick's (the actual store with like shelves and people and stuff) last time I was in Chicago. It was fantastic, I wish we had a place like that around here.

I managed to find W&N brushes at Wallack's, which has locations in Ottawa & Kingston, but I haven't found any online places that ship to Canada. I wound up picking up some brushes from Blick's (the actual store with like shelves and people and stuff) last time I was in Chicago. It was fantastic, I wish we had a place like that around here.

I have been to that Dick Blick store many times. It's like a pilgrimage site.