Learn to Paint Kits (L2PK)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaryth, for the brushes, you want to find an art store. Not a Michaels or a craft or hobby place, but an art supply store. In AB and here in BC, we have Opus and Colours, but I'm not sure what your options are in MB. I have purchased my Series 7's from a local Colours, though admittedly for quite a bit more than our American friends here pay. From what I've been able to find, cross border shipping for brushes is very rare.

Sounds good, thanks for all the feedback thus far guys!

I know some Warhammer painters, I'm going to get in touch with them, see where they usually get their supplies.

Curse you Winnipeg, why must you be so disconnected with everything cool! Actually thats a lie, we do have some pretty good hobby shops, I just have to find them!

They do indeed have a store in Winnipeg, I think I even know where that is. Might have to stop by some time. Thanks for the link!

I've used the W&N Artist Series ones before. They are not only NOT THE SAME as the Series 7 line, but they're actually much worse than many of the cheaper alternatives. Their hairs are much thicker, and don't have the "spring" that the Series 7 do. I'd actually use some of my better synthetics before using these.

http://www.artistsupplies.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/83_10_596_597_669_682/products_id/6164

Here ya go. You'll get recommendations from painters on this site for everything from the size 000 to the size 3. I use a 1 for almost everything.

http://www.artistsupplies.com/store/index.php/cPath/83_10_596_597_669_682

There's the range. Scroll to the bottom of the page. You want the "Series 7" line.

Edited by Baugi

I've used the W&N Artist Series ones before. They are not only NOT THE SAME as the Series 7 line, but they're actually much worse than many of the cheaper alternatives. Their hairs are much thicker, and don't have the "spring" that the Series 7 do. I'd actually use some of my better synthetics before using these.

Yeah, some of Winsor and Newton's lower-end stuff is pretty useless.

The difference a series 7 brush makes is so vast, every painter should have at least one right at the start, just to see what a really good brush can do for you.

If you absolutely cannot get a series 7 but still want a semi-decent Winsor and Newton brush, I have gotten good use out of their Sceptre line of brushes. They are synthetic, pretty tough, and inexpensive.

But they are still nothing like as good as the series 7s.

http://www.artistsupplies.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/83_10_596_597_669_682/products_id/6164

Here ya go. You'll get recommendations from painters on this site for everything from the size 000 to the size 3. I use a 1 for almost everything.

http://www.artistsupplies.com/store/index.php/cPath/83_10_596_597_669_682

There's the range. Scroll to the bottom of the page. You want the "Series 7" line.

I've gotten to the point where I understand that spending the $20-30 on a brush is well worth it in the long run. I also get that the higher number, the more material goes into the brush, and that its doubtful I'll ever need anything over a 2 for painting minis. However, $360 for a size 9 brush? Thats insane.

I've heard a couple people suggest getting a 1 and a 0, and sometimes even a 000. I still have to look up the details of the 3/0 and stuff.