Learn to Paint Kits (L2PK)

I tend to use my 00 for everything now. You'd think it'd take ages, but it doesn't. All those fast paint Bones in the WIP thread? Series 7 00. I use cheapo synthetics for the blackslobbering and drybrushing, and the two 00's I have for everything else. I just could not keep a synthetic in service long enough to paint many Bones, so I started in with the W&N 00 as an emergency measure. Since it's up to the task and apparently nigh indestructible, it's probably going to be permanent.

Mind you, I imagine I might want something tad larger for Kaladrax.

• Like 1
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind you, I imagine I might want something tad larger for Kaladrax.

Indeed... BUT it could be fun to do with a 00! it would just... take a while.

I'm thinking step-ladder and paint roller myself.

That could work! Honestly though... how tall IS that thing? I ordered one.. I knew it would be large... but HOW large?

Now if you excuse me;

All those fast paint Bones in the WIP thread?

I'm busy enjoying this topic very much! (link)

Saw your post in that other topic, your REALLY on about those Vallejo paints arnt you ::P: ? And yes I did look them up... briefly.

Look up CashWiley's comments on LTPK5 about metallic paints. My first experience with hobby metal paints have been similar. I find the Reaper ones clumpy and difficult to use, though adding a drop of regular paint often helps. Psy's air brush medium helps, but Michael's doesn't supply them. If you search around the 'net, Vallejo Air Model whatever keeps popping up, so for three or four bucks, I'm going to experiment with it. I also found this YouTube video of the paint and it sure beat my experience with the limited exposure I've had to metallic paints:

As a second whammy, just painting (including drybrushing) a flat surface, like a sword, with a metallic paint, can look flat and plastic-y / fake looking. One site I found argued that painting metallics is no different than NMM. Specifically, metal reflects in ways cloth and light-absorbing materials do not, so if you paint metal, expect to learn how light and metal interact. Once I did this (often it's no more than where to place the shade on a sword or axe) my metals looked *much* better. I'm pretty much saying this now so you don't have to go through the six or twelve months of dissatisfying painting like I did.

I should say that, if you're painting Chaos Warriors or the Mansions of Madness mythos monsters, look into metallic craft paints, though obviously don't use your expensive W&N brush. The pics of the mythos monsters are buried in the Creative section of the BoardGameGeek Mansions of Madness, posted by my "Sam and Max" account.

Okay, since my blood pressure is rising based on CashWiley's post and previous difficulties we've had, I'm on hiatus (may be a short one!) mode again.

That could work! Honestly though... how tall IS that thing? I ordered one.. I knew it would be large... but HOW large?

Found the answer to my own question.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46398-kaladrax-in-the-house/

Damn. Thats large.

I find the Reaper ones clumpy and difficult to use, though adding a drop of regular paint often helps. Psy's air brush medium helps, but Michael's doesn't supply them.

Sounds good, thanks for the further info!

Painting Kaladrax with a size 00 brush sounds more like a meditation practice than anything else.

In thirty years you would be enlightened and have a great big painted skeletal dragon model.

• Like 1

Oh, look. Ced is back. Great.

Okay, since my blood pressure is rising based on CashWiley's post and previous difficulties we've had, I'm on hiatus (may be a short one!) mode again.

I missed whatever went down between you two, but this is an equal opportunity board. I believe in that as a firm principle. We mostly all get along, but not always. But that principle stands, except in extreme circumstances (then it's Reaper's call). There isn't anybody here I dislike, but I've had a run-in here and there. It happens. Sometimes for a reason, and sometimes it just does. But I believe in that principle so strongly that when I found myself embroiled in a rather big scuffle I lobbied to keep the other member around with full freedom to post. Since then, the issue's been resolved.

You two are both grown. Work it out.

• Like 3

My .02 on the brush discussion. I have a W&N S7M #1 or #2, and it's a good brush. I've also used some of the Reaper Kolinsky Brushes, and have been pleased with their performance as well (I'm not a great painter). So, if you can't find the W&N you want easily, you might give the Reaper Kolinskys a shot.

Are the Kolinsky's the ones that come with the L2PKs or is it a lower end one in those ones?

Paint kits come with either Pro Brush synthetics, or with "Red Sable" brushes. Of the two, the Red Sable is the more useful long-term. Reaper Master Brushes are the Kolinskys, and not bad. Not as good as the W&N S7 and peers, but not horrible. Generally they'll last less long. So basically it goes: synthetic -> red sable -> Reaper Kolinsky -> W&N S7 (or equivalent).

The difference is the hair ratio. I don't remember if it's the male or female Kolinsky weasel that has the good hair, but a more expnsive brush has more of the really good hair and less expensive is more of a mix. Not sure what's in the red sables, might be a different weasel, lower grade hairs off a Kolinsky, or squirrel butt fur.

Wow... I just realized. With the first two Learn to Paint kits (if they indeed are still including full bottles), and the 4 paint sets from the Kickstarter, I'm going to end up with nearly 60 paints! From 0 to 60 without ever having actually painted a mini (Ok, I've painted ONE). Pretty crazy thought.

I'll pick up the next 3 L2PKs when I'm done the first two. If they're not sold out...