Oldies but Goldies -original LaBella DeMornay 02105

I have been out of the hobby for ages. Here is another one I painted in an earlier life, when drybrushing was king.

It was drybrushed over a black undercoat as far as I remember, mainly old roundpot Citadel and "Miniature Paints by Gamecraft" (smell exacly the same, I belive these were made by the same manufacturer, what today sells as "Coat D'arms".

Some of these paints I have with price tags dated 1998 and earlier. And they are still perfectly usable (!).

And yes -I am reusing the same text as in other oldies but goldies posts. since it pretty much does say what it needs to ;)

post-9246-0-03774500-1362859779_thumb.jpg

post-9246-0-32351100-1362859788_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

All my old armory and partha paints were dried up. :( And all newer citadel, but they were expected to be useless anyway. Dryed too fast when they were new, and the containers were not good.

Old citadel and newer ones aren't bad, I think the only really bad ones were the hex shaped pots with the screw tops. Those were terrible, the inks would evaporate with the lid on.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aard_Rinn
      For the last few months since Reapercon, I've been focusing on pumping out minis to avoid the rut I got into last year. When I saw that Reaper had released the ghost sailors as metal figures, well... I knew what one of my October projects was going to be. I loved these guys as part of the Bones IV kickstarter, but I've not enjoyed painting plastic minis as much since getting back into metals at the Reapercon melt table, so I was psyched to order them and put in an order that night... Most of the rest I had from Reapercon, although I think I picked up Labella there too.

Either way, these guys painted up gorgeous and easy using my go-to one-two spirit technique! As a firm believer in spooky blue ghosts, I started by priming them white, then giving them a couple layers of Irrisen Blue from the new Pathfinder paintset... My old blue standby was from the HD line and the bottle has faded to the point of illegibility, but it was almost identical. Then once it's dry, I drybrush heavily with Linen White (pure white comes out looking starched, and bluer whites don't show on the blue, but linen is perfect) and... call it a day. Decorate the bases, maybe some pizza... 's good. That said, minis painted using this technique meet my #1 requirement for ghost minis: They're distinctive on the table!

I debated doing some OSL, but decided that it would wash the bases out, unfortunately. I like it better this way, with the bases nice and grounded, and the ghosts spooky and glowing! Lots of fun base details on these, too - 10/10 recommend picking them up if you have any sort of use for them!

Miniatures involved (not enough tags for them all): 03965: Ghost Pirate Cook, 03966: Ghost Pirate Quartermaster, 03967: Ghost Pirate Captain, 03968: Ghost Pirate Bosun, 03969: Drowned Nymph Ghost: Banshee, 03718: Ghost Bride, 03475: Labella DeMornay, Banshee, 03170: Lurien, Ghost, 14168: Gauren, Necropolis Hero, 03799: Female Wraith

03965: Ghost Pirate Cook

03966: Ghost Pirate Quartermaster

03967: Ghost Pirate Captain

03968: Ghost Pirate Bosun

03969: Drowned Nymph Ghost: Banshee

03718: Ghost Bride

03475: Labella DeMornay, Banshee

03170: Lurien, Ghost

14168: Gauren, Necropolis Hero

03799: Female Wraith

Of all of these, if I had to pick favorites... Hm... Ghost Bride and Gauren. They took the drybrushing perfectly and are super-fun figures!
    • By WhiteWulfe
      Every now and then, it's fun to give something new a try.  In this case, I had a spare Ingrid lying around since hubby didn't want to paint her, and this all started with me trying to show hubby how I do drybrushing...  Or at least attempt drybrushing, since I'm not all that good at it.  Thankfully, it helped him pick up the basics alongside what was written in the LTPK Core manual...

Then it turned into a downward, flaming spiral, but arguably, in this case, flaming is good. ^_^;;;;  I wondered, is it possible to drybrush an ENTIRE mini...  And even more so, can I do it with just FOUR paints, where two of them had technically already been chosen since I'd started on her cloak, AND none of them could technically be from the same colour group as another (so no reds if you have an orange or pink, etc)?  And even more so, using JUST the #2 flat brush I had picked out before for the drybrushing?

Well, uhmn....  First and foremost, it was fun, and that was the point of it all for me.  Just sit down, have fun, and see where things go.  In short, I'm calling it a draw - I've picked up on a few more things as basics to work from, and I'm fairly proud of that cape, doubly so since it wasn't anywhere near as long to do as other techniques.  Does it sell it as well as layering does?  Nope, but I'm okay with that!

Anyways, onwards to the results of some experimentation to see just what my own limits could be with such a technique, and what kind of colours I can come up with using just 9417 Void Blue, 9432 Desert Sand, 9600 Heart Throb Pink, and 29833 Ash Grey....  For the record, the two I had started with on the cape were Heart Throb pink as well as Ash Grey, since the Ash Grey was used to initially demonstrate what I was doing for drybrushing, and then the Heart Throb Pink was chosen as something that would very much so stand out so he could watch every stroke of the brush...  I wound up liking such, and so rolled forward to do the entire mini with drybrushing.  Oh, right, I'm not counting the primering of the mini, which was done with Grey Liner.... ~_^

The story I'm going with is that it's a cursed gem that steadily corrupts and takes over one's body and soul, and that she's pretty much completely overtaken by it...  Or something, as she's kind of a pink glowing eyed dusty grey skin coloured gnome now, with gear that hopefully looks fairly dated / well aged....
    • By Sushiroll
      I just got into miniature painting and decided to post on the forum to get some feedback and advice. This is only the second miniature I've ever painted. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out despite my lack of experience. I'm thinking of dry brushing his back a bit more for an even more intense frost/ice effect. I plan on varnishing and basing him as soon as the bases I ordered arrived. Any CC is welcome thanks for looking!

• By Vytau
      Hey all - just posting here to start a conversation with my fellow fans of Big Stompy Robots - I got down last night and painted up some Malvernis CAVs.  Because I have literally hundreds of models at this point, I'm speed painting, and setting aside a few models to serve as "heroes" or commanders, with which I will take more time and care.  

Even these, drybrushed as they are, need a little more blacklining and clean-up, but I'll probably do that Sunday.  

For now:  the first of my Khardulis fanatics! 

• By Lidless Eye
      Perhaps my favorite for uniqueness from the recent Hammer and Forge Kickstarter for Song of Blades and Heroes from Ganesha Games, I painted up a group of their Undead Dwarves.

I never thought I'd say I painted a Dwarf Vampire or Dwarf Banshee, but now I have!

• Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)