Sign in to follow this  
Corporea

77029 Bones Appaloosa Unicorn

Another sweet one, I like that velvety brown color and the white and black spot gives it a wild side that makes it even more realistic. The eyes an the base also turned out great.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. I would wonder if it is the photo or if the unicorn is so dark in reality. Maybe another highlight would bring out the muscle structure better, but that depends on what you are going for. The appaloosa idea is wonderful and well executed. The eyes turned out very good, too. They have a lot of character.

That might be the best colour scheme for a unicorn I ever saw so far. I am looking forward to more of your work.

• Like 1

I like the idea and the composition is great, the brown areas are all well done.

My problem is with the markings, to me they look to painted. In looking at apaloosa markings (because I wanted to be certain) I see 2 things, there is no gradual transition from light to dark when viewed from a distance it is a sharp change and the spots are the same colour as the rest of the dark body hair. So on the mini there should be no large blended areas creating a gradual colour change and the spots should match the highlight, midtone or shadow depending on their position.

The final thing is for a display piece the unicorn is disconected from the base and it looks like there is some plastic showing. If he's just a gaming mini those bits don't matter.

• Like 1

yup- I noticed it after I put up the photo and clipped the hoof. It'll be a display piece- my sister thinks us gamers are super crazy, so it will add to her collection of "pretty horses." I worried about the markings, but I'm always afraid of sharp transitions. Hmmn- I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and see if i can make it more realistic. Good call!

Stunning! A wonderful departure from the usual unicorn choices (e.g., bright shiny-and-boring white, or OH-SO-EVIL BLACK).

I would like to protest that my unicorn was not a bright shiny-and-boring white.

He was a bright shiny-and-boring white mixed with some blue.

*harrumph*

But Corporea's is much more awesome.

• Like 2

You are rocking the Bones, Corporea! Great take on this one. The eyes are awesome. It may be the photo, but I think you could take the highlighting on the mane up a notch or two.

• Like 1

That's a very nice job on the brown, and the expression looks just a touch wild and aggressive. I like it.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wickedshifty
      My Druid is circle of the Shepard- she can cast spectral animals to help buff the party. She is also an astrologist with a huge interest in space. She also has the robe of stars...

i made her spectral unicorn a space unicorn...because why not? 

She is also attached (although no reaper) to show the robe I painted...

• By lexomatic
      WIP
      This unicorn has a slightly lavender tone because my PC half-drow wild magic sorcerer, Grz'zilda, has already summoned a unicorn a few times through wild magic surges.

• By OptimumPlacebo
      Found something hiding in my drawer-full-o-minis! 

How It's Painted...

• By Komplex
      From my drop in on London, I also bought a unicorn. Hell yeah.
      I decided to do a classical pretty unicorn paint, and I had all these grand ideas of soft blue hued whites and stuff... And it all went horribly wrong because I drybrush a lot and am less than amazing at blends. Partly white blends. I actually ended up just outright covering up all the Vallejo paint on here (on the mane, tail, and legs) and just going to town instead with my usual GW paints, and then tried out my new Soulstone blue over all that. I was pleasantly surprised.

I ended up putting in loads of shade on him which I then tried to drybrush back out, but didn't get the gradual change I wanted overall. He's very tabletop, but... To be honest, girly stuff isn't my thing, haha. I like monsters way more. Perhaps I'll buy another and then try and paint that one as the evil twin =P

So yeah... Unicorn!
      My photos are grossly inconsistent atm :S

Paints used...
      Citadel:
      -Whie Scar
      -Fenrisian Grey
      -Drakenhof Nightshade 
      -Ulthuan Grey
      -Soulstone Blue
      -Gehenna's Gold
      -Auric Armor Gold
      -Abaddon Black
      -Pink Terror
      -Seraphim Sepia 
      -Temple Guard Blue

And some Vallejo Sky Blue. Urk.

• By Laoke
      Hi, I'm Laoke and you may remember me from such threads as Bones!  Do They Sink or Drown?  and Reaperbryan, Like Unto A Tiny God?.  I haven't been painting much of late:  been planning fiendish evil plans (mainly around swapping jobs, cities, and marrying the twisted evil artist of my dreams).  But a colleague of mine started a D&D campaign and asked if she could have a figure to represent her axe-wielding Paladin o'Shield Bashing Doomâ„¢.  And, like the fool I am, I said yes!

I took in my stash of human female fighters with shields, and she chose 77094: Trista, the White Wolf - I figured I could do a weapon swap easily enough, and I absolutely adore the figure.  My colleague is a russian living in New Zealand, so I went with a Red + Yellow motif for the figure.

First of all I put down the base coats: my apologies for the quality of the photos - my normal camera is in the shop.

Then I spent some time pretty much screwing the figure up and swapping the weapon out because I forgot to do it before I put down the base coat.  This is the finished result:  it's not what I'd consider my best work, but it was a lot of fun to get to this point : )

Also, I finished off a project I started last year:  77029: Silverhorn, Unicorn painted up from purple.

• Who's Online   29 Members, 4 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)