Sign in to follow this  
Trodax

Arena Rex: Gladiator Combat in a Mythic Age

I have always been weak to unique creatures. Euryale and this scorpian rider have really caught me. I haven't seen many well done lamias and this one imo looks promising.

Only 19 hours left on this sucker now!

I wish this KS had occurred six months ago :)

I know what you mean, if this was six months ago I'd most likely have been in quite heavily with my $$$ (trying hard to take it a bit more easy these days).

7 or so hours to go

Zahar & Sekmet are unlocked $35

Zahar on foot is unlocked $17

Hroka & her dead husbands horse are unlocked $35

Hroka on foot is unlocked $17

Ur-Kek is unlocked (no art yet) $21

(also you may have missed, as I did, that all the KS minis will come with a 6 x 4 art card that probably won't come with the retail versions)

Really dissapointed that this kickstarter has surpassed the previous stretch goal by $30k and the guys behind it haven't even bothered to announce another. Given that they've only raised $205k total, combined with their previous target numbers, that surely should have been at least one more unlock.

In any case, I pledged at the $265 level as the actual miniatures/game look great. I just think they should have been a little more active with updates toward the end. Perhaps I was spoiled by Reaper + Mantic and now expect too much.

They might not have planned any more models, they already seemed to be running out a while ago.

Then they should have looked at ways to encourage additional pledges. Even just something as simple as 'add two models from the field of Mars for $30' instead of $17 each. Additional freebies, even token ones or something along those lines could have helped overall. Not doing anything is a dissapointing way to finish the campaign.

Surely once they hit their target early on they would have realized having one final 'epic' reveal/unlock to finish the campaign off would be beneficial?

I don't know, they raised the funds they needed to launch their new product, and it sounds like they probably exceeded their most optimistic goals. If they made last minute changes or adds, they'd run into some of the risks being discussed in the Stories from kickstarter thread in this forum. They don't want to overextend and be unable to fulfill or lose money. The bottom line is they convinced 1100+ people to pledge 200+ on average on their kickstarter and ended at 11 times their initial goal, I'd call that a big success.

I don't know, they raised the funds they needed to launch their new product, and it sounds like they probably exceeded their most optimistic goals. If they made last minute changes or adds, they'd run into some of the risks being discussed in the Stories from kickstarter thread in this forum. They don't want to overextend and be unable to fulfill or lose money. The bottom line is they convinced 1100+ people to pledge 200+ on average on their kickstarter and ended at 11 times their initial goal, I'd call that a big success.

If a company got to a point where they figure they have "enough" money, even temporarily, I would be very surprised. Yes there are potential issues that could arise with further additions - but they could be solved as simply as stating that XYZ would be shipped in February '13 instead of December '12. As it stands, there is very little to convince people to buy 5 extra miniatures rather than 1 as the discounts/bonuses are minor.

I agree completely that it was a success, I just think that if they had managed it better it could have been more successful - which at the end of the day benefits us backers as well as the company.

I seem to also remember reading that they did plan on having other factions beyond what they showed. Something they could have done was make a single model of the other factions just to show that they did have plans for beyond the four factions they were currently working with.

But all in all I can not really complain, they did end up convincing me to up my pledge when they made that new level. Lol but now I just need to go look up Hirst arts and see what kind of moulds they have to make an arena.

Yeah, this one really ended differently compared to many other Kickstarters with regards to the updates and stretch goals coming out in the last few days. It pulled in an amazing amount of cash, without the creators really doing anything (in fact, they were notably passive in both directions, and never really answered the question "will there be another stretch goal?!" that was thrown out again and again in the comments section; this was most likely quite intentional). I think it was probably for the best for them, but having been involved in a bunch of Kickstarters, it did feel a bit... unexpected (it just goes to show what expectations people, myself included, have built up in this last, KS-heavy year).

It's really hard to guess where this would have ended up with a bunch of tactically placed, really tempting stretch goals ahead. Personally, I stayed with my Ludus Magnus pledge, and I'm happy with that, but to be perfectly honest I would have probably been seduced into upgrading if a freebie had been added to the Maximus or Ultimus pledges in the last day. But then again, that might very well have been a really bad idea for them, and the cash did seem to be rolling in regardless.

I'll be following the development of this game, and if I like what I see I'll probably pick up more of these gorgeous minis in the future. ::):

Honestly, what really sold me on this one was the cool female sculpts.

I don't tend to like female miniatures, as they tend to be overly sexualized or just men with long hair and big lips/eyes, but there were several models in this kickstarter that were distinctly female, and yet also practically armed/armored.

Now, I don't need to spend any more money for a year or two, but hey; that's just how it goes.

If a company got to a point where they figure they have "enough" money, even temporarily, I would be very surprised. Yes there are potential issues that could arise with further additions - but they could be solved as simply as stating that XYZ would be shipped in February '13 instead of December '12. As it stands, there is very little to convince people to buy 5 extra miniatures rather than 1 as the discounts/bonuses are minor.

I agree completely that it was a success, I just think that if they had managed it better it could have been more successful - which at the end of the day benefits us backers as well as the company.

A company can have too much money. I have no idea how much or how little planning these guys actually did, but if they slowed down or stopped because they were at capacity, they were very smart. They have a list of sculptors working on their line, and they are clearly going for high end modelling. If they wanted to add more, they'd either need to contract with new sculptors, rush the sculptors they have or push back delivery times. All of these are viable options, but they add an extra layer of risk to the project. Multiple shipping may seem like a good idea, but it can bankrupt a small company, shipping costs can get crazy.

The finished product delivered will be the measure of how successful they are, not how many dollars they managed to collect upfront. Reading through these forums the last several months, I've seen time and again examples of companies being too "successful" then failing to deliver on expectations. Even Reaper, with one of the most successful kickstarters in history are running into problems related to being too successful. And according to the posts from the convention, if they had been more "successful" they could have seriously hurt their company. Apparently their diminishing returns could have swung right into negatives.

I seem to also remember reading that they did plan on having other factions beyond what they showed. Something they could have done was make a single model of the other factions just to show that they did have plans for beyond the four factions they were currently working with.

But all in all I can not really complain, they did end up convincing me to up my pledge when they made that new level. Lol but now I just need to go look up Hirst arts and see what kind of moulds they have to make an arena.

The teases for new factions would be a nice idea, but I get the idea the game is still in beta testing mode, it's probably a good idea to finish all the kinks in what they have before adding more complexity. It also might be useful to get the game out into the hands of the playing community. Getting feedback might help with suggestions for new factions.

Honestly, what really sold me on this one was the cool female sculpts.

I don't tend to like female miniatures, as they tend to be overly sexualized or just men with long hair and big lips/eyes, but there were several models in this kickstarter that were distinctly female, and yet also practically armed/armored.

Now, I don't need to spend any more money for a year or two, but hey; that's just how it goes.

They do have some amazing looking females, and even though some are scantily clad, they still wear more than the males. Also Ban-Luca is the only figure with a breast plate, and it's a proper looking one, rather than an impractical boobies and/or cleavage shape. Viatrix is geared just like some of the males, and in a real rarity for a female, has a full helm on. I honestly can't think of another female with a covered face helm. Even Kitiara from Dragonlance, who's most iconic image was with a full faced helm has a mini with the helm missing.

• Like 1

A snippit of new info from the KS comments (hopefully pics will come soon)

Creator Red Republic Games about 22 hours ago

Currently being sculpted

Lupa

Proximo

Tiet Khebi

Hermes

Sven

Sculpt Finished

Otho awaiting receipt of master.

Infelix awaiting receipt of master.

Received Resin Test Production Runs

Otho