Cash's Workbench

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good! I picked this model up during the 12 days promotion, so I'll be watching this closely and quite likely borrowing some of your ideas. I wonder if the same painting technique would work with blue to make a blue fire efreeti...

Not to hijack Cash's thread, but yes. Start with white, and work your way out to blue. YMMV.

• Like 1

If I did this over, I'd probably take my advice from the skin blending thread and work it up and down from the mid-tone. I'd already have saved at least a half hour in adjustments. The problem is I'm used to using less gradient steps and glazing between them, so I keep making each step too wide and then have to go back and adjust it as I want it to be more like lava cracks rather than flowing magma as he is supposed to be a fire giant and not an Efreet or elemental. If I was going for the latter, I'd be close to done.

Re: contrast, that's about halfway done (and even so, only part of the torso has been pushed into red at all, I had to stop mid layer). It's a cool effect and already looks pretty good in hand, but getting it done closer to my vision is going to take a lot of work (and I will no doubt fall far short as usual :)). But I will be losing the contrast with the armored bits as I finish the gradient of the skin to dark, the armor will be similar to what I did for Anval Thricedamned. I'll leave off the hair around now, going back to add a few defined 'shadows' (white and yellow).

For those playing along at home, here's the half-time report:

Base in HD Golden Yellow : Pure White

Buckskin Pale (too fleshy, painted over)

HD Golden Yellow

Saffron Sunset

Saffron Sunset : Highlight Orange

Highlight Orange

Highlight Orange : HD Burning Orange

HD Burning Orange : Clotted Red

Clotted Red

• Like 1

Yeah, the plan is to keep sending it down to black, but I really took the long way there by painting every layer fully. I should've followed my nmm technique and blocked in the major colors/values and then detailed it out. I would've been almost done instead of maybe halfway there. But that's how we learn!

Speaking of learning, that's also why I left in the failed Buckskin Pale layer. I want to not only show what works, but stuff I backtracked on...and I had done the entire mini with it...Another thing I should've done was a draft on paper. I've been doing so many plastics that I got out of a lot of habits I had developed for paint jobs I intend to be better than quickies on plastic.

Nothing is a mistake if you learn from it!

• Like 1

The fire is looking good so far, building it up very slowly from light to dark seems to be the way to do it. I would be worried about getting the yellow and white to cover if you were working up from red or orange. I also found that starting from a mid shade you have to be careful about leaving the right amount of space for each lighter layer. By the time I got to the lightest shades I had run out of room and had to do it over again.

Continuing to work down in value. A few parts are starting to look pretty good but somehow the face got pretty jacked up. Not sure how I'll fix it, got a little discouraged looking at it and decided to call it a night after about two hours rather than start making mistakes.

Fire_Giant_WIP_11.jpgFire_Giant_WIP_12.jpg

I do like how the darkness of the face enhances the heat of the hair and horns. Initially I was going to make the horns dark, too...but I might go the other way and leave them pretty close to where they are.

• Like 21