• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK a wash ? what do you recommend? Mind this is first time Ive painted in over 2 1/2 years , so Im just getting my hand back in . Im still a bit shaky and Its hard holding my hand still anymore

Edited by Brushmaster
  • Like 1

I've done a lot of coloured armors recently for my Warhammer 40k troops, and found that easiest and quickest way for me is just to wash the entire armor with Citadel's Nuln Oil wash. Earlier I just watered down any black paint with a lot of water, but somehow the results are better with Citadel's wash.

After the black wash you propably need to paint some of the dirtiest spots again with whatever red you're using for the armor to avoid the dirty look. I on the other hand liked the dirty look and left my troops the way they were after the Nuln Oil wash.

For shading metallic painted armor I've used Reaper's Master Paint Blue Liner, thinned just a little bit with water (liners are already thinner than regular Reaper paints), or I've also used Reaper's Walnut Brown, thinned to a wash with water and Reaper Brush on Primer.

If you want a good affect on the weapon but not too complex then if you give the whole weapon a wash in 50/50 black/sepia or brown wash. Pay extra attending to the deep gaps. Then leave to dry thoroughly. Follow this up by painting all top surfaces of the weapon with the same metallic you used originally. Finally use a light silver to do the very tops of the weapon. This will give contrast and depth.

You've done really well and the shakes will go with practice :)

Edited by Dadcubed