SimCity (2013) & Youtube & Dumb People

The Inner Geek

So, I'm very peeved at EA for their rediculous DRM and lies in regards to the DRM. I refuse (on principle) to buy the Simcity game that I've waited for years and years to play. I mean, I really hate those guys.

However, I thought I'd watch some letsplay videos on youtube to make myself feel better about not buying the game. I watched a few by one guy who was a little annoying, but seemed to know his way around a simcity game... avoid pollution, build factories down wind, that sort of thing. Then I thought I'd check out a couple of other youtubers vids. Oh my dear lard. It was all I could do not to scream at the screen. Dumb move after dumb move, criminally bad decisions... it was a train wreck. How does someone who knows nothing about a game record themselves and post it for the world to see? And one of them even mentioned watching the videos of the guy who didn't suck... did he learn nothing? Furthermore these guys have a lot of views and the little thumbs up like thingies.

I guess this all boils down to my very low tolerance for dumb people. Very low.

Speaking of dumb, I may have to get the game, it looked pretty good. Damn.

• Like 1

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't buy it, it's awful. The guys on my usual forum love a trainwreck and they've been having fun with this one. I'll just link a few of the videos. I usually take their anti-DRM ranting in stride, but there are serious issues with the game's AI and multiplayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-CdkSqDSs

They cut way back on the city sim features to develop your little sims you could follow through a day, but they're deeply flawed and don't work. I think this image sums up the problem with the focus on Sim City 5's sims:

gmZvQoZ.png

• Like 1

I hate the "have to be online to play" development in games. I was looking at this the ohter day, got to that part, and said "nope".

I don't like being forced into things. I especially don't like paying for stuff I won't be able to use if my internet decides to have a day off. Matter of fact, I despise digital distribution "goods" in general. Book you don't own, movies you can lose any time. The entire series of From Earth to The Moon I didn't get to watch even though I paid full DVD price for it.

If I can't hold it in my hand, it's not a product and I will not give my money over for it.

ETA: If you want to know the full truth, I've considered life since about 2005 to be post-apocalyptic anyway. It's just more still in the Mad Max 1 mode than full-on Road Warrior, but I've been growing increasingly disgruntled since then. With few exceptions (like this site), I consider the internet to be a more destructive invention than all the atomic bombs.

It's like a few months back when the car lost all electrical power. No transmission, no steering, bad brakes, no signals, and couldn't even get the windows down. Zero backups for any of it, even the stupid digital instrument panel. But when the iPhone came out for roadside assistance, that had a back-up and the car immediately started talking to it.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy. A throwback. But if you're going to create a battery back-up for anything? Maybe, y'know, something to keep me from dying would be nicer than "bleep bleep! Smartphone detected!"

I haven't even waited for Judgement Day, I've already started my war against the machines. First to die was the smartphone.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 11

I have this hanging on my workbench (my for real workbench at work, not my painting desk):

ifixit_manifesto_900x1390.jpg

And I spent ten minutes last night under the old lady's car fixing the bracket for the muffler. I love my FJ, but my next truck will be a 40s-50s model so I can do all the work on it myself. And I'm not really a car guy, it's just not that tough yet very expensive.

Digital media, eh. It's the way the worlds going and I can still buy music from the artists if I need to (I always try to buy music at shows or direct from artists). For games and movies, I don't really care if they go away when I'm done with them. I haven't had any issues with the drm music I have, and I'm pretty picky about how I move it around, I often put it on my multitrack as a scratch track to play along with when recording. It hasn't been onerous, and the one time I had an issue (with windows activations for XP), a quick phone call resolved the issue.

I do wish people would put away their phones and enjoy life. I like to people watch and it's like watching a junkie.

Tl;dr - I'm not a fan of drm and technology in theory but it doesn't bug me too much in practice. Also, you should be upset that Simcity 5 is a crap game, no matter the drm.

• Like 1

I have a WWII era car repair manual. It's fascinating, but utterly useless today.

When I was a kid we had a family friend whose hobby was repairing old tractors. I later learned he had commanded some important element of the Pacific transport fleet in WWII, although I only found out because he had a really distinctive name and I found it online. He had never talked about it.

But I have a deep respect for people who fix things and can make them work.

Always On DRM is a bit different then digitally delivered goods. I have a ton of books lying around my house and frankly I kinda wish they were all digital. Of course, sharing digital media can be a bit of a pain and I would like to see some improvements there, but for me its the lack of clutter and boxes that is really the selling point for digital delivery.

While I've grudingly accepted that the future is digital, until I can stream or download any film or TV series I want, no matter how obscure, I'm keeping my DVD collection.

On-topic: - Pretty much every SimCity review I seen has said it could be a good game, but not until a simple traffic jam can no longer destroy your city.

buglips, tell me if you are going to ReaperCon. You sound like the only goblin this dwarf would ever hang out with. :poke:

Doesn't look like I'll make it this year, but I'm gonna do my durnedest to get there for 2014.

Also, on the note of repairing things. I have, to date, repaired two off-warranty xBox 360s.

I should note that I have no clue what I'm doing, what the problem may be, and completely lack technical skills for this sort of work. In fact, if we're honest, the only reason I went inside them at all was because I had the proper sized screwdriver bit and figured, why not?

But once I get in there, it's like it all makes sense to me. I traced the first malfunctioning box to one of the front USB ports. It had been damaged by a cheap 3rd-party peripheral and all the pins were bent back into it. I straightened 'em out, and life!

My recent repair job was a little more involved. I wound up disassembling the DVD-ROM drive. Once I got in there, I realized the laser tracking head was stiff. Use had worn the lube off. I smeared some sewing machine oil on with a Q-tip, put it all back together, and it works wonderfully - without catching on fire!

Both cases that saved a repair job or replacement. I was pleased.

• Like 7

Always On DRM is a bit different then digitally delivered goods. I have a ton of books lying around my house and frankly I kinda wish they were all digital. Of course, sharing digital media can be a bit of a pain and I would like to see some improvements there, but for me its the lack of clutter and boxes that is really the selling point for digital delivery.

All I can say to that is that Amazon will have a hell of a time trying to take back my copy of Animal Farm. They best show up with some strong goons.

ETA: But I do agree about clutter. Personally, I'm content with co-existence. If you have the option for digital, and I have the option for hardcopy, everybody gets a slice. For now, this situation exists.

But technology isn't big on coexistence, so eventually I'll be force-migrated into digital or simply have to give up on new works. I don't much like that idea. See, I've come 180 degrees. I used to be a real technophile, but I've since realized technology doesn't liberate - it conquers. It obliterates. It tolerates nothing else. It is, ultimately, the final expression of the use of force.

When we have reached a point where not having Facebook can deny me employment? Yeah, welcome to the Apocalypse. That's lunacy, but lunacy is the new normal. That and robots crawling all over my correspondence.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 1

I'm a sysadmin by trade but I don't use facebook. I support users that do, and the reason I use wordpress for my blog is that we're going to use it this year for the library's CMS. But facebook, I just don't get any use out of it. I don't care about 95% of the crap people write, and my fiancee can tell me if something important comes up (usually a concert announcement). I use a cell phone, but it's a free tracfone flip model that gets awesome reception and battery life and costs me $150/yr.

I'm comfortable with technology but only when it's a useful tool. I see no need for a smartphone but I have a lean, mean gaming machine I built hooked up to a 71" 1080p display. If the digital media gets too expensive to support, I can easily sell it off and just enjoy the simple life. Most of what I do is analog, my classical guitar...heck even my electric goes through a point to point wired stomp box and amp. When the power goes out, I have a nice relaxing night by the fire reading or playing guitar.

At the same time, I can disassemble a current gen iMac and repair it, those things are pretty funky. Protip: use tile suction cups to remove the glass.

• Like 3