Paint Day in Knoxville, TN 3/30/13

Wren

• Artists

Knoxville Area Miniature Painters is holding a free miniature painting day! We’ve had a few meets in the past, but I’m hoping to start having more regular meetings where painters can gather together to share tips and tricks, get feedback on our painting, and have fun hanging out with other people who enjoy the hobby.

Where: HobbyTown USA at Turkey Creek

When: Saturday, March 30th from noon to 6pm

Whether you paint for armies, role-playing games, display or just for fun, whether you like fantasy, science fiction or historical figures, all painters are welcome! All you need are your brushes and a miniature or three to work on. (Or just bring your brushes and buy a mini at the store!) I will have a large selection of Reaper Master Series and Reaper Master Series HD paints and some other supplies available for everyone to use, but you are also welcome to bring your own paints or any other preferred supplies. Extra lighting is the one thing that might be in short supply.

If you (or a friend you’d like to bring along) have never painted a miniature before but are interested in the hobby, I will also have a small selection of miniatures and brushes available so you can try it out.

My name is Rhonda Bender, my online painting nom de plume is Wren. I’ve won painting awards at Gen Con and ReaperCon, and I also teach painting classes at those events. I’m trying to get a club started as I would enjoy being able to share my hobby with people closer to home. You can see some of my work up at: http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Wren.

Interested painters are also invited to join the Knoxville Area Miniature Painters group on Facebook.

PS. I will bring a few Bones along with me to give people a chance to check out the new material and how it paints up.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this works out and you folks have a great time! I was just in Knoxville two weeks ago at Turkey Creek! It is a 3+ hour drive, so it s more than likely I wont make it there. I am trying to get my FLGS to host a paint and take, but they are hesitant due to unknown costs. Would you be willing to provide some guidance offline? PM me and I will send you my email address.

• Artists

If you travel to Knoxville occasionally for work or to see family, you could let me know next time you're taking a trip and I can see if we can organize something for that day.

I'll PM you for your other question.

• Artists

Hazor - we'll have another day, never fear! Sign up to the Knoxville Area Miniature Painters group if you're on Facebook and be sure to hear about it (or even get to vote on when it is), if you use Facebook. There was some discussion about April 27 as the next day. (Though I'm a little concerned I'll still be tuckered out from ReaperCon.)

Wumby - it'd be great to have you if you can make it!

• Artists

It's private in that you have to ask to be added to actually join, but you is set so you can find the group to do that. I had my husband test yesterday. Enter Knoxville Area Miniature Painters into the search box at the top of Facebook and it should come up. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll see if I can come up with something else.

• Artists

Many people seem to be having trouble finding the group on Facebook, particularly if you're using a mobile platform. We are working on figuring out how to make it more searchable or get a useful link.

estrus - I set up the day, HobbyTown provided the space and posted signs advertising the event. Our HobbyTown has a back room that's available for game tournaments and hobby events. They've put on some paid painting related classes in the past. One of the conditions for being allowed to do this is that my event had to be completely free. My local HobbyTown has one employee who organizes the game events and I think might be in charge of stocking board and miniature games, though pretty much everyone I've met that works there seems like a nice, helpful person. Even if the employees at your store aren't, maybe they might still be open to you trying to start something similar if you'd like to give it a shot. (Though yours might not have a back room like that. Ours didn't until a couple of years ago when they moved their location.)