Random Painting Advice

Flow

"Don't put your cup of coffee right next to the cup of water you use to clean your paint brush; you're bound to eventually make one of two possible mistakes, and both are unpleasant."

I learned this recently.

There must be other random tidbits of wisdom out there. Share!

• Like 3

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how tempting it is to use superglue on a hole in cloth (the oh noes, I got a hole in my pants at work! was what did it for me) do NOT do this. 1) it produces heat when it dries 2) it makes the cloth crunchy.....

Oh yes. Superglue and cotton can have... combustive results.

• Like 2

Not a personal experience, but well-learned: If you feel resistance when squeezing an uncooperative paint bottle, DO NOT add more pressure. Use a handy paper clip, wire, etc. to fix the clog, then try again. High pressure and paint bottles can result in messy, wasteful explosions.

• Like 6

Not a personal experience, but well-learned: If you feel resistance when squeezing an uncooperative paint bottle, DO NOT add more pressure. Use a handy paper clip, wire, etc. to fix the clog, then try again. High pressure and paint bottles can result in messy, wasteful explosions.

I actually came close to committing this error this evening. :bday:

Same thing with super glue bottles.

I find it helpful to store paint pots up-side down. They stir easier that way.

Never lick your brush to make it pointy.

Never ever ever ever ever.

Acrylic paints contain ammonia, formaldehyde, and pigments which although labeled "non-toxic"* may still be carcinogens. Artists who are cavalier about their brushes can get lip, tongue, or gum cancer.

Artists acrylics come with a warning not to eat, drink, or smoke anything while using them. This is to avoid accidents like the coffee cup incident mentioned above.

*Has no legal definition. "Toxic" does -- It means a substance has 1. been tested and 2. been found to be toxic. All "non-toxic" means is that the substance has not met both of those criteria. Think about that for a moment. Then think about how much money governments lavish, or rather don't, on safety regulations, testing, oversight, and enforcement.

• Like 2

I actually came close to committing this error this evening. :bday:

I did this today with my lunch- and a bottle of Sriracha. Where's the "on fire" emoticon?