• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a tough time taking photos of the Dragon. He is more of a grey color. I used Reapers Polished bone and washed him in a mix of that and black. First attempt at lava and I am happy with it. Hope

This is very well painted and your OSL is really nice. Not too much, but just enough to make this really pop. I love that the lava is flowing off the base, it gives the impression the dragon is goin

Lava Police   I was fine with the way the lava looked before... But you took it from looking 'fine' to looking total awesomeness. I love the little bit that drips over the side.   And with the

Posted Images

I like the object source lighting on the eyes on the eyes of the dragon, I think I would like it better if you added a little green stuff as eyes, and painted them the green color as well. Giving a better defined source of the green glow than the empty eye sockets.

I do really like your lava effect on the base, and the green globe in the hands of his undead controller. Excellent work!

• Like 1

Excellent work! I'm loving it hehe. Only thing that might have made it pop a touch more would be a bit of fiery lighting effects on the bones around his feet, but that might just be me. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks!

I painted Kaladrax 1st and sealed him without the throught of the lava base in my head at the time. Once I started on the base, I chickened out and didn't want to touch him with any more paint in case the base didn't work out or I wanted to create a new one in the future. He can still sort of stand alone.

I also chickened out on the full wash. I can this close (pinching my fingers together) to washing him all in green, to possibly give him a full body glowing effect.

I like the object source lighting on the eyes on the eyes of the dragon, I think I would like it better if you added a little green stuff as eyes, and painted them the green color as well. Giving a better defined source of the green glow than the empty eye sockets.

I do really like your lava effect on the base, and the green globe in the hands of his undead controller. Excellent work!

Cool, the green in the eyes is much better looking in person. A much darker green inside the eyes and runs out of his nostrils and all inside his mouth. An actual eye could be interesting though.

I like what you did.

But you made the same error with lava like most people.

Flowing Lava will get cold on the top, so there would be red and black in the middle.

On the sides were the lava hits rocks or came out of a 'hole', there is more movement and so there is more hotness visible.

(it is not a scientific explanation....)

Here some pictures:

Lava_flow_by_Karlbert.jpgVolcanic_lava.jpg

Flowing_Lava_by_hitokirivader.jpg

Lava_IV_by_horseradish427.jpg

Cooling_Lava.jpg

Edited by Teskal

If I thought Kally were standing on a lava flow after an eruption, I would agree with Teskal. As it is, it looks to me like we're actually inside a volcano at the lava's source. In such an environment, it makes sense to me that the lava would be cooler nearer the surviving rock and hotter where it is deeper. So I like the effect on this particular base.

Overall, really impressive display base.

Also, Teskal, I have a mini I need to paint that is standing over a surface-flow of lava, so thanks for the references!

(Edited to correct the autocorrect. Apparently, "eruption" wasn't in my phone's dictionary. Blecch.)

Edited by Sanael
  • Like 1

If I thought Kally were standing on a lava flow after an eruption, I would agree with Teskal. As it is, it looks to me like we're actually inside a volcano at the lava's source. In such an environment, it makes sense to me that the lava would be cooler nearer the surviving rock and hotter where it is deeper. So I like the effect on this particular base.

Overall, really impressive display base.

Also, Teskal, I have a mini I need to paint that is standing over a surface-flow of lava, so thanks for the references!

(Edited to correct the autocorrect. Apparently, "eruption" wasn't in my phone's dictionary. Blecch.)

Inside a vulcano, it would be more like this:

(Even there the edges are hotter than in the middle, only there the steam get out of the lava there would be in the middle more yellow.

>>Here<< (entries #2 - #4 in another forum are little more informations, it not only the hotness...)

ertaale0901.jpg

400_F_13035428_fOuoRfYUjB8biJpxm73kWQRvr

stocktrek-images-lava-lake-in-pit-craterUSGS_aerial-417_sml.jpg

great dragon, and I like how green glow effect ties both models together.

on the other hand, lava is not quite glowing. I think you'd have to go with bright yellow and even white for the hottest spots to make lave effect more convincing.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch for the feedback and compliments.

About my Magical Lava: ::(:

I looked at some lava bases online and I went with a lava technique that I liked the end result look of AND I knew was within my capability with both the supplies I have on hand and my skill level.

I wasn't trying to get perfect lava, just something people would recognize as lava. If you are looking at it and say "That Red Stuff Is Lava" or "A Skeletal Dragon is Surfin in Lava" then I am happy

I meant for it to be sort of an underground lava pool sealed off by the rocks, not really something with a lot of flow.

You are right Uber-Mensch. The colors were bright, but to my surprise the water making stuff dulled the bright yellow, red and orange...I didn't expect that. I tried some samples on paper of swirling the paint colors through the wet water stuff. My plan being to put a layer on top of the already dried water, but I could not get it to work as the paint would just diffuse througout the water.

If somebody has a suggestion to a way I can maybe use the Woodland Scenics water effect kit to enhance it, let me know.

Thanks!