9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!

Reaperbryan

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/9-year-old-building-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w?ref=friends_backed

My goal is to raise $829 to cover the cost of RPG Camp. But my Mom just told me about the Veronica Mars campaign so now I'm secretly hoping to raise more. My Mom said I can put any extra toward a laptop. I asked her if I raised even more than that, would she let me spend another week away at RPG camp. She said if I raised the money, she'd send me to RPG Camp all summer (which would be amazing because my friends at home are great but they're not really gamers like me so it'll awesome to hang out with hardcore gamers like me that are my age).

59a7f636e05ddd9ce45f90931003dce2_large.p

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh. So long as they're not idiots, the additional taxes won't hurt them. Remember, as you go up in brackets, you only pay the new percentage on money earned over the old bracket. The rewards are mostly cafe-press type stuff they can hire out to a company that specializes in making that stuff, and the game itself is digital, making the fulfillment a non-issue.

And I've supported far less worthy endeavors. Ten bucks tossed in.

NOTE:

My name is Mackenzie Wilson and I'm 9 but because you have to be 18 to have a project on Kickstarter, I'm partnering with my mom, Susan Wilson who told me to say she's 29 but I made her a birthday cake last week so I know she's 43.

Haha already I like her sense of humour!

• Like 2

Not sure it's appropriate for a 9 year old to be playing an M rated PS3 game...

I'm of the guess that most of the text is written by the mom and the gaming credentials of the 9 year old are highly exaggerated for effect. So probably not a concern.

The giddy child in me says this this charming, and cute as hell. Funny too. The mature game enthusiast in me wonders if I really would like to play an RPG made by an unripe mind of a nine year old, and just what kind of fantasy narrative such a mind would produce. The anal, unpleasant skeptic in me says it's all a semi cunning ploy by mom to get some free money with the assistance of her daughter.

I should get my multiple personality disorder checked.

• Like 4

I think this is awesome! Though I do agree that a 9-year-old's RPG might not be the greatest game in the world, it can't hurt to toss her ten bucks to support her dreams. (Another concern I have is that I attended similar camps in my youth, and a week is really not that much time.)

9 years old can't legally enter into contract so they are not contractually under any obligation to deliver.

I know it is not about the reward and that's why I think she should take this to Indegogo since kickstarter have a no fund my life policy.

Edited by Redshylock

9 years old can't legally enter into contract so they are not contractually under any obligation to deliver.

I know it is not about the reward and that's why I think she should take this to Indegogo since kickstarter have a no fund my life policy.

9-year-olds aren't allowed to make Kickstarters. That's why there's the thing right at the top about how she's "partnering" with her mom, who is an adult. Of course, the thing with Kickstarter is that it isn't a store, so no one is under any contractual obligation to deliver. And she isn't asking people to fund her life (well, a little bit) but ostensibly she's asking for funds to make an RPG, which is totally KS-legal. She just happens to be going to camp as part of that.

Hmm. I have a young niece. She likes to sing. Maybe I should start a kickstarter to kick off her singing career, with backers getting a reward of an MP3 recording of her singing Baa Baa Black Sheep.

I'm sure that recording her performance wouldn't cost very much, and any extra thousands of dollars raised can go towards my purchase of one of those new 70" Ultra HD 4K OLED televisions.

Okay. So I'm being a bit facetious here, and only a little, but something really bothers me about this. I'm surprised that The Powers That Be behind Kickstarter have this project the go ahead. It seems to me like they're opening up a big 'ole can of worms with this.

• Like 5