9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!

Reaperbryan

I'm not really sure how the creator being successful makes the project ineligible for Kickstarter though? They didn't plead poverty in the pitch at all, it's a project to fund a 9 year old in making a game. It's cute and assuming the story is above board having her want to earn the money herself rather than get it from mum makes sense. Whether that's an endeavour worth funding is up to the backers to decide.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand how the mother's wealth may influence the decision of somebody to back. Especially given that the daughter isn't able to do the Kickstarter on her own so the mother is project creator. I'm just not seeing how it violates Kickstarter guidelines. Fundamentally it's a project to fund the creation of a simple video game.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if it's just suffering from bad writing, but here is the reason giving for the kickstarter.

"we started this campaign to raise about $900 because Kenzie was going to camp and her brothers were asking why she was going to RPG camp b/c it's not like she was going to be able to make a good game. Together, Kenzie and I decided to do this campaign to prove to them that she was smarter than they thought and she deserved their respect."

Based on that she was already going to the camp before any of them ever thought to kickstart it. I'd hesitate to call the motives for the kickstarter cute or high minded (earning her own way doesn't seem to factor in to the explanation), but they certainly are very 9 year old in nature.

Okay. once again...

The project openly violates Kickstarters very own Guidlines about no "Fund my Life" projects-

"Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera."

I don't know what kind of lesson backers think the child is learning here other than if you want to go to summer camp and get a new laptop there's a place online called kickstarter where people will give you enough money to buy a new car.

I guess I just can't get over the fact that people have no problem handing over tens of thousands of dollars to a family of millionaires so that their child can be "taught a lesson."

• Like 3

No I get that you're saying this is "fund my life", but I don't agree. The first quote in the Kickstarter is: "Mean older brothers say she can't so my daughter's proving she can do what they can't - BUILD HER OWN RPG game AND pay for it!"

So because her older brothers are mean she wants to show that she can build her own RPG and arrange the funding herself. So the Kickstarter is for the RPG she intends to build, the camp is just part of the work she intends to do so she can build it. Building an RPG game isn't "fund my life", it's looking for support to build a product. She's getting more support than she otherwise would because of her story, sure, but every Kickstarter project creator has a story.

The last part of your complaint is a different issue. Getting $20,000+ for this is a lot of money and I agree it's not clear where that money would go. But if people are choosing to keep on backing it even knowing that then good on her. It doesn't make the project itself inappropriate just because you consider it to have been over-backed.

I think there's a lot going on with this kickstarter. I believe the mother is a very intelligent and savy business person and is indeed teaching her child a lesson. However from what I've read of the backers comments I don't think it's the lesson most think it is.

A lot of info has come into the light that wasn't at the beginning of this kickstarter. I totally agree that people should make their own informed decisions about backing this IF kickstarter allows the project to proceed. My only hope is that people will look at all the facts and think twice on their own reasons for whether or not they believe this is a project worth backing.

• Like 4

Truth to be told, the campaign would sit a lot better with me if it actually read like a 9-year-old wrote the text as opposed to someone with, most likely, a degree in marketing or communications.

If the 9-year-old girl actually wrote that text, she shouldn't need a crowdfunding campaign - there's companies that'd love to throw scholarships at her.

That aside, Kickstarter shouldn't even have approved the campaign. They can't possibly explain how "funding a camp for a specialized course that lets me do X" is functionally different from "paying for tuition for a specialized course that lets me do X", so the approval does not really sync with their TOS.

Of course, coming full circle here, someone with a degree in marketing or communications would have tried to get away with a Kickstarter campaign, because they'd understand perfectly well the better reach Kickstarter offers over IndieGoGo and how if Kickstarter really let it slip, people would happily throw money at them for the novelty value despite avoiding IndieGoGo like the pox for actually being about this type of project.

Nothing wrong with idealism, mind you, but I'd urge people to think long and hard about whether this is really the best project to support out of idealism.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 3

Did you see her last kickstarter? She was using her boys and veteran husband to try and sell superhero capes. To me, this kickstarter seems to be using her daughter and disabled veteran father to sell her "keep up" logo items ($50 baseball cap?), while still sending her kid to camp. I believe camp was already paid for before the KS started?

Maybe im wrong, but thats my take on it anyway.

P.S. With all the bullying her sons do to her daughter, maybe she should spend some of that cash on sending them to anti-bullying camp lol.

Anyone notice the "I think im a lesbian" t-shirt?

Edited by Ithaqua
  • Like 2

Did you see her last kickstarter? She was using her boys and veteran husband to try and sell superhero capes. To me, this kickstarter seems to be using her daughter and disabled veteran father to sell her "keep up" logo items ($50 baseball cap?), while still sending her kid to camp. I believe camp was already paid for before the KS started?

P.S. With all the bullying her sons do to her daughter, maybe she should spend some of that cash on sending them to anti-bullying camp lol.

Even if her sons is bullying her daughter she should not take side and bad mouth her son in public! It is murder for her son's social life! The sole purpose of doing so is to make more money (not to send her daughter to camp since she clearly can afford it). As a dad I don't approve of her parenting and have little respect to someone who will bad mouth her sons for money.

P.S. Just watched the video and the golddigger thingy itself is offensive, not related to the kickstarter and unnecessary and this whole kickstarter have nothing to do with studying (instead kickstarter encourage her daughter to play games instead of studying) and the sole purpose is ask for money because she is cute which is totally against the message in the video.

Edited by Redshylock
  • Like 1

Sorry to going full Kyle Broflovski here... It is just for the sheer amount of people who don't see the issues and just tell the creator to ignore the negativity and back for the sake of "helping the little girl" really make me feel like voicing the problem. I guess what people believe and do with their own money is there own business. I'll take John Kerry's advice about people's right. I am going to leave it here

Edited by Redshylock

I find the number of people who wish to be nannies to the world frustrating. So many of them and they keep posting the same thing over and over. I can and did find much of the supposed damning information on my own. If you have a problem with a project, don't back it, if you think it breaks KS's terms of service, report it. But to join a mob of vigilantes is beyond the pale. It is frightening to watch the mob mentality in action! Pissing in the Karma well makes your own drink salty...

• Like 2