Corporea

Corporea's Desk of Progress

With regard to your earlier comment on sculpy versus GS, I really think that's worked in your favour here. I addition to all the other delicious brain-candy going on with line and colour, there's a very nice (IMO) fluid movement from less defined to more defined as your eye travels from the "ground" up through the base, and a quiet firecracker of crisp, layered texture at the ranger and the leaves.

That seems to me to echo the art you posted earlier as inspiration, with the smooth, neutral plain interrupted with hyper-real shapes, only you've made it much more dynamic. This trades the unsettling lack of focal point of the painting (presumably deliberate!) for a sense of coalescing, of movement from formless or imaginary to concrete and real. Broad to narrow, surreal to real, weirdly inorganic to living, and blunted, shadowy forms to crisp detail.The ground shifts and writhes in slow swirls and eddies, the plant is quicker, its leaves flutter; but the ranger, he dances from place to place, at once the most concrete and the most elusive thing in the dreamscape.

• Like 6

I absolutely love the subdued color pallate, it makes it look very unreal and other-worldly, though not unrealistic (important distinction.)

I was going to comment on how the leaves stand out when I realized they were unpainted. ::): What are you going to paint them?

• Like 1

Y'all are making me all misty-eyed! Normally I'm not really a surrealist- I always identified more with the expressionists, because I usually try to convey some emotion with my work. But something about those infinite spaces in Tanguy's paintings really work for me!

I was thinking about the leaves last night- I'm tempted to paint them yellowish. But I could also do purple with yellow highlights. Or green to echo the vegetation segments. My top choice is yellowish. Any thoughts? I still will probably sculpt a few more, so I've got time. And I can always paint over them if I don't like the color!

I put some larger pics on my photobucket here if you want! The first 3 are big.

• Like 6

Corporea, you are a true artist in every sense of the word. I'm always on the lookout for your WIP/show-off threads to see what amazing stuff you come up with next. Truly inspiring and truly amazing to look at, in no time you'll be mentioned with some of the best painters and sculptors out there, I really believe it.

• Like 1

I like yellowish myself. you want to keep your pallete limited to the major colors you already have. A different blend of the yellow you already have I think.

• Like 2

I agree it needs something.  I'm just not sure where to go with it.  I like the greenish cast to the yellow leaves that is a really nice touch to differentiate it from the other yellow bits.  Maybe just one super vibrant splash of saturated color somewhere?  preferably on the ranger.  The colors are pretty cool thus far.  a point of bright red or orange would make a statement and provide a focal point.

• Like 2

The first thing that came to my mind was it needed something bright red too. Not sure where, but something as DF says to draw the eye. The ranger gets a little lost, but at the same time he IS trying to blend in so in not positive that the color should go on him... Wish I had more to add, but you are way above my simple skill level.

• Like 1

For me, the tree's leaves are more...vibrant? saturated? than anything else, so my eye is being immediately drawn to them. I'm really hesitant to give any sort of advice, since you're far beyond my skill level, but I can ask hopefully helpful questions!

Do you want the focal point to be on the ranger, or elsewhere? Would a bit of warmth in that area help make it the focal point? Do you want the ranger to completely blend in, or stand out slightly? He's doing an absolutely fantastic job blending into his surroundings, to the point that he nearly looks like part of the scenery himself! Is that what you're going for, or did you want him to be the first thing the viewer's eye sees?

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful than that, I'm still struggling with color theory and saturation/desaturation at a fairly basic level.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rubegon
      As commanded by the very, well, commanding @Glitterwolf, I’m going to paint this big boy.  I’ve been eyeing him on the corner of my desk for months now, and to be honest I’m a little afraid of him.  He’s probably going to look somewhere between terrible and mediocre by the time I’m done, but at least he won’t be grey anymore.

I’m probably going to use the airbrush that I barely know how to operate quite a bit.

I think we’re going to need a bigger brush ...
      I only have up to a size 2, which I guess would be like mowing the grass with nail clippers.  Should I get a size ... 4?

All are very welcome to critique/comment/heckle/throw tomatoes/etc.  I need and will be very grateful for any advice and assistance I receive, but please don’t be too disappointed if it doesn’t do very much good.

• By Rainbow Sculptor
      Hey everyone! It's been a long while since I could post on here, I've been really busy with work. I've started a new commission piece from a client I won't name just yet but whom has given me permission to share my sketches/WIPs/ and sculpting process with you guys! 

The project is to sculpt several nereids/sirens/water nymph type characters. One full body and at least two others partially submerged. They should be gorgeous and make men want to leap to their deaths so I'm avoiding any monstrous type features. Although we want them to be mostly humanoid I will be adding in some little features to indicate their magical/watery/fey nature. 

Here are my initial sketches where I'm exploring posing, body types, and the kind of shape language I will want to use in the sculpts. My drawing hand was failing me today so these are REALLY rough but I got my ideas down and I'll have enough to move to the next stage which will be creating a mannequin in ZBrush.  

*Apologies for the more sexual images. These aren't intended to be offensive in any way merely educational on the topic of character design*

• By Pegazus
      Yes, a 2020 ReaperCon WIP! And a massive undertaking at that. I'm trying very hard not to nerd out and put this whole project into, er, Project. There's just so many pieces to keep track of, that maybe I'll just use this first post to keep track of things.

Some background stuff, starting with a quote from the "Paint a giant robot! Group WIP" where I wrote some of what's planned:

You can read the rest of that post here: Paint a giant robot post and a second one to see where I'm going with this: PLA print post in same topic

Biggest takeaway is that, while useful, my PLA printer can only do so much. I have a resin printer backed on Kickstarter, but considering it's now 3 years late, I don't think I should hold my breath on it ever showing up. Especially when I can get a new Elegoo Mars resin printer with more capability for relatively cheap (<$300). The PLA machine was bought with both hobby and household goals in mind, and it's served well. But the resolution just ain't there! More on that down the posts.

I also had the chance to gain some experience on  paper plants at ReaperCon (Main post for that in the Terrain section post here: Vellum Paper Plants - Alien Jungle (WIP)

Basically, I have the scrap booking machine to make my own alien plants:

Which now leads me to this WIP. This is going to tie all those pieces together. The robot WIP will still be to get a good camo scheme, but that print job is not going to be used for the final diorama. Instead, that will be the resin printer's job. So, let's break down the WIP work that I can see so far, and will be edited later to add things and mark completions.

Tasks to be completed:

Figures Needed
      Wight (being pulled down backwards, caught by hidden lines) Gremlin Unit 01 (stole a supply crate and ran; actually just bait to get the larger CAV to follow) Gremlin Units 02 and 03 (trip line pair, successfully snagging Wight across the chest) Gremlin Units 04 and 05 (trip line pair, successful across another part of the chest) Gremlin Unit 06 (burner unit, cut Wight's left gun in two) Gremlin Units 07 and 08 (trap door unit, hiding entrance to jungle path with camo doors strapped to them) Gremlin Units 09 and 10 (trip line pair, successful across right thigh) Gremlin Units 11 and 12 (trip line pair, broken cable across chest, possibly falling over from sudden jolt) Gremlin Unit 13 (ECM unit, some large radar dish looking thing) Gremlin Units 14, 15 and 16 (cargo units, loaded up with stolen supplies and headed out) Gremlin Units 17, 18, 19, and 20 (gun units) Gremlin Units 21, 22, and 23 (missile units) Gremlin Unit 24 (large gun unit) Gremlin Unit 25 and 26 (junked units; scavenged for parts?) Gremlin Unit 27 (2nd style missile unit) Gremlin Unit 28 (personnel carrier unit)  
      Wight Conversion
      Right Leg: cut from pelvis; reposition Feet: cut off both feet and swap positions since the tread is only on one foot Base: cut away from right foot, possibly keeping full base around left foot Left arm (maybe): cut gun into two pieces, having one falling to the ground after being cut by a heat lance/chainsaw rope  
      Details to be included
      Camo doors at front leaving marks on the dirt path, but hiding the ambush from the main trail Pieces of old broken larger CAV units around Wight gun cut in two, maybe showing inner details. May have to 3D print an add-on piece Dust being kicked up by the stolen crate (going to try using dyed cotton) IN WORK One cable snapping dynamically, with several bends and twists (superglue on thread?) Multiple vehicle tracks around camp Campfire and tents for people A latrine Other camp details (laundry, chairs, sports equipment, bored carvings, etc)  
      Jungle Plants (V=Vellum cuts, B=bought, S=Sculpted, F=Found, P=Printed)
      Large lotus flower like plants, but dry land and maybe odd colors with a large conifer cone growing from the middle (V) Jester hat plant (balls on stems around a central point) (V) COMPLETED Spiky yucca like plant (V) Jagged leaf plant (V) Tentacle plant (V) Tripod trees (three spoke trunks) (V) Large palm fronds (S) Coral like trees (P) Horn tree (lots of horn shaped leaves from a central trunk) (P, V) Ball vine (like ivy but with odd leaf shapes) (V) Cabbage-like jungle plants with large wrinkled leaves (V) Fuzzy vines (thin wire coated with static grass) (S) Anything I can buy from N/HO scale train setups and painted alien-ish (B) Reaper figures that can be clipped and painted to be plants (B) Odd trees with strange leaf shapes (onion shaped) (V) IN WORK Random grass-like jungle plants (V) IN WORK Stem ends from mandarin oranges (seriously, pull one off and look at it, stem towards the ground) (F) Anything and everything else (VBSFP)  
      Base mounting system
      Design and print modular tiles with bristles on top (basically, Bristle Block toys) Allows mounting of all the above jungle plants Fill in around plants with thinned plaster via a syringe to create the ground surfaces
    • By cosxcam
      First real attempt at object source lighting.

Model was zenithal primed and painted using glazes and inks

• By zaran
      I took the shaded metallics class at Reapercon this year and decided to play around with the technique to get a nice and grimy look on the Maggotcrown Ogre Juggernaut from Bones 4, who I’m calling Zombie Shrek. I want to really play up the idea that this skeleton has been in murky swamp water for a long time. 

I’ve blocked out the general metals I want to use and have started playing around with a few sections. Any feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

• Who's Online   41 Members, 0 Anonymous, 217 Guests (See full list)