Corporea's Desk of Progress

You may be all over this already, but don't forget that the mirror would cast light "up", making its surface a light source for both "pictures"; but I'm not sure how pronounced it would be for your work here.

wey-bridge-light_reflection-rtalibart550

It seems like that would be very tricky to pull off with the color/monochrome switch. I wonder how it would work?

• Like 1
  • Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably subsumed under "secondary light source". The painting does it quite simply. The bauble shows a little, but fairly sharp, light from the reflection, just above the waterline, and some bright white hot-spots on the right hand side. I was happy to find that, since it was the effect that was preying on my mind as I looked at your progress so far, simply represented. It would be like a subtle OSL.

I think it was in my head from movies where the effect is often exaggerated, and the character's faces lit from below by the reflections off the water, so I was worried it was not-real.

Perhaps the greyscale side could have a simple, warm/yellow OSL "shining" from the coloured side, and the coloured side a washed out pale grey-white light "shining" from the monochrome side?

I offer this idea in all humility, as you are an infinitely better painter than I am. I am just trying to imagine what might defeat/enhance the illusion. Also it is possible that if only one side got the OSL, that side would register as more "real", since the shapes would have true lighting, making them 3D, whereas the other side would seem flatter.

• Like 2

ah!  I see!!  Hmmn.  I was going to try to keep everything monochrome up top, but I could do a test spot and see how it looks with a hint of color-cool idea!  It might work better if I just do it with white highlights on the feet- I still haven't painted them yet, so there's no contrast there at all.  hmmmn.... must consider....  I get what you're saying and it makes perfect sense!  thanks!!!

• Like 1

Probably subsumed under "secondary light source". The painting does it quite simply. The bauble shows a little, but fairly sharp, light from the reflection, just above the waterline, and some bright white hot-spots on the right hand side. I was happy to find that, since it was the effect that was preying on my mind as I looked at your progress so far, simply represented. It would be like a subtle OSL.

I think it was in my head from movies where the effect is often exaggerated, and the character's faces lit from below by the reflections off the water, so I was worried it was not-real.

Perhaps the greyscale side could have a simple, warm/yellow OSL "shining" from the coloured side, and the coloured side a washed out pale grey-white light "shining" from the monochrome side?

I offer this idea in all humility, as you are an infinitely better painter than I am. I am just trying to imagine what might defeat/enhance the illusion. Also it is possible that if only one side got the OSL, that side would register as more "real", since the shapes would have true lighting, making them 3D, whereas the other side would seem flatter.

That's an interesting notion. I understand Corporea's concern about breaking the strict monochrome / color divide. I'd hate for her to break the core concept of the piece.

On the other hand, a subtle warm highlight on the figure, mirrored by a subtle cool highlight on the reflection could tie them together into a single whole. (Since it is a painting, and not a real mirror)

A challenge for the cool lighting would be that cool colors against warm tend to look more like shadow than highlight, and I really don't know how to solve that! This whole project is way beyond my own artistic acumen. It's cool to see somebody else pull it off. ::):

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 2

:wow:

I...I have no words. It's like you're channeling the pure essence of awesome. Which, granted, you do all the time, but for this project, it's like you've channeled ALL of it. Your mirror idea is mind-blowing, and it's already looking incredible!!!  :wub:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

Everyone be jealous of me for a moment, okay?

It turns out that Corporea and I have mutual friends who live in my town. She came to visit them and we all had a paint party this afternoon. I was able to see this piece live and in person and it is stunning. Absolutely stunning. Cannot wait to see it when it is finished.

• Like 11

All I can say is "I AM GOBSMACKED BY THIS"

How Flippin incredible to see this coming together.

Corporea, this is music, its a symphony, its just plain incredible.

You have created MAGIC.. Brava !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 4