The Beginner's Nemesis: Painting Eyes

ChudMacGud

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little trick I just figured out to help paint eyes, Lick (Ewww) your brush Or spit on your fingers (also ewwwww) and the roll your brush between those fingers and you get a Really nice spike for doing eyes or tiny details like buttons and so on.

DO NOT LICK YOUR BRUSHES!

Seriously, nothing is good for you. Pingo will gladly tell you why this is *such* a bad idea.

-DD

The fingerspit, is ok, though. I prefer to roll my paintbrush as I pull it out of the pallette.

Little trick I just figured out to help paint eyes, Lick (Ewww) your brush Or spit on your fingers (also ewwwww) and the roll your brush between those fingers and you get a Really nice spike for doing eyes or tiny details like buttons and so on.

DO NOT LICK YOUR BRUSHES!

Seriously, nothing is good for you. Pingo will gladly tell you why this is *such* a bad idea.

-DD

The fingerspit, is ok, though. I prefer to roll my paintbrush as I pull it out of the pallette.

Acrylic paints contain formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, and ammonia. While some pigments have been thoroughly tested and found to be relatively harmless, others have not. Some pigments belong to chemical families which include known carcinogens.

People who lick their paintbrushes are at risk of serious health problems, including lip, tongue, and mouth cancer.

The big rule is you don't lick your brush, not even if your paints are homemade from benign things like eggs and clay (which many of mine are), let alone when using commercial paints of uncertain ingredients.

This is also why many paint labels warn against eating, drinking, or smoking while painting.

I learned to point my brush using a rolling motion over a paper towel. Fingers are okay too.

I admit to brush licking before I put it into paint, and not after. It works. :bday:

I have been known to "cheat" on eyes:

http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/Pen-Archival

Micron pens from like half a mm down to .2 mm. Makes keeping your hand steady a little easier.

=-J

I offer that this is not cheating at all. It's just another means of applying ink to the target. I think the only true "cheats" are applying photochop cleanup on a photograph of a miniature after the fact, or other such shenanigans.

There is nothing wrong at all about using micron pens. It's ink on a point!

• Like 1