I still say this guy's oversized for a goblin. I compared him to Reaper's human figures. He comes in at just one head lower than most of them, which, given his stance, would make him a little taller than the average human if he stood up straight. Goblin indeed, sir! Anyway, the WIP thread is here.

spacegoblinleft_zpsa91d8843.jpg

I have some forgecraft steampunk bases, so I decided that would fit him a little better than building fantasy-style terrain. This is a space goblin, after all. Putting him on there would have been a lot easier if I'd thought about putting him on the base before painting him. Using the saw was a nervewracking affair, and needless to say, some emergency paint repair was needed. He needed some touching up anyway.

spacegoblinback_zps24a1817d.jpg

I added some highlights to his shirt with a mix of linen white and imperial purple, then deepened the shadows with some drakeshade.

spacegoblinright_zpsed524f5e.jpg

I also worked over the sword some more, though I don't think it's quite where I'd like it. Still, if I keep fiddling with it, it'll never be done.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Painted up another couple of these guys.

captaingobbofront_zps2be4ffb4.jpg

Here we have the intrepid captain. I decided to go for somewhat brighter colors for these two, so he has a red uniform and yellow/orange shoulder pads.

captaingobboback_zps45807907.jpg

You can see my first real attempt at wet blending on the shoulder pads, where I highlighted with lemon yellow on saffron sunset. Came out better on some places than others.

1stmategobbofront_zpsf7a020fa.jpg

Here we have the intrepid first mate. I had fun doing the goggles. Also tried some wet blending, though I dunno how well it came out. He's also my first major practice with Coat D'Arms paints. Legs and sleeves are done in goblin green, chainmail in chainmail with an armour ink wash.

1stmategobboback_zps3246210a.jpg

Here's the back of him. I used bases from the same package I used for the first space goblin. Sadly, I don't think they came out all that great, but I was pretty much sick of these guys by then and wanted to be done, so they'll do for now.

spacegobbogroup_zps93a577c8.jpg

Group shot! A crew of space goblins ready to pillage the galaxy.

• Like 3

Nice Job. I have the red guy as well, but haven't gotten around to painting him yet. The AA "Malig" goblins are pretty neat figures that have aged pretty well for 20 year old sculpts.

Regarding the size, the entire AA "Ion Age" line of sci-fi figs runs pretty big. They are taller than alot of modern figs, with human figs coming in around 30mm or larger.

Edited by Eilif

Hmm. Looks like they're still being produced....

Nah. It's not likely I'll ever have a need for even these three, let alone a shipful of the little blighters. Still, while I think they're a bit long-legged, and some don't seem to care for the sculpts, I enjoyed painting them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.