Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Thunderbolt Mountain Wood Elves

Spinward Bound's thread, http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47632-wood-elves/?hl=%2Bthunderbolt+%2Bmountain , alerted me to the excellent Thunderbolt Mountain Miniatures, sculpted by Tom Meier, legendary founder of Ral Partha.

These are jaw droppingly beautiful (if a little small by modern standards).

I have started working on the Wood Elf Lord and Lady in Traveling Clothes.

post-8022-0-20459700-1364137480.jpg  post-8022-0-66380400-1364137503.jpg

My usual method is to prime the minis with white acrylic paint, then wash with thinned down burnt umber to be able to see the details.  On the male figure (on the right), his entire outfit except for his boots and cape are still on the umber wash.

They are really tiny, especially their faces.  Here's the lady elf next to Reaper 03566 (also a WiP) for comparison:

post-8022-0-54778400-1364137634.jpg

And here are close ups of those tiny, tiny faces:

post-8022-0-70657800-1364137657.jpg  post-8022-0-65359100-1364137666.jpg

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 6

I love Meier, he's the guy that got me into the hobby in 78 or so.

I also like the work on that Reaper model, it looks like what I was trying to achieve with the leather on Ororo recently. Very nice!

• Like 1

Did some more work on the lady elf, adding more color. Her gloves and boots are currently lilac, and I put some of it as if reflected elsewhere on her outfit.

post-8022-0-51106000-1364766464.jpg

There's another wood elf lady also. I'm seeing if I can paint her dress as if it were transparent.

post-8022-0-74349500-1364766514.jpg

• Like 7

Oh I love the idea of transparency! Are you just mixing/blending in your flesh color or highlighting with it? I love the pastel look.

I'm not sure if I'm using the proper terminology. All of these figures were primed with white, then washed with burnt umber.

I like to paint flesh tones and faces first, unless there's something major "under" them, like cape interiors, as there are in these figures.

I used to do fairly complicated flesh mixtures, but I have lately found that for light-skined minis a simple mix of titanium white and burnt sienna generally works a charm and is very easy to duplicate should I need to mix more later.

I did not originate the transparent effect. I don't know if I would have thought of it on my own. I saw a mini that had used it with great skill, and some helpful soul gave a general description of how to do it.

I didn't do this with glazed flesh tones, it's all blended (although I bet glazes would work too). There are two colors to begin with: a quite pale blue-green for the dress and a simple mix of white and brown as described for her skin. All the colors on her gown are mixes of these two.

I like to start with a mix in the middle and go in both directions, but there are lots of ways to do this. How I did it this time was to mix about equal proportions of both colors (getting something like a neutral grey, oddly enough) and apply it as a base coat to the dress. While it was still wet I painted flesh tone on the clingiest parts, where her skin touches the fabric, so that it ended up the color of her skin with just a breath of dress color. Then I painted dress color over the folds and bits of fabric that hang away from her form.

It's still rather rough, but it looks pretty neat.

Oh, and one thing I really really like about what I think of as the "older" wood elf lady (she has more ceremonial dress and a bird-shaped crown)?

She has a bit of a belly. She is beautiful, but soft and a little more full than most elf minis.

Isn't that gorgeous?

• Like 1

It is gorgeous. I prefer my elves to be more willowy but at the same time it is nice to see some more natural curves on a female figure.