So, preparing for both the KS Bones and my L2PKs, I'm scouting out supplies that people have been listing in different topics.

One of the first things that was pretty easy to find was Testors Dullcote, which many people seem to swear by

I was also thinking of picking up a spry on Primer, and the gloss finish (for better protection). Thing is, someone mentioned using Krylon's Crystal Clear, but I cant actually find that on the Michaels website. I did find a lot of -similar- things, that MIGHT work, so I thought I would turn to the greatest resource I have access to, you, the community.

Faced with the following, which (if any?) would you suggest? Or should I hunt around more, try and find the 'regular' Crystal Clear?

Krylon® UV Resistant Clear Coating

Krylon® Lacquer Spray

Krylon® Clear Polyurethane

Krylon® Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze

I'm sure at least 2 of those are completely off topic (middle two), but I thought I'd list them just in case. At first I thought that last one would be the route to go, but reading its description, sounds like it might be TOO thick, especially if I plan to throw some dullcote on after.

Also, if anyone has had experience with their primer:

Krylon® Indoor Outdoor Primer

Is that something that would be suitable for Miniature painting?

Any help on this topic would be much appreciated!

Edit:

Hmm... Just realized all of those links are on the American site... the Canadian site shows no results for Krylon, Testor, or pretty much anything else of use... This could prove to be an issue, and this is the second time now that I've found a bunch of craft supplies I could not order. Still, I'll check in to my local Michaels regardless, in case its just the website that sucks. And even if I cannot buy these products here, I'm sure the answer will be useful to someone!

Edited by jaryth000
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan on making the rounds, Canadian Tire, Wallmart, Michaels, find out who has what, and for what price. Re-reading what I had read before, I did find an acceptable answer to the question however.

TheCraft 34 stated that the UV stuff works fine. Still, I'm open to others opinions!

What I've found to work very well in making an extremely durable coating is alternating a Laquer-based and an Acrylic-based sealer, making sure to start with the Laquer (I start with Testors Gloss, then Krylon Crystal Clear, then Testors Dullcote, then an artists flat fixative). Works great, and the paint stands up to a ton of abuse (though the miniature itself can still break). It also comes out looking like you didn't put anything on it. Of course, the downside is that it is a lot of sealer per mini...

• Like 1

I have usually found a gloss varnish of pretty much any kind will work OK. The polyurethane should work OK but some of them can yellow. If it's for sealing arts or crafts it's probably OK. I use a general purpose all-primer for metals, but primer seems to be sub-optimal for Bones. Maybe try to find a spray acrylic? They do exist now.

• Like 1

I would not buy it at Michaels (unless you have one of their 50% off coupons) because the markup on paint there is horrible. $4 at the hardware store vs about $7 at Michaels.

The can looks like this: http://www.michaels.com/Krylon%C2%AE-Crystal-Clear-Acrylic-Gloss-Coating/cp0408,default,pd.html

or like this: http://www.krylon.com/products/crystal_clear_acrylic/

or this: http://www.createforless.com/Krylon+Crystal+Clear+Acrylic+Spray+Gloss+11+oz/pid20512.aspx

All clearly labeled.

• Like 1

I tried the Michael's Gloss early on and found it really heavy; though maybe I was just using it wrong. It was so glossy that it seemed off even after putting a matte varnish on it.

I've been using the P3 brush on stuff and really it seems adequate. I generally just do a plain matte coat and dodge the gloss step entirely.

@Baugi: thanks for the info; I should have checked jaryth000 location before directing him the US stores. By the way, I have notice quite a difference in what Michael's stock here in Texas as opposed to where I came from on Long Island in New York.

• Like 1

So, preparing for both the KS Bones and my L2PKs, I'm scouting out supplies that people have been listing in different topics.

One of the first things that was pretty easy to find was Testors Dullcote, which many people seem to swear by

I was also thinking of picking up a spry on Primer, and the gloss finish (for better protection). Thing is, someone mentioned using Krylon's Crystal Clear, but I cant actually find that on the Michaels website. I did find a lot of -similar- things, that MIGHT work, so I thought I would turn to the greatest resource I have access to, you, the community.

Faced with the following, which (if any?) would you suggest? Or should I hunt around more, try and find the 'regular' Crystal Clear?

Krylon® UV Resistant Clear Coating

Krylon® Lacquer Spray

Krylon® Clear Polyurethane

Krylon® Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze

I'm sure at least 2 of those are completely off topic (middle two), but I thought I'd list them just in case. At first I thought that last one would be the route to go, but reading its description, sounds like it might be TOO thick, especially if I plan to throw some dullcote on after.

Also, if anyone has had experience with their primer:

Krylon® Indoor Outdoor Primer

Is that something that would be suitable for Miniature painting?

Any help on this topic would be much appreciated!

Edit:

Hmm... Just realized all of those links are on the American site... the Canadian site shows no results for Krylon, Testor, or pretty much anything else of use... This could prove to be an issue, and this is the second time now that I've found a bunch of craft supplies I could not order. Still, I'll check in to my local Michaels regardless, in case its just the website that sucks. And even if I cannot buy these products here, I'm sure the answer will be useful to someone!

Is there a college or university in your town? If so chances are there is an art supply store too. I have found some amazing deals at the local art stores around town - and some amazing staff to answer pretty much and stupid question I can come up with!

• Like 1

First off, thanks to everyone who voiced their opinion.
Based partially on Baugi's suggestion, I went out today to check prices and maybe pick a few things up, but when hitting Canadian Tire I found more than I anticipated. Then I realized I'm a lazy lazy person that does not have a car (Unlike some, I really have no issues with Public Transit). As such instead of going to other places as I had planned, I just picked up most of the stuff from Canadian Tire. Some of its not bad priced (The Krylon cans where $5/can, so not bad) while others where most likely more than I could have gotten them other places, or not as good of quality, but should still get the job done (the files).

painting_supplies_1.jpg

Noted in the picture, I picked up a Desk Lamp/Magnifier (which actually works quite nicely!) (as well as an extra bulb thing for it, as it looks pretty specialized), Krylon Crystal Clear, Krylon Primer, a hobby knife set, a file set, a dremel kind of thingy (not the best quality, but only $15 so not bad!), a case to put paints in (when I get them) and sponges.

Not sure if I'll do the whole We Pallet thing, but I figured that $3 for 8 sponges cant be too bad. Might like, cut them in half or something (16 half-sponges!).

All in all not a bad days worth. Still need to pick up the actually -art- supplies part of it at some point.
Still on my list of things to buy for sure, based on what I've seen others recommend. If and when I can find them...
-Testors Dullcote
-Winsor and Newton Series 7 (#1,#0,#000)
-Elmer's Tack (adhesive putty stuff)
-The Master's Brush Cleaner
-Painting Mat
-A Pallet of some sort

And my on my list of "maybe buy if can find, or wait till I get better at painting":
-Liquitex Gloss Varnish (paint on instead of spray)
-Liquitex Slow-Dri
-Liquitex Flow Additive

Also,

Is there a college or university in your town? If so chances are there is an art supply store too. I have found some amazing deals at the local art stores around town - and some amazing staff to answer pretty much and stupid question I can come up with!

Couple Colleges and Universities actually (U of Winnipeg, U of Manitoba, Red River College, CDI (which is not so much a college but still)). And yes actually, I did manage to find an art place near Red River that looks quite promising! As an added plus, when I was checking out Winsor and Newton's website, this place was listed as a qualified distributor, so that only adds to the goodness. I'll have to find a day to swing by there and check it out. Its called Cre8ive.

On a related note to this whole "getting supplies" thing, the Winsor and Newton brushes everyone goes on about, every site I check seems to have completely different product lines (or call them different names). The brushes everyone's using, are they actually Watercolor brushes? or the 'miniatures' variant that seams to exist? Or maybe some other sort of brush entirely?

Yes, you want the watercolour W&N S7 brushes. They are indeed intended for watercolours, but watercolour brushes work well for our hobby, primarily because they are designed to hold a lot of very thin paint, and most mini painters work with thinned acrylic.

The brushes, palette, and brush cleaner will be found at an artist's supply store, and the rest at Michael's. You may need to hit a hobby store for the dullcote... got a model train place nearby?

Edit: Checked "Cre8ive" site. I don't see Series 7's listed in their brushes, and as I said elsewhere recently, the W&N Artist's Watercolour line are NOT the same thing. They're not nearly as good, though the smallest sizes are ok if you can get them cheap.

Edited by Baugi