Thats the primary reason I asked, I kept seeing the "Artist watercolour" line on some sites and "Series 7 watercolour" on others, so I thought to ask. Thanks for clearing that up. I checked out the websites for the other art supplies places in town, one did carry W&N but it did not look like they had Series 7 (http://www.artistsemporium.net/art-supplies/brushes.html?manufacturer=873), and the other place looks like it might (http://www.artistsupplies.com/store/index.php/cPath/83_10_596_597_669_682) but they look a bit on the expensive side ($30-$475. Not that I'd ever get or need a Size 10, but DAMN). While I AM willing to spend that much on a brush if I simply cannot get it anywhere else, getting the 3 brushes I wanted (1,0,000) would be upwards of $90, which is a tad steep.

I'll keep looking around, just sucks that it seems a lot of the online sites dont ship to Canada.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually JUST looking at that site (and came here to post to it). They do ship in Canada (being Canada based, I'd hope so!).

While the prices are MUCH better in terms of per-brush, the total lot would come to about $57, which is not bad all in all. The downside comes into play with Shipping. I'm not sure what method they ship with, but it would seem they charge more the further you are away from them, being right in the middle of Canada (Winnipeg), an order of 3 brushes would be $20 shipping, bringing it to a total of around $80. Curse you Amazon US for not shipping to Canada (these brushes at least).

Still, this site is more promising. If I order over $75, the shipping does drop to only $15!

Edit: On their site they list a couple of things for shipping, so I sent them an email asking if there are any other options. Let us see what they say.

Edited by jaryth000

Well that was unexpected! Opus Art Supply responded to my email, and was extremely helpful, but not in the way I had anticipated!

They actually directed me to another site (possibly a partner?) based in Toronto, Above Ground Art Supplies. Sure enough, being closer to Winnipeg, they had lower shipping prices to Manitoba. Only about $9. Oddly enough, looks about a 10% markup compared to Opus, on the brushes at least. The brush soap is cheaper.

I'm still going to check around and see what i can find locally first. In the end I might just go with Opus regardless, as they're site is quite well made and they where very helpful.

You may wish to consider other brands of Kolinsky sable in your search. Da Vinci Maestro Series 10 and 11 and Raphael 8404 and 8408 are some other lines that are considered to be of very good quality. Series 7 are probably the best known, though.

If you get a chance to compare them in a B&M store, that's the best way to judge how soft or stiff they are and how well they return to a point. If you get a bad brush locally, it is easier to return, but also check with online stores to see how they handle returns. For instance, in the U.S. I've heard Dick Blick will send out a replacement for a damaged or poorly made brush without first returning the bad brush. Luckily, I haven't had to test that policy.

Just as an update to this month old topic, since I very first posted this, I've gotten two separate shipments from Reaper (First L2PK 1&, then when I finished kit 1 I ordered Kits 3,4&5), as well after checking out several places in the city, I did end up going with the site Darsc suggested above.

Opus Art Supplies had wonderful customer service, a wide selection of products, Canada wide (but price dependent) shipping, and over all provided a good experience.

I am now the proud owner of three Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable brushes (and some new paint mediums/varnish and more brush soap).

Edit: Decided to add a picture:

newBrushes.JPG

Edited by jaryth000
  • Like 1

I love the Krylon spray primers. And the Duos are wonderful! (paint + primer in one can)

But be careful of what you pick up off the shelf. They have gloss and matte and semi gloss all sitting together (at least in every store I have found it) so if you aren't careful you'll end up with a gloss primer. It isn't a HUGE problem, but I personally do not like it at all. Yes, you can paint over it just fine, but it feels "slippery" to me and it messes up my brush control. So if things like that matter to you, read the bottom of the label carefully. I do love the ivory primer as a color though. Light enough to keep the colors pretty true but colored enough to really show the details.

Was just in Michaels today, I was only browsing with my mother, who is also a very artsy person. (browsing, I bought $60 dollars worth of stuff) They had quite a good selection of Golden brand paints, and a bunch of Liquitex spraypaints. Those caught my fancy, though I didn't actually buy any. I am now quite curious about them, and how well they would work for doing up minitures.

While you where wondering around, did you see any Testors products? Specifically Dullcote? I keep hearing tale that they care it, but still have no proof that the Canadian stores have it. I have them in the city, but none close to where I live. I plan to take a trip out, but haven't found the time yet.

Thanks Qwyk, I'll definitely have to check that out. Now that I have the Series 7 brushes, I think Dullcote is the only thing I'm missing from my original list of "Get these things because people said they are good"

Well that was unexpected! Opus Art Supply responded to my email, and was extremely helpful, but not in the way I had anticipated!

They actually directed me to another site (possibly a partner?) based in Toronto, Above Ground Art Supplies. Sure enough, being closer to Winnipeg, they had lower shipping prices to Manitoba. Only about $9. Oddly enough, looks about a 10% markup compared to Opus, on the brushes at least. The brush soap is cheaper.

Above Ground is awesome...they're essentially the campus store for students at OCAD, which is also beside the Art Gallery of Ontario, so well situated and staffed. Until I left Toronto I did all of my art shopping there.

Congrats on snagging the S7 brushes! Those are a wonderful investment, but I still can't bring myself to use them with acrylics...mainly because I get absent minded with cleaning or distracted by my kids and don't want to kill them.

Krylon Matte Finish should be easier to find than Dullcote, is significantly cheaper by volume, and I find it works just as well. The only difference is I find Krylon requires more shaking before/during use.

• Like 1

Everything people have said here about product selection is good info in my book, and I have nothing to add to the Canadian issue, being not Canadian, myself.

What I will say, for anyone looking for art supplies, is that you should always check whether your local art suppliers give discounts for local memberships...I have one local shop that offers 15% for students at the local universities (advertised right there at the register), but also (kept secret and non-public unless you ask) a whopping 25% for members of the local art museum! So if you have such institutions, and you or someone you know hold membership, it can be quite useful.