Michaels - Krylon selection

jaryth000

Indeed, even where in Winnipeg, while I did not end up getting the supplies here, the places I went had very nice people, that if the need arouse where willing to help me out if they could. The one person I talked to, even say he could try to order S7 brushes (since they did not carry them in store), and see if he could get me a discount off the retail prices. (In the end, even with that discount, it would have been more expensive than Opus).

I guess the other part of it works in the other direction as well. Helping to support local art shops and such.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus far I've done all my painting (yep all 4 mini's I've ever painted) with the brushes that came in the L2PKs. I struggle sooo hard on eyes, wondering how people manage to do them when the brush takes up the entire eye socket! After playing with the W&N brushes I now understand why.

brushes.jpg

Still haven't painted with them yet, but the points on those brushes are absolutely insane compared to the synthetics.

• Like 2

That's the biggest difference between synthetics and sable for me. Synthetics will tend to "hook" at the points, making detail work excruciating. I've only used my Reaper #0 round with my LTPK1 minis, which are both about half done, and its already brutally hooked.

Thus far I've done all my painting (yep all 4 mini's I've ever painted) with the brushes that came in the L2PKs. I struggle sooo hard on eyes, wondering how people manage to do them when the brush takes up the entire eye socket! After playing with the W&N brushes I now understand why.

brushes.jpg

Still haven't painted with them yet, but the points on those brushes are absolutely insane compared to the synthetics.

I can't wait for my Games and Gears brushes. My first set of brushes were a super cheap set from either a Walmart or a dollar store, so for me the Reaper brushes were a big improvement.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By slowbro
      Hey guys, I saw a couple of people online converting bird houses from Michael's into dice towers and after having great luck converting one of their cheap model ships into a spelljammer ship, I decided to give it a go. I took the bird house apart and stuck in all of the tower guts. Then I gave it a base paint job. I am thinking of painting some moss or vines onto the tower and also adding a crest of some sort on the front. I thought about adding a flag to the top, but I want to build this to withstand frequent transport as I play at a friend's house. I'd love to have some suggestions to spice it up. I want to use it as a display piece at home but then be able to take it to the table for play.

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      My wife started working on a castle birdhouse (from Michael's I believe) while I was working on my exchange diorama. She's been doing tole painting for a long time and really enjoys doing birdhouses, which is why there are a dozen or two around the house and property.
      After painting it she said she wanted to do some more to it, and asked about gargoyles.  I didn't have any that small, but after discussing, she built a drawbridge for it.  Then I remembered the Wild Elves starter for Mighty Armies that I'd picked up for her years ago.  It's 15mm.  So I dug that out, and this is what she ended up with, which she gave to me the other day when we were celebrating the 10th anniversary of our first date. 

I think she mostly just wanted to get a birdhouse into my study...

• By galladril
      Hello, everyone.

I recently finished a miniature I had been working on for a few days.

Proud of the paint job, and knowing it was going to be used for tabletop gaming, as is my standard, I applied 2 coats of spray-on Matte Krylon.

(Exact product: http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-Matte-Finish-Spray-Artists/dp/B000RMPT0C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1369944326&sr=8-9&keywords=dullcote)

Imagine my surprise when I noticed, "Hey, this thing is kinda shiny....."

Now, I have never before used glossy varnish, until a few months ago when I began to paint again, and read about the technique of bullet-coating, where you spray a layer of gloss (because it helps to protect the paint job,) and then do a final spray in matte, to dull-down the gloss.

When I tried that before, I could still see the "gloss" underneath, and decided "I'm not doing this again."

But....what do you do when you need to dull down the gloss produced by a matte spray? Is there anything I can do to reduce the shininess of the finished miniature, like, spray it again with a different product?

Has anyone else experienced this? Krylon varnish is fairly new to me, but if this is going to happen again, I'm not going to use this stuff anymore. I just want a spray that protects, but doesn't change the look of the finished miniature.

Thanks, in advance, all, and I am sure you will see some pics popping up from me soon. I have an entire set of Townsfolk I want to get done...just dealing with some camera issues.

Cheers!