B'thuhl, Bathalian Pirate WIP

First wash of red over my brown base.

8591029841_6911111358_z.jpg

8592127652_913b00a977_z.jpg

8591026129_2863a893e7_z.jpg

clean up and starting to add a brighter red wash.

8592125880_9383ba3dd0_z.jpg

8592125572_cd2e3bc15b_z.jpg

highlights, with this set you can make out the trench highlights better imo.

8591023467_b7603b70ae_z.jpg

8592126778_f9c0f5e1f2_z.jpg

and with these the face really stands out imo

8591022841_d7dd9135ce_z.jpg

..... I see a spot it need to rehighlight But :p

slightly fuzzy but shows some detail.

8591023187_7d796bca71_z.jpg

8592128300_c7b70d779c_z.jpg

8592124436_28853e404c_z.jpg

anyway there's some more cleanup I need to do at this point and his feet/pants need some attention and I was thinking about doing a gray glaze over the black for highlights.

thoughts/suggestions?

• Like 10

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up thinning the pure black down with some purple and used that to highlight the shoulder area and pants to a nice effect imo, now the base and sword are all that's left. the sword is true silver I believe while the belt buckle is polished silver. any thoughts on the sword / hilt?

Oh yes, I cleaned up the leather over splash on the canteen (I'm still wondering why he has one) and blacked in the top of the mug which looks 1000% better now.

just a rant: The one thing I HATE about thinned paint is I can sneeze and it will knock the paint off.

Edited by pocketcthulhu

I ended up thinning the pure black down with some purple and used that to highlight the shoulder area and pants to a nice effect imo, now the base and sword are all that's left.

Pics?!? ::D:

Any thoughts on the sword / hilt?

Might try breaking up the hilt as a whole a bit. Do the guard as a gold or bronze, with a dark red or leather for the wrappings by the hand, then back to silver for the pommel. Or, the pommel is nice and exposed, could always try a gem there as well.

If you happen to have any Army Painter Strong Tone, Vallejo Smoke, or Citadel Nuln Oil, those are all great for doing washes over metallic paints. Adds a little depth and colour without being too flashy. With Army Painter Strong Tone, it doesn't seem to stick all that great over metallics, so you can get a nice, subtle effect without worrying about flooding the area. Vallejo Smoke works well if you apply it and wick it right off (thanks to, I believe, MonkeySloth for that tip!).

• Like 1

I like it! For the face, you could up your highlights just a bit on the eye-ridges and tentacles- since you're using a blue and red/brown scheme, a hint of purple in your shadows on the face and a bit of green mixed in with your white/blue might look nice for a highlight. You might also consider mixing a bit of soft yellow into the highlights of you coat; just a subtle hint of color. You could potentially highlight your black with brown or blue. Great color scheme! Such a fun mini in terms of detail! Watching...

just a rant: The one thing I HATE about thinned paint is I can sneeze and it will knock the paint off.

I don't have that problem. Thinned paint seems to hold better for me.

I wonder whether you're thinning just a bit too much, so that there's not enough acrylic binder left to hold the pigment securely. I'd probably try to add some acrylic medium to the fluid you're using to thin your paint.

I don't have that problem. Thinned paint seems to hold better for me.

I wonder whether you're thinning just a bit too much, so that there's not enough acrylic binder left to hold the pigment securely. I'd probably try to add some acrylic medium to the fluid you're using to thin your paint.

very possibly... If I dont forget I will try that instead of water next time.