Sign in to follow this  
CAVBOSS

CAV: SO Battle Report (sort of)

This last Sunday I hosted a game at my shop on the board we will be using at ReaperCon this year. I thought I would put up a couple of pics and show the opening rounds of our battle as well. It was a Adon vs Rach using the following CAVS:

ADON

Chancellor
Challenger
Wyvern
Sultan
RACH
Dictator 70B
Weasel
Vanquisher A
Tiamat
First off the board:
GAME1.jpg
GAME2.jpg
Im playing the Rach, so I move in to engage the enemy!
GAME3.jpg
Unfortunately for my opponent I get far enough ahead to catch him crossing the rough terrain of the dry river bed. My Weasel CAV opens up with a salvo shot of 4 LBG 25s at extreme range at the Challenger. I roll a 12 (critical success) for the attack and get a bonus 1d6 to add to my combat roll. It was enough to blast him for 2 points of damage and cause a pilot check. He misses it and falls to the ground, forcing him to burn an action next turn to stand up.
GAME4.jpg
The rest of the Challengers Squad looks on with horror!
GAME5.jpg
Over the next 2 turns, I finish burning through the Challenger, getting hits on the Sultan and Wyvern at the same time, but lose my Vanquisher doing it. :-(
GAME6.jpg
I wont bore you with more, but hopefully we will see you at ReaperCon for some more heavy metal mayhem!
  • Like 1

Jon,

Where will CAV be playing at ReaperCon, the Factory or at Hilton? Also, not having the SO rules, is there anyway to plan for what CAVs to bring (all my task forces are based on CAV2).

Andy

I believe you left out that the tator run out of ammo........

How important was this to the game? And what can a CAV do when it is out of ammo?

Not a fan of CAV SO at all, but still trying to understand it. Any game that you run out of ammo is an immediate, huge mark against it in my book.

I believe you left out that the tator run out of ammo........

How important was this to the game? And what can a CAV do when it is out of ammo?

Not a fan of CAV SO at all, but still trying to understand it. Any game that you run out of ammo is an immediate, huge mark against it in my book.

-- In this case it was very important as we were just using a couple of squads to test numbers as opposed to a fully designed force group, but...

The purpose of ammo being used in the game has two purposes... the main being an attribute to help distinguish one weapon system from another (as opposed to just different RAVs) and to discourage players from making for the most part impossible shots (high chance of failure due to range) and slowing the game down.

So what I ended up doing was making ammo a SA of weapons that fired some sort of projectile and it reads as such:

"During a combat roll a weapon system with the Ammo SA that rolls a critical fumble has run out of ammo for the remainder of the game. A weapon with the Limited Ammo SA will run out of ammo if a 2 or 3 is rolled.

A model with additional internal or external ammo bins (see equipment) may ignore this result for each bin it is equipped with. A model may also spend a turn next to a model with the Resupply SA (special action) to reload its ammo stores."

A player may also use part of their Threat Value pool to purchase battlefield upgrades such as external ammo bins for a model or a Resupply Drop to "reload" a model during the game. As a result if I had planned ahead a little I could have avoided this problem. Something else that was suggested was to make this particular rule delayed till a set number of turns ( I rolled double 1s on the second turn of the game with my first shot) had expired in the game before becoming active to simulate the fact the models would have started the game with full stores. The opposite of this would be to leave as is to simulate the fact the model is part of a larger battle taking place and had already used some of its ammo or a jam/malfunction of the feed system.

Andy,

We will be at the factory right up front for everyone to see. Because every model is not yet statted out and people don't have access to the ones that are, we are using pre-built squads to give people a chance to play the game. Two of the squads being used are the ones mentioned above. The other two are a Terran vs Malvernis fight:

Malvernis
Revenant
Butcher
Wight
Spector B x2
Terrans
Ronin
Starhawk VI
Archer
Raptor
Thunderbird
If you want to bring your own minis please feel free to do so. We will be alternating back and forth the groups throughout the show and have minis for anyone to use.

Jon,

Where will CAV be playing at ReaperCon, the Factory or at Hilton? Also, not having the SO rules, is there anyway to plan for what CAVs to bring (all my task forces are based on CAV2).

Andy

No reapercon for me. too far to go / too much $$ to get there. I drive to both GenCon and Origins, both of which Reaper has been boycotting lately :(

Can anyone illustrate the differences between Cav2 & SO in one thousand words or less? I have downloaded the Cav2 rules. I have noticed that some folks don't seem too excited about this new release.

Thank you,

Kazimierz

-- Correct...no boxes to check. The only thing that is tracked in the game now is the damage with a d12 behind the model. Here is a link to see what a data card now looks like.

http://www.talon-games.com/CAVSO/DICTATORB.pdf

These fit six to a page.

so attached to an SA, with ways to mitigate. That isn't horrible, then. Worried about keeping track of check boxes........

-- I will leave that to one of the playtesters to do. :-)

Can anyone illustrate the differences between Cav2 & SO in one thousand words or less? I have downloaded the Cav2 rules. I have noticed that some folks don't seem too excited about this new release.

Thank you,

Kazimierz

I would say CAV: SO has a bit more detail and uses 2d6 as opposed to a d10. It makes the math a bit more predictable. Their is a bit more of a learning curve in regards to the SAs.

This a bit tricky. Yes there are some who do not like SO, but I, as a playtester, ask you to wait and give it a try, then make your own call.

SO uses 2d6 instead of a d10 and there are a few new SAs to remember, however I think they are bring more to the game than takng away. Anyways... wait to read the rules and play a few games. If your going to ReaperCon do the demo of SO. In the end, play whatever version you like and just use the minis. :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this