Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Gabrielle Lunardiente - Tale Of War 000505 - Witch

post-11942-0-88355500-1364489620_thumb.jpg This was a commission painting I did for a friend. He wanted a modern " hot " looking witch that was still in the fantasy theme. I had fun and really enjoyed painting this miniature. I hope the viewers like it.

Edited by catdancer
  • Like 9

the colours work great. Very fun.

Thank you for your comment. I am a new member and look for feedback from older established members & painters.

• Like 1

ah, Well, That I'm not. I'm fairly new both to the forums, and to a lesser extent, mini painting. However, there are a great many talented forumites who love sharing tips and their experience to help others improve.

• Like 1

Very nice

Thank you for your comment. I am a new member & painter and appreciate feedback, information and comments from more experienced painters and members.

• Like 1

Very nice

Thank you for your comment. I am a new member & painter and appreciate feedback, information and comments from more experienced painters and members.

Onl thing I would say is more pictures of the back and sides but other then that I like it

• Like 1

ah, Well, That I'm not. I'm fairly new both to the forums, and to a lesser extent, mini painting. However, there are a great many talented forumites who love sharing tips and their experience to help others improve.

I have seen the outstanding work of some of the members. I would love to receive feedback, information and comments from them. I just don't know how to go about making contact with them as friends or members. I consider myself (very lucky), I have tried to post (4) figures on the Show Off forum and the witch was the only successful posting that appeared. I did the others the same way and got no results...I also posted (3) painted figures to the Inspiration Gallery and none have appeared. So I don't really know what I am doing right or wrong. I am also a computer novice and do not understand 90% of what things mean when information and instructions come my way.

Very nice

Onl thing I would say is more pictures of the back and sides but other then that I like it

Thank you for the advice. So you suggest that when I photograph a miniature, show more than (1) view. As I said, I am new and have viewed others who post the multi-view and just as many who post only the solo view.

• Like 1

Very nice

Thank you for the advice. So you suggest that when I photograph a miniature, show more than (1) view. As I said, I am new and have viewed others who post the multi-view and just as many who post only the solo view.

That is a good idea so we can see it from different views but that would be your choice. I go for advise so i try to show off as much as I can.

• Like 1

A lot of us like to see a mini from different angles. Especially true for one as well based as this one. As for advise from the forumites. My best suggestion is, if you have a question, post it in the painting tips section

• Like 1

Nicely done. Keep up the work!

Thank you for your comment. I am a member & painter and appreciate feedback, information and advice from established members and painters.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif003.JPG This was a commission painting I did for a friend. He wanted a modern " hot " looking witch that was still in the fantasy theme. I had fun and really enjoyed painting this miniature. I hope the viewers like it.

That is a really cute mini. He definitely got what he asked for. Very nice job on the base, and the picture is great, very bright and clear.

• Like 1

A lot of us like to see a mini from different angles. Especially true for one as well based as this one. As for advise from the forumites. My best suggestion is, if you have a question, post it in the painting tips section

Thank you for the advice & information; I will try and post my questions in the section that you have directed me to (painting tips section).

attachicon.gif003.JPG This was a commission painting I did for a friend. He wanted a modern " hot " looking witch that was still in the fantasy theme. I had fun and really enjoyed painting this miniature. I hope the viewers like it.

That is a really cute mini. He definitely got what he asked for. Very nice job on the base, and the picture is great, very bright and clear.

Thank you for your comments. I am a new member & painter and appreciate comments, feedback and information from established members & painters.

• Like 1

A simple click of the like button works as an easy "thanks". :)

As to the miniature:

The composition is really good and you have provided what was asked for successfully, it gives me some ideas for a mini on my shelf of shame.

The first bit of painting advice is thin your paints more, not a lot more. At least keep your brush wet so that when you collect the paint you add a little water to it as well. Thinner paint goes on smoother and helps you get a better finished product. (I know the painting section of the Warlord: Savage North rules covers this well I assume Learn to Paint kit 1 or 2 does likewise.)

The next thing is the mini seems to lack highlights and shadows, so if these are present you need more contrast between the highlight and the shadow, but it looks like they are absent entirely. One of the advantages of highlighting is you can create different fabric looks by how you highlight. For example black cotton or wool will have wider highlights withe more grey (or likely blue, purple or green) before they come to the brightest highlight. Leather will then have a small highlight profile. Latex or polished leather will have the smallest grey area and have pure white highlights.

So based on what I see every colour needs highlighting, doing this will help separate the hair from the cloak as well, which brings up lining. When you have to different things next to each other with the same colour lining is an invaluable tool for separating them, it can be used wherever 2 things join as well. So to line the cloak hair join get some black wash and add an equal amount of water then paint that along the join. This, combined with the different highlighting & shadows for hair and cloth will make the 2 red areas clearly separate.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum..

• Like 1