Sign in to follow this  
barak

Okay to Mix and Match?

Sort of. There is a CORRECT way to measure "scale"

Is that an ISO definition? ^_^

Absent that, "correct" is determined by usage, and the usage isn't vaguely uniform. There's a reason that MWAN reviews used to have a very specific definition for figures, and it wasn't because most companies followed any one "correct" standard.

I use a lot of 1" (or whatever is closest) round bases, just because I like round bases. I also have a quite a few square bases from minis purchased. I mix and match. To date every Reaper miniature I've purchased will fit on one or both with no issues. You might have to finagle positioning a bit, but it's doable.

• Like 1

REmember that all humans are not the same height. I think that a mix of different companies mini's look better on the gaming table. I have many different lines of minis that I use for western games. I just see them like shorter people or taller people. Nothing really is outside of real life variations.

• Like 1

REmember that all humans are not the same height. I think that a mix of different companies mini's look better on the gaming table. I have many different lines of minis that I use for western games. I just see them like shorter people or taller people. Nothing really is outside of real life variations.

Excellent point! I have some Mithral Miniatures Mordor Orcs next to the Reaper Orc War Party next to the comparatively giant Chainmail Drazen's Horde Orc Druid. The Mordor Orcs are my pathetic newbie warriers, the War Party the veterans, and the orc druid makes a very imposing shaman directing them around.

In the '70s in the UK. '25mm' meant 25 mm = 6 feet, or 'sole to top of head'. But the only figures I have in that actual scale are Prince August Cast Your Own; they look ABSOLUTELY TINY compared to typical figures.

In the '80s the typical scale was more like 25 mm = 5 feet, many of my GW minis are in that scale and still useable, but a lot of ranges especially since about 2000 are more like 35 mm = 5 feet, in particular WOTC 'Large' creatures tend to be oversized, as are the new Paizo Pathfinder large monsters. One of the worst offenders was the WoTC metal 'Chainmail' minis, with hill giant sized gnolls. By contrast I can use my Reaper trolls alongside Citadel Miniatures trolls from the '80s and they are about the same size.

If a mini is a bit small, I find it can usually be made useable just by rebasing. Eg put a small brocoli-base mini direct on a plastic round base and you add about 5mm straight off.

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1

Hi,

I'm looking for miniatures for players and NPC's (humans, half-elves, elves, dwarves, halflings, the occasional half-orc). I play both D&D and Pathfinder, on either a 1" grid or a 1" hex. Reaper's Pathfinder miniatures will, obviously, suit my purpose. My question is, can I mix them with miniatures from the warlord set and the bones set?

I'm guessing their relative sizes will be correct, because they are all a 25mm scale. But will their bases fit together on the 1" grid/hex? Sorry if this has been asked before, I could not find an answer.

Cheers, Barak.

sadly scale is out the window with these minis, Their are things that should be one size but are Way too big or too small, My suggestion is just mount them on the appropriate sized base/tile.

since i started this post http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46266-basing-bones-for-pathfinder-and-having-issues I have switched to Mostly reaper mini's and scale wise and We really don't have issues with anything, hell I have been re-purposing dinosaur toys as huge critters, just need to have a decent eye and a willingness to glue plastic things to other plastic things, the Gw tiles have worked fine for the most part, just cut them 1x1 2x2 3x3 and so on.

Long story short No wrong way to play so just go have some fun.

Yes, for the most part you should have no trouble. Warlord minis are designed to work with 1" square bases. Most of the Bones should also be compatible - but depending on how picky you are about precise base size you may sometimes run into difficulty - any of the Bones made from Reaper's Dark Heaven Line are designed to be analogues for monster types, and often thusly do not match the officially specified dimensions of said monster - which can lead, occassionally, to base size occupancy issues.

Short version: any officially licensed miniature for a game should meet the dimensions of that game's creatures, any other types may not - so a Bones gnoll may be taller/wider than a Pathfinder gnoll (just an example, I don't know if they are).

We use a 1" hex, converting to a 1" square standard, but don't use any additional basing. All the minis work well for us - and any miniatures which do not match "official" game statistics we just modify the stats to suit the mini. We use minis from many different sources, including old 80's parthas, and aside from the odd human-to-human height difference we've had no problems.

the bones gnoll is FRAKING Huge comparatively, it's a large size mini when it should be a medium, but otherwise I have to agree just adapt and have fun.

First edition Gnolls (and Bugbears) were classed as large creatures. Their size was the same though, at 7+ feet. This wasn't a size category based on tabletop space though, it was more important for weapon damage which changed based on the size of your target. I loved hacking at Gnolls and Bugbears, because a bastard sword rolled 2d8 instead of 2d4 and a two handed sword rolled 3d6 instead of d10.

Generally, I like the vast size differences in minis. Two of them side by side may look off, but when you have a bunch on the tabletop they look more dynamic and real. The only time it gets weird is if a player picks a mini that is oversized when he has a shorter player, or vice versa. I usually encourage players to make adjustments after they pick a mini, it can present some fun role playing opportunities. We had a 5'2" tank with some serious insecurities who was always getting into barroom altercations for instance, and an old ral parha elf rogue who was always mistaken for a child, even after proving otherwise.

Looking around in the real world, it's easy to see that humans come in all shapes and sizes. I know a tatto artist who barely tops five feet and might weigh in at 120 lbs. soaking wet. I know another one who is seven feet if he's an inch and burly. It seems to add more realism to the fantasy miniature realm if you apply that logic to other creatures as well. If every gnoll, bugbear, goblin, elf, troll, etc. were all same size clones it would be pretty boring. I have minis from Partha, Dark Sword Masterworks, Rafm, and many, many Reaper minis (but still need more). The fact that they are not all cookie cutter replicas in scale just makes them stand out more in the shadowbox. Variety is the spice of life!

I play D&D supplimented with the use of minis. My crew uses the official WOTC D&D minis (25mm), Reaper minis (heroic 25mm), warmahordes minis (arguably 32mm), GW LOTR minis (25mm - heroic 25mm) and Dark Sword minis (28 - 32mm). Never once has anyone, aside from myself the avid mini painter/collector, said "you know, that elf is just the wrong size." In a good campaign you just don't care about those sort of things.

Looking around in the real world, it's easy to see that humans come in all shapes and sizes. I know a tatto artist who barely tops five feet and might weigh in at 120 lbs. soaking wet. I know another one who is seven feet if he's an inch and burly. It seems to add more realism to the fantasy miniature realm if you apply that logic to other creatures as well. If every gnoll, bugbear, goblin, elf, troll, etc. were all same size clones it would be pretty boring. I have minis from Partha, Dark Sword Masterworks, Rafm, and many, many Reaper minis (but still need more). The fact that they are not all cookie cutter replicas in scale just makes them stand out more in the shadowbox. Variety is the spice of life!

There is a caveat to this, though.

When I was first introduced to Citadel minis back in the early 90s, they bugged the crap out of me next to my Ral Partha and Grenadier minis, because of the differences in scale. It took me a while to realize that the problem wasn't the size of the figures themselves, but the proportions of their equipment. If you have a line of human Pikemen made up from different lines, it's not the size of the humans themselves that make it look wrong - it's the sizes and proportions of the pikes.

There is a caveat to this, though.

When I was first introduced to Citadel minis back in the early 90s, they bugged the crap out of me next to my Ral Partha and Grenadier minis, because of the differences in scale. It took me a while to realize that the problem wasn't the size of the figures themselves, but the proportions of their equipment. If you have a line of human Pikemen made up from different lines, it's not the size of the humans themselves that make it look wrong - it's the sizes and proportions of the pikes.

I agree proportions are what I really look for in a mini.

Many fantasy games over the years have said that 1" on the grid = 5' in the game world so it is logical that a creature that is 5' tall would have a mini standing strait up be 1" from bottom of it's feet to the top of the head.

I wish more miniature makers of fantasy games minis would forget trying to use MM labels and just think about the above logic for their game world.