Shadows in colour

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I linked to it from my ipad the original article was just as small as the one here. ::(:

I'd be intested in a précis, anyway. I don't know how most people do shadows. Mine tend to be either a deep shade of the underlying color or the color blended with a deep violet or my personal favorite shadow glaze, an equal blend of ultramarine blue and burnt sienna.

When I linked to it from my ipad the original article was just as small as the one here. ::(:

I'd be intested in a précis, anyway. I don't know how most people do shadows. Mine tend to be either a deep shade of the underlying color or the color blended with a deep violet or my personal favorite shadow glaze, an equal blend of ultramarine blue and burnt sienna.

Basically, the idea is that shadows aren't just grey, not just darker versions of the base color. The artist used to just use gray overlays to color her pictures (I could be wrong on the gender of the artist; I'm just assuming female for convenience). But shadows are rarely that simple. Outside, during the day, they tend to be more blue, due to effect of the sky. Inside, they tend to be more brown/red, due to the light sources and surroundings.

It did that for me on the computer too until I clicked on it. Have you tried selecting it?

It did that for me on the computer too until I clicked on it. Have you tried selecting it?

Yep. Just got a big blank grey screen. Bum.

The reason it appears small is that the article is literally an image; a PNG to be precise. Therefore browsers try to dynamically resize (smaller) to make it more "viewable".

Since it's an image, it actually should embed right in a post just fine - let's try that:

why_shadows_aren__t_gray_by_rianald-d5bi

• Like 1