Thinking about a "Spincaster Plans" Kickstarter

Crusoe the Painter

So would there be any interest in this? I've been wanting my own Spincaster for a while. But the cheapest professional ones are $2500+ (for a small jewelry one), and I've seen the kind of figs that Zombiesmith is capable of producing on their admittedly bare bones homebrew spincaster.

So looking on the net, I think it should be pretty easy to build a solid, affordable hobbyist spincaster for <$1500. And then I realized other people may be interested too.

So would anyone here be interested? The end result of the kickstarter would be a set of plans/instructions for building your own spincaster, suitable drawings for custom parts, including eMachinshop files ready to go, and extensive build documents, photos, and a howto guide.

I'm thinking $2000 basic funding level for the caster supporting 9" molds, with 'stretch' goals including such items as support for 12" molds, Variable Frequency Drive ( Variable spin speed support ), vulcanizing frame plans, even some video tutorials on casting and using it. I think the base 'buy-in' would be $20 for a DVD of the plans/documents. $5+ would get you mentioned as a contributor in the docs.

Other higher pledge amounts might include things as a set of the parts you can't buy off the shelf ready to go ( mostly the spindle and mold holder ), or comissioning and casting of a custom figure of your own design.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made small molds via this method, using a jewelers mold frame and vulcanizable mold rubber used for jewelery molds. Works great. Unless your figures have unusually deep cavities, this should work fine. And you can't cast too big of a figure in a 9" mold anyways. A 9" mold should be fine for 28mm figures, and multipart medium sized monsters.