• Forum Mascot

It's a balance. Overall I think pre-assembled for creatures like the First 29 (i.e. not gigantimungous dragons) makes sense given Bones philosophy, accessibility, and the simple fact that only a small fraction of purchased miniatures get much in the way of painting at all. So I have supported, and continue to support, Reaper's stance on that.

But, as a modeler, it's sometimes a real pain in the butt and personally I think I'd prefer unassembled. Democracy wins this argument, there are a lot more people out there looking for out-of-the-pack and ready than there are people like me inventing new cursewords for the Bugbear's shield.

• Like 4
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a Tamiya tank kit with 7 sprues plus etched brass and rubber track. It's not even a box of 30 Wargames Factory infantry with four parts each. The vast majority of Reaper minis are 1-3 parts (mostly one). I strongly doubt assembly will be onerous.

Modification of figures will also not be difficult, but it's easier to readjust an arm when you put it into the sculpted socket than to cut, pin, and glue.

Many of the figures I bought before deciding to get into the hobby were purchased at the game store we were playing at - out of the blister straight onto the table. No assembly required is critical for that kind of sale.

• Like 3

I'm glad the Griffon is not preassembled, those wings look like they would be in the way for painting.

Ya know, way back when, I never ever considered not putting together my models before painting them. Does it really make them that much easier to paint? I don't think I've done a large model in 15+ years.

It makes a huge difference. Having something unassembled can make the difference between a blob of paint in someone's arm crack, or some lovely details in there.

And yet, for some, the concept of "glue" is enough to stop them from purchasing a figure at all. Crazy, but true.

~v

It is for me. Until this topic I was under the impression that all of the Bones came assembled except the super huge ones. Now I've been correctly educated, but am not looking forward to it. Pre-Assembled is easy, much much harder to mess up.

I can totally understand WHY they will be coming assembled, and I really cannot hold it against Reaper (I mean, if the average Add-On was only like 5-6, on 18,000 orders thats over 100,000 assemblies!), but I'm not going to enjoy putting them together. I'm not one for conversions or modifications (or basing). Maybe once I've gotten further into the hobby in a year or two, and have some practice under my belt, but not here, not now.

Still, I'll grit my teeth and try to get it done without ruining too much.

• Like 1

Hobbyists can be myopic about how things are viewed by those not into the hobby.

Sure that metal / resin figure has triple the detail than the sub par prepainted mini, but detail isn't what matters to those who just want a mini to put on the gametable.

• Like 5

Don't worry too much! If the joins are anything like the Bones bugbear I tore apart, the separate pieces fit very well and should only need a drop of dollar store super glue. Completely unlike the downright SLOPPY connections I've seen on many minis from a lot of companies.

Edited by Frankthedm

And yet, for some, the concept of "glue" is enough to stop them from purchasing a figure at all. Crazy, but true.

~v

It is for me. Until this topic I was under the impression that all of the Bones came assembled except the super huge ones. Now I've been correctly educated, but am not looking forward to it. Pre-Assembled is easy, much much harder to mess up.

I can totally understand WHY they will be coming assembled, and I really cannot hold it against Reaper (I mean, if the average Add-On was only like 5-6, on 18,000 orders thats over 100,000 assemblies!), but I'm not going to enjoy putting them together. I'm not one for conversions or modifications (or basing). Maybe once I've gotten further into the hobby in a year or two, and have some practice under my belt, but not here, not now.

All the Vampire pack bones come preassembled except the Griffon, whose wings need to be put in. I don't know about the rest of them, but except for the huge and big minis I don't see why they all wouldn't be assembled.

Folks here are just talking about having them come unasembled in the future.

And I don't think there will be too much teeth gritting. It's not at all like gluing together metal minis ::):

Edited by redambrosia

~v

This is me - I really don't like doing assembly, no matter how easy. If I want to do a conversion (rare) that's my choice, but having to glue a bunch of minis together before I can use them in my games is always a pain. I'm disappointed that the Bones are not all coming pre-assembled, but I guess I'll cope.

Anyway, this explains how Reaper is able to do international shipping for $25 - I was thinking a pre-assembed Kaladrax would cost that on its own!

• Like 1