Yeah, I guess you have to weigh the benefits and whatnot of preassembly on them. For the big ones, especially the dragons, if they were to ship it preassembled I would want them to put some serious cushion in there. I don't care how durable it is, if it's not cushioned correctly they will find some way to destroy it en route.

And personally, I'd rather they come unassembled than in a giant box of stryofoam.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet, for some, the concept of "glue" is enough to stop them from purchasing a figure at all. Crazy, but true.

~v

It is for me. Until this topic I was under the impression that all of the Bones came assembled except the super huge ones. Now I've been correctly educated, but am not looking forward to it. Pre-Assembled is easy, much much harder to mess up.

I can totally understand WHY they will be coming assembled, and I really cannot hold it against Reaper (I mean, if the average Add-On was only like 5-6, on 18,000 orders thats over 100,000 assemblies!), but I'm not going to enjoy putting them together. I'm not one for conversions or modifications (or basing). Maybe once I've gotten further into the hobby in a year or two, and have some practice under my belt, but not here, not now.

Still, I'll grit my teeth and try to get it done without ruining too much.

This is exactly how I feel. I didn't realize there was going to be assembly required. I HATE gluing things, easy or no. I never think it looks right, even when it does...

• Like 1

Perhaps, once Reaper has them being cast in house, purchasing them unassembled might be an option from their online store, even if they preassemble everything that goes out to stores? I'm sure there would be some interest in Bones Boneyard pieces (especially things like wings, dragon heads, etc).

Or that might just be a giant logistics nightmare...

• Like 2

And yet, for some, the concept of "glue" is enough to stop them from purchasing a figure at all. Crazy, but true.

~v

It is for me. Until this topic I was under the impression that all of the Bones came assembled except the super huge ones. Now I've been correctly educated, but am not looking forward to it. Pre-Assembled is easy, much much harder to mess up.

I can totally understand WHY they will be coming assembled, and I really cannot hold it against Reaper (I mean, if the average Add-On was only like 5-6, on 18,000 orders thats over 100,000 assemblies!), but I'm not going to enjoy putting them together. I'm not one for conversions or modifications (or basing). Maybe once I've gotten further into the hobby in a year or two, and have some practice under my belt, but not here, not now.

This is me - I really don't like doing assembly, no matter how easy. If I want to do a conversion (rare) that's my choice, but having to glue a bunch of minis together before I can use them in my games is always a pain. I'm disappointed that the Bones are not all coming pre-assembled, but I guess I'll cope.

Anyway, this explains how Reaper is able to do international shipping for $25 - I was thinking a pre-assembed Kaladrax would cost that on its own!

But Reaperbryan said

"Everything in the Vamp Box except the Griffon is pre-assembled. Everything that was an Option/Add-On will be unassembled IF it requires assembly. Some of those are 1-part and will not require assembly, and I'm not sure whether that counts as "pre-assembled"."

So I estimate 95% will be preassembled, the rest has to be assembled. I am no friend of assembling too (I really hate eg. metal mini assembling), but I am sure that assembling a few bones minis is not a big thing. It will not last very long or require much skill, especially when you know that Bones material reacts incredible strong with superglue.

I mean Bones is much superior to the crappy resin or the plastic in Super Dungeon Explore (which was a pain to glue together)

Edited by Enpeze
  • Like 1

~v

This is me - I really don't like doing assembly, no matter how easy. If I want to do a conversion (rare) that's my choice, but having to glue a bunch of minis together before I can use them in my games is always a pain. I'm disappointed that the Bones are not all coming pre-assembled, but I guess I'll cope.

Anyway, this explains how Reaper is able to do international shipping for $25 - I was thinking a pre-assembed Kaladrax would cost that on its own!

But Reaperbryan said

"Everything in the Vamp Box except the Griffon is pre-assembled. Everything that was an Option/Add-On will be unassembled IF it requires assembly. Some of those are 1-part and will not require assembly, and I'm not sure whether that counts as "pre-assembled"."

So I estimate 95% will be preassembled, the rest has to be assembled. I am no friend of assembling too (I really hate eg. metal mini assembling), but I am sure that assembling a few bones minis is not a big thing. It will not last very long or require much skill, especially when you know that Bones material reacts incredible strong with superglue.

I mean Bones is much superior to the crappy resin or the plastic in Super Dungeon Explore (which was a pain to glue together)

I ordered Kaladrax, Deathsleet, and There Be Dragons, so I'm guessing all those will need assembly as well as the griffon. I also ordered every one of the giants (6 total), I'm guessing they'll need assembly too; also the Spider Centaurs. That's enough to be intimidating.

Just remember to buy a small bottle of finger nail polish remover when you buy the superflu. Any glued together fingers will come apart easily. However, the remover will also damage the Bones material, so only use on fingers! And if approximately 14 out of more than 250 pieces needing assembly is daunting, just remember, practices makes perfect... and they are relatively inexpensive practice.

Edited cause the stupid spell check on phone autotragically adds more numbers at the end of any number I type of :(I

Edited by Bonwirn

I ordered Kaladrax, Deathsleet, and There Be Dragons, so I'm guessing all those will need assembly as well as the griffon. I also ordered every one of the giants (6 total), I'm guessing they'll need assembly too; also the Spider Centaurs. That's enough to be intimidating.

Your over thinking this.

The miniatures are designed to be assembled quickly and easily with clear attachment points.

1 drop of superglue in the hole, maybe 2 on big things like dragon wings, count to 5, put the part in and count to 10. It should be pretty much done by then.

These are not like multipart kits you may have assembled as a kid, there is no need for drilling and pining like on metal models, and they are not delicate like resin.

These will be easy to assemble, even for an inexperienced modeller.

• Like 1

For the future, the vast majority of figures will not even have assembly as an option. Look at the current store catalog (or the racks at your LGS) and see how few figures are multi-part.

And it will be easy enough to find out which figures are multi-part by either looking at the package or looking on the website (if you want to avoid even a little bit of assembly).

In echo to the comments about easy assembly, I've already had a chance to play with some of the Bones from the KS. Agramon (one of the demons) was 5 pieces, IIRC. They were all very specifically "keyed" to fit in the attachment slots in pretty much one way and one way only, so it should be pretty difficult to assemble them "wrong".

There are two reasons for multipart models, and the core reason is of course production. However, the second reason that has only been lightly touched on in this thread, is packaging. This will be a major factor in whether models are packaged unassembled for retail later.

~v

~v

This is exactly how I feel. I didn't realize there was going to be assembly required. I HATE gluing things, easy or no. I never think it looks right, even when it does...

We were up front during the Kickstarter that the larger models would not be pre-assembled. We have done our best to make sure every models for which it is possible comes pre-assembled, but packaging, shipping, etc. are all relevant factors here. I realize that the comments were flowing fast and free, and not all backers went there to read or inquire, but I know that the topic of assembly or not came up there many times, as well as here many times. Of over 240 models, less than 50 of them require assembly, and of the entire Vampire kit, only one* does (Griffon).

*Although we did open a few Vampire Kits for internal purposes, and found a few that while put together had not been glued - but this was not consistent throughout. It is possible that the occasional model which other backers received glued was not glued at the factory. With over 6 million models, even if the error rate was .5% that's still 30,000 potential errors. Allow me to repeat - 99.5% accuracy is still 30,000 potential errors. Now you know why I'm not sleeping well at night any more!

Sorry Bryan, I did not mean it to come off as if I thought Reaper had lied or I was upset or anything, I just did not catch the comment about assembly before. Alas, twas my own fault.

And from what everyone has been saying here, it does not sound like it will be TOO bad.

The two main questions I have about assembly from you guys:

1: Strength. Lets say I superglue a wing/arm to a mini. These bones are pretty flexible, which I like! But what are the chances of the glue cracking or an arm/wing coming lose when bent?

2: Extra Strength. One of the things I had feared when assembly was mentioned, that no one has said here yet, was the Pinning thing, of putting a rod or wire into a joint to make sure it stays. With Bones being a lot lighter than pewter, I'm guessing this is not as much of an issue?