I was getting more of a tour through Willy Wonka's Factory kinda vibe from this discussion.

I mean, ReaperBryan does have the hat...

Oompa Loompa doopidy doo. Here's where the minis are made just for you

Oompa loompa Doopidy day. These are the Bones, now ready for play

• Like 4
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually these ones don't need changing:

Come with me and you'll be

In a world of pure imagination

Take a look and you'll see

Into your imagination

We'll begin with a spin

Traveling in the world of my creation

What we'll see will defy

Explanation

If you want to view paradise

Simply look around and view it

Anything you want to, do it

Want to change the world?

There's nothing

To it

There is no life I know

To compare with pure imagination

Living there you'll be free

If you truly

Wish to be

• Like 3

Just to throw my $0.02 in. I see unassembled bones as a viable strategy.

Sure, some people, want bones to be ready to go- out of the box, but in reality they aren't. If they really want that then they would be looking at the Legendary Encounters line, but almost all people I have heard vocally oppose Bones say it's their first time buying miniatures and the only reason they did was because they were ready for the tabletop immediately. Well, Reaper has had a PPM line for awhile now and there have been other PPM lines (I for one got into miniature gaming with D&D wargame) so what really got them to suddenly jump in? Probably the insane value of the Kickstarter. Now I don't mean to come off as dismissive or anything, because I will admit the kickstarter was my first Reaper purchase.

Like many others, I did know about reaper and metal miniatures, but I found the metal medium to be too intimidating a hobby to get into. With Bones I am much more comfortable, since I have experience with similar plastic miniatures. I had no experience painting miniatures though because all the miniatures I had bought were PPM (pre-painted miniatures) so that was the first obstacle to getting into the hobby. Anyone who has gotten the bones can tell you they don't look as good as the metal miniatures when you get them right out of the box, because the detail looks washed out. Well, giving the miniature a quick paint wash or something to get some definition in the recesses and the detail really POPS and looks literally as good as the metal versions.

Personally I see that as a much bigger obstacle to "ready to play" than coming un-assembled, sure you can use the bones right away without touching them with paint or giving them a quick shading wash to bring out the details, but really why not take the 5 minutes to increase the quality so much?

It's the same with coming un-assembled, well.. you can plop down a bugbear that is missing it's head and shield and start playing, heck it might even make a nice corpse, but if you take 5 minutes (literally takes 30 seconds) to dab a bit of glue in a hole and stick that head in there you are good to go. I would say that is much less of a reason to not buy a Bones than it not being painted for people who haven't ever purchased a miniature before. Maybe they are afraid of the craziness that is assembling metal miniatures with pinning and such or the trouble other 10 piece plastic miniatures may pose. Reaper has said Bones miniatures will be kept to the minimum number of pieces, so far they are all about 1-3 maybe a few more have a couple more pieces? (I can't think of any).

So what about the people that want the bugbear to be looking to the side? or the people who want to put a different head on the bugbear? or a different weapon? Instead of being able to just turn the head a bit before the glue it in or grab a weapon from another mini and use it. Instead of that simple process they have to cut their miniature into pieces and cut another into pieces and then glue it back together. Heck, that doesn't sound too bad at all though, certainly much easier than some of the metal conversions. So really, both sides win, but there's another side that loses.

Reaper. So they are bringing all the manufacturing to on-site in USA! That's great, but now they will be responsible for all the assembly as well. Labor is certainly going to be more expensive here than in China, but that has it's upsides as well because quality control will presumably be much better. That cost is going to have to be factored into prices though and it will lead to a slightly higher MSRP (certainly still a great price for a plastic miniature when compared to a metal that has no assembly) and it will lead to more time and energy for Reaper workers, I'm sure it will lead to the hiring of more employees, which is a positive, but it can become a bit of a mess logistically as well (Although Reaper has shown themselves to be masters of logistics, especially in regards to the Kickstarter craziness). So again, positives and negatives.

I just think that the positive of keeping things simpler for reaper and keeping customization of miniatures simpler for those miniature enthusiasts (which let's face it, people who just got into the hobby because of the kickstarter will likely become once they find out how easy and fun it is) outweighs the negative of making people have to glue a few pieces of plastic to each other. If it was a more complicated process then I would feel differently, but since very cheap super glue does the trick in literally seconds.

I just think it's a minor thing for someone to become outraged about and say they wouldn't have participated in the kickstarter which gave insane discounts on an awesome product. It just makes sense, how big would the boxes need to be for a fully assembled vampire package with Netyrmaul, Kaladrax, Cthulu, Deathsleet, Ebonwrath, Demons!, and Giants need to be? I say that because that's what I'm getting and if all were fully assembled and spaced I would imagine the box would be half my height at least.

• Like 1

It's hard to say. Gamer customers are weird people. An anecdote from last year detailed how a customer looking for a "fighter with a bow" refused to buy the recommended mini because the blister pack said "ranger" on it.

So if Reaper thought there was a good reason to take the extra step and have the Bones pre-assembled, I'm inclined to believe it's true.

Part of the apprehension of assembly has to do with previous experience (or no experience at all) with metal minis and plastic kits. Most kits are built for modellers, and as such, require a small degree of skill.

If, as I expect and others have reported, assembling Bone's minis is easy enough, then the longer the line exists, the lower the apprehension of assembly will be for many people.

Meaning that right now, it's probably best that most of the Bones come pre-assembled. But a year or two or five from now, that perception could very well change as people get used to working with them.

With the Bones material, if I was an FLGS, I would specifically have super-glue on hand, and offer an assembly service for customers buying the few unassembled Bones currently offered, just to show them how easy it is.

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 2

People have mentioned the convenience of having them not pre-assembled for those that want to make an adjustment, but that's not really true. With the way the current pieces are tabbed and keyed, you can't just glue the arms at a slightly different angle. Either way you are cutting the bones if you want to make any changes. It's just a question of how easy it is to get the the part you need to cut.

People have mentioned the convenience of having them not pre-assembled for those that want to make an adjustment, but that's not really true. With the way the current pieces are tabbed and keyed, you can't just glue the arms at a slightly different angle. Either way you are cutting the bones if you want to make any changes. It's just a question of how easy it is to get the the part you need to cut.

Yes and no.

If the tabbed and keyed area is easy to modify, like cutting off the tab part of the pin so that the arm rotates freely to any position, then it will be easier to make adjustments - vs cutting the full arm off, trimming the angle just perfectly, then glueing in place (and maybe pinning as well).

For a lot of the arms/weapons, couldn't you just heat treat them into a new position, since the Bones are pretty pliable?

Depends on what you want to do. Simply moving an arm in or out a bit, no problem - heat, position, cool. But if you want a radically different position, or swap bits (like weapons, arm, legs, etc.) then the heat method doesn't work.

It's hard to say. Gamer customers are weird people. An anecdote from last year detailed how a customer looking for a "fighter with a bow" refused to buy the recommended mini because the blister pack said "ranger" on it.

Hey, I don't see many miniatures wearing fullplate with a longbow in hand. And I mean fullplate, not hookerplate, not cut my arms off plate, not I forgot my helm plate, but fullplate.

• Like 2

And I'd agree, but the armor wasn't the issue in this particular story. The customer had already decided that the mini looked perfect for what they wanted, and THEN noticed the package said that the model was a "ranger" as part of the model name. They refused to buy it because the package said it was a ranger, and their character was a fighter.

I still find that story mind-bottling. :;):

~v

And I'd agree, but the armor wasn't the issue in this particular story. The customer had already decided that the mini looked perfect for what they wanted, and THEN noticed the package said that the model was a "ranger" as part of the model name. They refused to buy it because the package said it was a ranger, and their character was a fighter.

I still find that story mind-bottling. :;):

~v

Mind-bottling? Is that what illithids do when they want to save a snack for later?

• Like 1

OH MY GOODNESS! I totally forgot yesterday with everything else that the mold came in! In the next day or two we're getting a barrel of the plastic, but the cool part is that DURING REAPERCON at select times we will have the machine running as part of the tour!

Injection molding for less than a month and guests on site, Your Insurance company must looove you guys! :devil:

>OMG OMG OMG

:blush: Why am I imaging you screaming that with R-Con guests splattered with hot plastic?

Totally. Worth it.

• Like 1