• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be able to carefully straighten it, especially since it is just curved, as opposed to folded over. I warm the metal up with my hands, rubbing over the area I'm going to try to fix, then gradually and gently begin to work the bend out. You should be able to get it straight again without too much effort.

~v

• Like 2

Best thing I've found, because this is something I see a lot of (and often worse than that) is to take the miniature and brace the back of the sword with something flat and solid. Then take something sturdy and round, like a paintbrush handle, and start from the inside near the hilt. Keeping firm pressure on your backpiece, slowly roll the tool outwards towards the sword tip. You'll hear some cracking, that's okay. If you do this right the sword should be pretty much straight and only need a little tweaking to be perfect. This will keep you from having to bend it too much, as this will eventually cause the sword to completely detach.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 2

One sword in a sword-y shape! Thanks!

(I'm really glad I got my issues with the sounds and everything straigtened out)

<insert rimshot here>

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Along with flash, bent thin bits are part of a mini-painter's life. Nothing to be afraid of, but nothing to be overconfident about, either.

It's good to be flexible about such things.

On a side note - would heating the mini in boiling water first help? I'm getting used to boiling bones to straighten them (hint - using a seive or a spider to hold them in makes retrieval a snap if you're as clueless with chopsticks as I am), would the same technique help with the snapping issues?

Just found one of my already-painted miniatures in my living room with a bent sword. No idea how it happened, and unless it happens again I'm not going to start pointing fingers. Slowly bent it back into place.

Honestly, the cracking noises are scary.

• Like 1

Just found one of my already-painted miniatures in my living room with a bent sword. No idea how it happened, and unless it happens again I'm not going to start pointing fingers. Slowly bent it back into place.

Honestly, the cracking noises are scary.

Do you have a cat? :ph34r: