Sign in to follow this  
Duke of ABQ

Converting Space Wolves to Dwarf Fighter.

Hi guys. I recently got back into making mini's. My first one is making a Dwarf Fighter for my DnD RP Sessions. The problem I'm having is, I don't know where to start. I have a basic idea on what I want, but I just, can't push forward with it. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should approach this and where I can start? I'll even take suggestions on what to do. I'm just to frustrated to think. Any help or tips you guys give me is much appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. Here are a couple of photo's of what my mini looks like.

post-5662-0-42169600-1364955300_thumb.jpg

post-5662-0-69629700-1364955315_thumb.jpg

Pics have desk in focus, not mini. Can't really see anything. Perhaps take new ones?

Here's a better picture, if this'll help. Still tryin' to take pics with mini's.

post-5662-0-00870800-1365033458_thumb.jpg

post-5662-0-53901200-1365033469_thumb.jpg

Please understand, I've done only one real conversion (see the March Miniature Challenge thread) and I've never seen the back of this mini.. But I'd start with removing what looks too Sci-Fi. I'd probably cut the areas marked in red, file the area I've marked in orange.

post-8219-0-04316000-1365038762_thumb.jpg

Once I'd removed the parts that looked wrong and filed parts that needed it smooth, I'd break out the green stuff to try to build up any areas that needed it.

Maybe someone more experienced will post? And maybe you can post a pic of the back of the mini?

Good luck!

Please understand, I've done only one real conversion (see the March Miniature Challenge thread) and I've never seen the back of this mini.. But I'd start with removing what looks too Sci-Fi. I'd probably cut the areas marked in red, file the area I've marked in orange.

attachicon.gifconvert.jpg

Once I'd removed the parts that looked wrong and filed parts that needed it smooth, I'd break out the green stuff to try to build up any areas that needed it.

Maybe someone more experienced will post? And maybe you can post a pic of the back of the mini?

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up and info, here's a back side of it for everyone else.

post-5662-0-67364200-1365118600_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the ductwork/tubing really is the worst offender. The part I marked in orange and the similar bits. Without that, what you mostly have is some odd looking armor. The parts that looked awkward from the front and I marked in red look more natural from the back. I'd file off the tubing bits and then stop and look at it again, and see if you can live with it.

The tubing, and the ridged bits on the back above the left heel and just below the collar, in particular. The shoulderpad is very space-marine too, in that it looks too perfect to be fantasy armor... too machined looking, but with the right paint, you might be able to do something about that.

I took your guy's advice and trimmed the arm off completely. Took a dremel to it, now I'm filing down the gun, backside, grenades ant the pouches. Hope to have photo up soon.

Quite frankly you would have been better off just starting with and existing dwarf. Reaper has a lot of dwarves in their line as does GW for that matter. Plus you are starting with a space marine so he's going to be to tall.

Quite frankly you would have been better off just starting with and existing dwarf. Reaper has a lot of dwarves in their line as does GW for that matter. Plus you are starting with a space marine so he's going to be to tall.

Ya know. Your probably right, I just wanted to strip this and turn into something because I didn't find any dwarf with the facial hair that I wanted, and I'm not exactly well experienced with green stuff or milli put to make facial hair on a mini. But I do know that I have the option at my disposal.

Edited by Duke of ABQ

Hair and beards are probably the easiest thing to pull off with green stuff when you are just starting out. Just remember to keep your tools wet or damp so they don't stick to the green stuff.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Thrym
      Tor Skullcrusher,
      dwarven tattooed monk
      A Thrym Project  :: A Custom Miniature developed on Hero Forge and 3D printed by a friend.

Started working on character of mine who is a Dwarven Tattooed Monk.  As I mentioned, I created him using Hero Forge, downloaded the .STL, and had him printed elsewhere.

I enjoy using the interface on Hero Forge so far.  I have designed and purchased 3 STLs and 2 minis.

Once I received the print, I made a manual adjustment to his skull.  An ironic happenstance, given the character's name.

Tor, being a dwarf and confident in his skills against ogres was going toe-to-toe with a rather large ogre with a great club.  This is not something unusual so far.  The party had been exploring an ogre controlled encampment searching for an item and information for a tribe of centaurs nearby.  Unfortunately, Tor suffered a critical hit from the Ogre Champion's club and took a lot of damage when he was already near unconsciousness.  He effectively had his namesake applied to his own noggin.

So I removed a large segment of his skull by the patch to approximate the results of his disfigurement once the party ... eventually ... managed to raise him from the dead.  His demeanor and appearance was never pleasing to begin with and now it's even worse.

I painted on a primer coat first so I could see where I was removing plastic better.  The majority of the work was done with a rounded mini-file as well as a small gouge chisel.  I cleaned up the space with a small sanding twig.

For a color scheme, his pallid skin is Reaper's Fair Skin.  The coat is Army Painter's D&D Vampire Garments with Army Painter D&D Mouldy Wash.  I put the wash over his skin and his hand wraps as well.  The coat's trim is just the Vampire Garments again.

For the tans I used Reaper's Desert Sand, Desert Stone, Desert Tan, and Woodland Brown; or some combination thereof.  The eye patch, the lining of the coat and the belt are Army Painter's D&D Wraith Black as well as the tattoos on his right and left forearms and the side of his head.

His boots started out as Reaper's Coal Black but I need to reshake the bottle before going back to it.

Yes, I know the pics and the paint wash are a little dark, but the next set of pics will be better lit.  I am planning on layering his highlights up to brighter points. 

More work to come soon.

Stay Tuned and Safe.  Enjoy.
    • By spitfire23bc
      Avast, me mateys! Hoist the skull and crossbrains!

• By JGroeling
      Honestly didnt realize the size of this figure when I'd ordered her. Came in and I was like, oooh she's giantkin or some kind of goliath. 
      Mine also had a hole in the base, but since I was extending the metal plate out to fit on a plastic base anyone, no worries. 

• By aku-chan
      Presenting the Brewmistress, a Goblin Mage from Games Workshop, this diminutive herbalist can be found plying her trade along the winding road between Veilmouth and Silverton. For two coppers she'll let you take a swig of whatever she's brewing at the time, while her potions are always beneficial, it's probably best not to consider what's in it.

Despite getting a little lazy with the ingredients rack towards the end, I'm really pleased with how this one turned out.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Kangaroorex
      Well 2020 is over and even though the year wasn't so great I did get my dragon goal of 12 dragons completed (actually completed 15 !) So with the new year I'm looking to try it again.

The last year I did a bunch of dragons from all eras a d makes.  This year I think I will make the challenge a little more specific.  This year I'll try for 12 dragons from defunct companies: grenadier, Ral Partha, Thunderbolt Mountain, heritage, and others that are no longer producing today.  Whether i include minis from companies that died recently, im not sure (and I  know Ral Partha lives on as Iron Wind and Grenadier lives on as Merltion?  But I'm including them because its my challenge and the ones I have are the originals. 

That said the first piece I did was the Bridge of Sorrows.  It came out really well so I let my better half look through my old boxed sets and she chose the next one:  Clutch of Fear!

This is another mini that I have had sitting in its box waiting for decades to be completed and its time has come (besides if I really mess up they have started recasting the molds again so its not an utter disaster. Also, since i have this one in the original box, I thought i would do a WIP to show how it goes.

Here is what it look like when I opened the box...

All the parts are there, including the instructions (more on those in the future) and an "inspected by 3" as well as assembly instructions.

Hope you all enjoy the ride.  I'll try to be diligent with updates.
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)