Sign in to follow this  
Boussole

60083: Nakayama Hayato, Samurai

This has been painted for a while now, but I had to keep it under wraps until Christmas, and then I got lazy and didn't feel like taking pictures of it until the other weekend~ But here he finally is: Mini #3!

My father's a big Japanophile (as am I for that matter) so I painted this up for him for a Christmas gift. I've gotta say, all of the little details on his armor really drove me crazy! I've got no one but myself to blame, though, for the detailed kanji I insisted on painting on his arm guard~

C&C appreciated~

a332f435-44fd-4830-b9d6-11fe19999855_zps

002b_zps4b8784a9.jpg

59b83f4f-cea0-47c0-a8da-0897cc0a506d_zps

Edited by Boussole
  • Like 21

Oh jeez~ It was so long ago and my pictures are so tiny it's hard to tell. I want to say it's something like protection from war. I can only really make out the last kanji in my picture as clearly being 守.

This is awesome. I know just how hard samurai are to paint and your attention to detail on the armour is fantastic.

My 1 concern with the paint job, which is probably more photo based than reality, is the shadow on the face. There seems to be a tide mark under his eye and then I'm not sure what is going on with his cheek. I'm guessing its supposed to be a cut and blood, but there is no opponent around even as a body to cause that injury which makes it odd.

I feel bad having put so much criticism in when it's such an awesome job and better than anything I've done with samurai. Little things like the kanji on the prayer strips and the subtle highlighting of the armour bindings are what make it so good.

My 1 concern with the paint job, which is probably more photo based than reality, is the shadow on the face. There seems to be a tide mark under his eye and then I'm not sure what is going on with his cheek. I'm guessing its supposed to be a cut and blood, but there is no opponent around even as a body to cause that injury which makes it odd.

It's a trick of the light/the angle of the photograph~ That "cut" on his cheek is actually one of the helmet side flaps (I'm not sure of the technical name) that tie under the chin. His face is pretty tricky to photograph because of the way the light gets blocked from most angles~