Wash bones? I thought they were supposd to be 'open the package and go'? I guess I didn't really think that as I spent hours boiling them. But I didn't realize that a wash was required? I started butchering a fan favorite last night with one of my world famous "meh" paint jobs... I didn't wash it though. I guess I'll try to rub some paint off when I get home and see how that works out.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wash bones? I thought they were supposd to be 'open the package and go'? I guess I didn't really think that as I spent hours boiling them. But I didn't realize that a wash was required? I started butchering a fan favorite last night with one of my world famous "meh" paint jobs... I didn't wash it though. I guess I'll try to rub some paint off when I get home and see how that works out.

It seems to be hit and miss whether there's an issue or not, but it's not something you could tell until you started to paint it and the paint isn't sticking so better to err on the side of caution.

Based on all the stuffs I've read here, the paint sticks better if you give em a good scrub with soap and water. Otherwise the mold release can cause the paint to run off. The one bones mini I've painted (purple worm) I washed first and the paint stuck just fine. It also had no deformities. But then, it's a worm.

If the paint went on, chances are you didn't have a problem. Not every Bones needs washing, but as mentioned above there's no way to tell. You might do three ogres without a hitch, and then number four's armpit is full of paint-b-gone. So given that, my recommendation is always to give 'em a gentle scrub in dish soap and warm water to be sure.

Generally a soft toothbrush, dish liquid, and a warm rinse will do the trick. It won't take more than 20 seconds for a human-sized mini, maybe a minute for a big one or one with lots of nooks and crannies.

Couldn't you simply add some dishwashing soap to the boiling water? Wash and heat them at the same time.

Then rinse them in the ice water.

Good to know there might be errors, and how to fix bent bones. Thanks!

Based on my experience of cleaning oil products off plastic, no. Plastic has to be scrubbed at least a bit to get oil off it, simply dipping in boiling water wouldn't work well. It really only takes a moment to wash them, and you don't have to scrub much, not at all like scrubbing last night's lasagne pan :lol:

I'd test a couple of the Bones first. Dishwashing detergent is much more abrasive than regular dish soap, and will kill a non-stick finish, so I'd be cautious about how badly it may scour the surface of your Bones. And make sure they are contained else you may end up with a pile of melted goo at the bottom of your dishwasher if you let them go through a drying cycle and they hit the element.

Also, even if they are all clean, if they are going to sit for a long period of time before painting, you're going to probably want to clean them off to remove dust and any oil from handling, so I'd just hand wash a few at a time as needed.

• Like 1

I would not wash bones in the dishwasher. Or the laundry machine. Dishwashers heat water quite hot, so your bones would probably experience enough heat to deform (ever had your tupperware/rubbermaid/etc deform in the dishwasher? ya, like that). And the washing machine would be even worse with the spin cycle.

I'll be doing what Qwysilver said, washing them as I'm ready to paint them.

If you are going to try the dishwasher, goto the baby section of a department store and grab something like this:

Munchkin Dishwasher Basket

I use it all the time for cleaning my cake decorating tips.

The heat probably would not be too bad, particularly if you top shelf it, and skip the drying cycle. Most of the plastic warpage is because it's too close to the heating element during the dry cycle.

That being said, 170 degrees (coffee pot temperature) is hot enough to soften and reshape the Bones. A good dishwasher should get close to that temperature. Although some of the energy efficient ones will only go up to 120-140. Use some of the thinner ones, like skeletons as a test subject. If they survive, you know the thicker ones should as well.

And do not use regular dish detergent in the dishwasher to avoid the abrasives. I have been told that it makes a HUGE bubbly mess in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

And do not use regular dish detergent in the dishwasher to avoid the abrasives. I have been told that it makes a HUGE bubbly mess in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

I can testify to this. My little sister has done that more than once at my mom's house, and it was terrible.