chris_valera

My Reaper BONES kickstarter has arrived!

Also, the Rust Monster is very small. The one on the site seems much bigger. Certainly not the large monster the Monster Manual says he is. You can put him on a 40mm base, but he's a little small for it. Some of the facial detail does indeed seem washed out. A little disappointed.

--Chris

Large? Which edition are you referring to that has the Rust Monster as a large creature? Maybe a 3E advanced rust monster, but I think the average rust monster is size medium regardless of edition.

Halber

• Like 2

From what I gathered from a facebook post single vampire levels were supposed to ship a few days ago. I fall under that category but I haven't recieved a shipping notice yet.

resolved.

i should note that when we said Single Vampires - we meant that the entirety of the order was "vampire X1". We are mid-process on Vampire X1 PLUS other stuff.

Also, the Rust Monster is very small. The one on the site seems much bigger. Certainly not the large monster the Monster Manual says he is. You can put him on a 40mm base, but he's a little small for it. Some of the facial detail does indeed seem washed out. A little disappointed.

--Chris

Large? Which edition are you referring to that has the Rust Monster as a large creature? Maybe a 3E advanced rust monster, but I think the average rust monster is size medium regardless of edition.

Halber

100% correct.

should note that when we said Single Vampires - we meant that the entirety of the order was "vampire X1".

so it wasn't the unwed/widowed/or otherwise unattached Vampires who participated in the kickstarter whose order shipped first.

gotcha...

I was looking at the forum members who had received their orders much differently.

• Like 15

Just checked the SRD again. You're both right, he's medium

I might have had a wizard who thought it was funny to try and catch them and chase the fighter around with them.

Just checked the SRD again. You're both right, he's medium

I might have had a wizard who thought it was funny to try and catch them and chase the fighter around with them.

I have plans for my rust monsters oxidation beasts but I can't share them here; MiniCanuck is one of my players.

I was considering buying bulk Oxidation Beasts and running a Bug Hunt scenario...

that said, don't discount the hilarity of throwing a 30 HD rust monster against the party...

or even thirty 1 HD rust monster hatchlings. :devil:

Snitchy sends.

• Like 1

If all the figures from Bones will be available later, can I get the Fire It Up and green figures in regular white Bones plastic? Because as I examine these figures, the translucent plastic isn't much of a selling point. If I was a young child it would be cool, but it actually obscures the detail and makes it difficult to focus on the figure. It seems a shame to paint over the translucent red/green, can I get a regular figure version?

I don't get it... you want it in white but then say it's a shame to paint over it, when you aren't really happy with it anyway. If you aren't interested in using it why don't you just undercoat it white, rather than hope for a factory white, I don't seeeee the diff. It seems nit picky.

And the "selling point" as you put it is to be able to use it straight out of the packet, whether you intend to or not. You can paint it or leave it, it reaches both audiences. Games like Castle Ravenloft come with blue translucent miniatures for things like wraiths. They're probably also good for people who use pre-painted plastics.

• Like 2

Only scale problem I've had is that the women in my Reaper Townsfolk set tower over my old Citadel and Grenadier men-at-arms figures. The latter look like children in comparison. Size variation between male and male figures of different lines is generally not a problem, but all Reaper's female figures tend to be amazonian anyway, being little shorter than their male figures, and then when you use smaller-scale male figures from another line it becomes very noticeable. It can be ok for warrior-women figures like my newly painted Shaedra (who I'm playing today! woot!) :) to be taller than the men, but for non-heroic types like 'mother and children' or 'maid' it's not so good.

highres_222219262.jpeg

Edited by Simon

Only scale problem I've had is that the women in my Reaper Townsfolk set tower over my old Citadel and Grenadier men-at-arms figures. The latter look like children in comparison. Size variation between male and male figures of different lines is generally not a problem, but all Reaper's female figures tend to be amazonian anyway, being little shorter than their male figures, and then when you use smaller-scale male figures from another line it becomes very noticeable. It can be ok for warrior-women figures like my newly painted Shaedra (who I'm playing today! woot!) :) to be taller than the men, but for non-heroic types like 'mother and children' or 'maid' it's not so good.

Perhaps you could call them sturdy well-fed country lasses from tall stock (such as the Vikings or something) next to malnourished chronically ill-fed city dwellers. I believe there is some evidence that, for example, average Europeans were unusually short during at least the the 15th - early 20th centuries compared to earlier and later periods owing to a really crummy diet.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 6

I had sooo much fun painting my first bones with my family yesterday. I started painting the (new?) elf with the raised sword, plate and mail armor and peacock motif on his shield. I intended to use the figure for my son's dungeons & dragons character "Dwarfo the Elf". Normally, painting's very much a solitary activity for me. But with my whole family there, it was a new experience as I discovered interesting aspects about the figure I was painting. "Woe, check out his awesome shield! Woe, look at his expression, he wants to kick butt!" It even got into a little smack-talk "I don't know if this can be Dwarfo, bud, this guy's way too awesome for Dwarfo." Meanwhile my wife was painting Valkyrie. Her: "I don't know if I painted her like she can fight..." Me: "She doesn't have to fight, she just has to sing really good opera..." Her: "That's true!" My daughter's quote of the day: "Oops, I painted everything BUT the eye!" The only downside was my son got a little frustrated painting the woman dragonslayer (you know, the one with her foot on the decapitated dragon head). He actually did a great job on it, to my eye, but I guess it didn't come out exactly the way he wanted and he's a bit of a perfectionist that way.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I'm REALLY impressed with this product. I've painted LOADS of 1/72 soft plastic World War 2 figures, so I'm used to that medium, and that's kind of what I expected. But these paint up like metal figures, not like plastic ones. It's weird...when I first took them out of the bag and looked at them, I thought a lot of detail had gone away in the shift from metal to plastic. But once I started painting them detail I hadn't noticed before really popped. I painted both the girl with the two submachineguns and the elf I talked about earlier. There's another girl that I noticed with slight diappointment seemed to have lost her nose...oh yeah, the girl cowboy. But now I'm thinking maybe I just can't notice it on the white plastic.

Edited by SgtHulka
  • Like 7

Perhaps you could call them sturdy well-fed country lasses from tall stock (such as the Vikings or something) next to malnourished chronically ill-fed city dwellers. I believe there is some evidence that, for example, average Europeans were unusually short during at least the the 15th - early 20th centuries compared to earlier and later periods owing to a really crummy diet.

Hi - yeah, that'd work - I actually painted most of the Townsfolk blonde, so I can use them as Vikings!

Edit: Oh, and Shaedra kicked lots of orc butt with her greatsword, while healing her comrades & herself! ::D:

03203_G.jpg

I'll see if I can get my wife to upload a photo of my paint job, I have zero photo skills.

Edit: Here we go:

highres_222219262.jpeg

Edited by Simon