chris_valera

My Reaper BONES kickstarter has arrived!

Gotten my Bones. Addons all seem to be correct, looking good even. Good work there Reaper! :)

Two Vampire boxes to check through. Ehh... It's getting kind of late. I'll save 'em for later.

Thanks! Am I correct in assuming a Vampire box has everything up to and including row 180?

This is my process:

Chose parts with the same color

Darkest layer

Smaller dark layer

Smaller layer

Smaller light layer

Smaller lightest

Repeat until finished

gradients.jpg

You should at least paint 3 layers. Still, if you REALLY just want solid colors, be careful or it will look DIRTY.

Always use acrylics made for modeling (reaper, vallejo, citadel, etc.). Thin your paints so that you don't lose any detail. That way you will always be able to paint over it again. The smaller the brush is, the more patient you will have to be but the more control you'll have.

My best advice: be very very very very very patient. If something goes wrong, just correct it as many times as you need to.

1. Basecoat (prime),
  2. Dry,
  3. 2nd basecoat,
  4. Dry,
  5. Secondary colours,
  6. Dry,
  7. Detailed/minute colours,
  8. Dry,
  9. Finished.

OR

1. Basecoat

2. Wash

3. Recoat/Highlight

4. Done

:P

• Like 2

Or, you know, basecoat, base colours, wash, realize wash is all wrong, panicky blowing on mini/drying/adjusting with brush, reapply paint in messed up areas, forget miniature for 6 months, come back to it, wash your hands of the whole deal.

• Like 6

Gotten my Bones. Addons all seem to be correct, looking good even. Good work there Reaper! :)

Two Vampire boxes to check through. Ehh... It's getting kind of late. I'll save 'em for later.

Thanks! Am I correct in assuming a Vampire box has everything up to and including row 180?

Just checked the spreadsheet and yes - line 180 appears to be the last line of the Vampire box contents.

Just tried to paint a goblin archer with a paint brush the size of half his arm and various acrylic paints...

I didn't spend too long on it, about an hour. Nor was I anywhere near finishing it, I simply wanted to test the waters.

It's really, really difficult. I assume I'll get better with time and also when I have the correct equipment but my word, I did an absolutely terrible job.

Bones order arrived today. For the record I picked up:
So far really impressed with the progress Reaper is making with these! Great detail, and for Ebonwrath, the metal version costs $69.99, compared to $19.99, almost makes no sense in buying the metal version anymore.
My only concern is gluing the wings; while superglue has worked great for smaller pieces, the wings are much larger and more flexible. Has anyone done anything with these pieces yet, and can provide feedback? Superglue might work OK, but maybe epoxy would be better, seeing as it is slightly flexible when cured?
TIA,
Damon.

• Like 1

Reaper really did a great job with the joints on thes wings/hands/legs pieces for the large models - they fit in pretty tight. I've just used superglue. C'thulhu has fallen off the top shelf and survived.

Mind you, he is an elder god with mystical powers but I don't think that this came into play :;):

• Like 1

I've used Loctite superglue (the brush-on kind), and it's done fine so far for all of the Bones I've glued (which includes the giants, dragons, etc., but not the "Big 3"). I haven't performed any serious stress tests with it, but for generally handling (and one dropped dragon) it seems to work well.

However, I have started having problems with the dragons' legs not being able to hold the additional weight from the wings. I expect that I'll need to reinforce them via pinning (or basing), so be aware that you may experience something similar.