My Reaper BONES kickstarter has arrived!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a spreadsheet with pics of all the figures (and names and codes) that I posted in the "Conversations" thread yesterday, but here is a copy of thelink so you don't have to go digging if you want

Got the shipping notice yesterday, or the day before, just received it today!  

Jasper's friends come over to find him curled up sleeping on a huge pile of bones. He cracks an eye and says, "I smell your air, thief."

Well, I can tell you that they at least smell very similar. I haven't found the liquid green stuff to be all that useful.

Er, which smells similar to what? And how do they smell, actually? This could be useful.

Squadron Green Putty and GW Liquid Green Stuff, have very similar odors. I prefer the Squadron Green for modeling as its a bit stiffer and I find it easier to work with. Liquid Green Stuff just tends to run to much for my tastes. I didn't really look into it to much I thought they were the same just based on the smell.

Does the Squadron stuff need a special thinner? Can it be thinned with water? I'm sort of trying to work out what it might be in the absense of any web presence for the company or any way I can get my hands on a MSDS for their product.

For "liquid green stuff," please see

http://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-acrylic-mediums/

in particular "Molding Paste" (more pasty and sculptural) and "High Solid Gel" (more goopy and more flexible when dry). These may not be exactly identical to liquid green stuff (for one thing they are not colored green), but they do essentially the same thing as it with the highest quality ingredients for a significantly lower price.

At some point I hope to do a comparison test.

I am also planning to test if Golden's "Self Leveling Clear Gel" can be used for water effects.

Of course, I read Pingo's comments when I got home from the local game store where I'd just purchased some liquid green stuff. I was curious to try it out and had a coupon for the shop...

• Like 1

I, too, based the comparison on having worked with both products. GW's Liquid Green Stuff is poorly named, as it certainly can't be used for sculpting, and does a rather poor job even of gap filling. It tends to shrink when dry, and is very crumbly. The Squadron putty is great for small gap fills, but does have a bit stronger odour. When it comes down to it, you really can't beat actual green stuff/milliput for gap filling/sculpting. In my opinion, of course.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go to the gaming store this weekend for painting supplies, so I'll keep an eye out for those learn to paint kits. If I'm lucky, they'll actually have some of those. If not, I'm hoping some of the other videos and stuff will give me the absolute basics, so I at least know what to buy. Not being even remotely artistic, I don't even own paint brushes yet, or know how many/what kind to buy, let alone anything beyond that.

Went to two local gaming stores yesterday (the only ones I know about, though I'm new around here, so there may be more), and all they had were a bunch of Citadel paints and brushes at both. One of the posts I had read while trying to figure this stuff out had mentioned something about Citadel paint being bad, so I decided to skip it. So I came home and ordered a Reaper "Learn To Paint Kit" online instead. Unfortunately, that means I need to wait for it to arrive, when I had been hoping to get started this weekend while I had a little free time.

Try acrylics from the local craft store. Quality can vary, so the cheapest might not be the best. Ceramcoat (by Delta Paints) are the best quality acrylics I have found, and they are a national brand. (I rate them highly on their ability to cover in one coat, which is a problem with some brands. They are also available in a wide range of colors and have the correct texture for miniature painting.) Around here, Ceramcoat runs about $1.39 for a two ounce bottle - much larger capacity than the average game store paint. They are especially useful for white and black undercoat, where coverage is important. They also do well with reds and yellows, which often allow base coats to show through in lesser brands. Ceramcoat also has a wide range of metallic colors, which can be helpful.

Edited by FormCritic

I disagree. If you have any choice in the matter at all, skip the craft acrylics in favour of proper miniature paint. Craft paint is okay for scenery but is not an effective substitute.

I like it for painting bases sometimes, and it can work if mixed with a minis paint due to the minis paint flow improver. But it can be a really bad idea trying to use it straight onto a mini - I used a craft store flesh tone on a female mini and she developed a bad case of celulite! ::D:

I started out using craft acrylics and I wish I hadn't. I had them already, and I knew nothing about painting these little things, but after seeing how crappy they looked on the plastic ones I started buying P3 paints from my LGS, and have been slowly building my collection of good paints. This weekend I put all my craft paints in a box to put in the spare room so I'll have more room in my paint drawer for good paint.

Skip the craft paints. Buy good paint. It seems pricey, but if you use it right and treat it right, it will last a good long while.

• Like 1

I use Folk Art paints pretty exlusively save a few reapers that I have (a couple fleshes and a red), I have very little issue using them. I find people tend to be really divided about this. I mean, I'm not a professional painter or anything, but my results are generally quite good.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/Biokanan/Relic%20Knights/RelicKnights1.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/Biokanan/Relic%20Knights/IMG_1080.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/Biokanan/Relic%20Knights/CalicoKate1.jpg

IMO, it's a lot more skill and not as much paint quality that makes the difference. I see people buy piles of really good paints and brushes, but they have no brush control, don't understand how to get a good consitency when they need it, etc.

• Forum Mascot

Skill can help you compensate for the problems of craft paint, but craft paint is still going to hinder your skills. For the amount of effort you'll have to expend to correct for those deficiencies, the same effort could kick your skills to the next level.

It's like with brushes, it's the same thing. Yes, you can probably find me somebody who does good work with synthetic golden taklons. I believe it. Similarly, you could find me a person using Kolinskys whose work isn't as good. I'll grant that.

But person A is limiting themself by using cheaper, inferior materials. Person B just has to practice and learn. Both are better off with good materials.

• Like 4

I use craft paints exclusively, am new to the hobby, and have had wonderful results. That being said, I'm an illustrator by trade, so some of that probably carries over to miniature painting. However, I drafted a friend to the hobby just recently and he is not an artist by any stretch. He has been thrilled with his progress just using cheaper paints, and was visibly jonesing to paint more after his first foray.

I can't really justify the cost of more expensive paint since I already spend more than I should on models, and I'm doubtful of the impact on quality it might have... Heh, I also use synthetic brushes, since I don't want to gunk up my sables :p