chris_valera

My Reaper BONES kickstarter has arrived!

There's like NO detail on some of the fantasy guys bases. The big orc/half-ogre with sword and shield with spikes has like NO detail on his base.

There's better detail on stuff there a gandalf-like wizard witha scroll and a big floppy hat - his detail is much better, and in a way you couldn't get with plastic or metal miniatures

The staff on all the models are screwed. Hope you like replacing them all with 1/16th brass wire, cuz that's what you'll be doing on all of them

swords are elfed as well.

The staff on all the models are screwed. Hope you like replacing them all with 1/16th brass wire, cuz that's what you'll be doing on all of them

swords are @#!&ed as well.

How so?

How so?

Presumably they're bent, just like those of every plastic mini ever. Nothing hot water won't fix.

There's like NO detail on some of the fantasy guys bases. The big orc/half-ogre with sword and shield with spikes has like NO detail on his base.

There's better detail on stuff there a gandalf-like wizard witha scroll and a big floppy hat - his detail is much better, and in a way you couldn't get with plastic or metal miniatures

Reaper doesn't usually use decorative bases; they're generally broccolis. This is nothing new.

I'm not sure what that second line is supposed to mean. These are plastic, so how does the wizard have better detail than plastic minis?

Reaper doesn't usually use decorative bases; they're generally broccolis. This is nothing new.

I'm not sure what that second line is supposed to mean. These are plastic, so how does the wizard have better detail than plastic minis?

The figures I've seen have like textured rock bases, where I know it should be there, not broccoli. There's detail I klnow should be there, but isn't

These are plastic, but it's a soft plastic that doesn't hold detail well. Some of the faces are washed out. I'd accept it because it's better for horde monsters; giant spiders, zombies, rats and dungeon vermin that you need a ton of, and detail isn't a prime concern. But it's not so great for player character figures, or if you're a painter, and really want to go to town on your PCs.

I will say the detail on this like the Eye Tyrants mouth is just incredible, although the thinness on pieces like the is-zrmed snake woman's arms are like bubblegum, just very flexible -- TOO flexible.

BONES plastic has its ups and downs

--Chris

You can unbend the swords and such if you plunge minis that are bent into boiling water for 45 seconds, reposition, and then set in ice water.

I think many people have discovered that the details are much crisper than they appear once they paint them up: it's more an issue with the plastic looking soft than anything. Someone around here painted up the same mini in Bones and metal, and they were nearly identical aside from a bent staff.

I think many people have discovered that the details are much crisper than they appear once they paint them up: it's more an issue with the plastic looking soft than anything. Someone around here painted up the same mini in Bones and metal, and they were nearly identical aside from a bent staff.

That was Adrift.

I've also now done the same with the Bones ogre.

To address Chris directly on this, the "soft detail" was precisely one of my complaints when I did the Bones Ogre vs. metal Ogre. The truth is, it really doesn't make that much difference. It actually looks more drastic unpainted than it does painted up.

The flexibility seems like a detriment at first (again, a complaint I had about them) but also really isn't a big deal. In fact, with 58 of these things under my belt now, I've come to think it's an asset.

Repositioning bent stuff is also pretty easy. Boil up some water in a clean pot, let it get to a full boil, hold your Bones by some tongs and dunk it on in. On my successful test, I did it for 45 seconds. You probably don't need that long, I was just making sure. The key is to get heat to penetrate fully into the Bones. Then when it's ready, pull it out, reposition to the correct angle, and then dunk into a bowl of ice water. Hold it in there. Again, I did this for 45 seconds, but that's probably excessive. Now you're just making sure to get all the heat you put into it back out of it. If you do this right, it'll never move back.

Plus! This will, most times, actually make bent stuff like spears and swords spring to the original mold shape (i.e. straight) without any additional help from you. So it's pretty easy stuff.

We've been doing a lot of playing around with the First 29 pre-KS Bones the last few months on here. I've undergone a total conversion to them. I can't get enough of them. I've painted more Bones since January than all my metal miniatures in seven years.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 3

It's due to backscatter. Basically, the plastic is slightly translucent. Light penetrates a short way into the figure, and is then reflected back out, scattered slightly. This makes the surface look softer than it is.

• Like 12

Shadow, of course it's useful. Why, without science, I couldn't destroy you all! Mwahahahahahah! Er. That is, science provides everyday life with a number of useful conveniences and even life-saving features. Yes. "Saving."

• Like 1

The NOVA Corp and IMEF marines are very tall, like 1/3 to a full head taller than even a Space Marine. Is Reaper going to 32mm now? The girl with the heavygun thing she's holding upright is a full head taller than even a Space Marine

Like I said the shovel grim reaper guy is very small.

I'm regretting not getting any add-ons, they give enough that you get a taste of everything; rats, skeletons, zombies, scorpions, etc but not enough to run an encounter.

I wish I had added a few add-ons, but $100 was stretching it enough as it was.

I hope Reaper does another kickstarter, and give us another chance to get these figs as they expand their range. Now that people have had a chance to test-drive the Bones plastic, the should be eager to buy more, or buy stuff they missed out on. I know I'd welcome the chance to buy a horde of zombies, some dungeon vermin, and some of the big models I missed out on last time. Maybe some Giant Spiders as well.

Some of the figures arms and limbs still seem too bendy to me, like bendier than Mage Knight plastic

How so?

Just super bendy, although I haven't tried the hot water trick

Chris, all of the bones minis offered in the Kickstarter will be available at retail once they've finished shipping out all of the orders, and you can get their current Bones figures here. They'll generally be more expensive, but still fairly affordable. The skeletons are already available, and run three for five bucks. Same with the zombies. The rats are three-and-a-half for six.

And yeah, you should be able to fix the staffs and swords with some hot water. Little more of a pain than metal, but for the price, I'll take it.