My Reaper BONES kickstarter has arrived!

Kay, no one's saying you have to use miniature paint. People are just explaining why, in their experience, it's not as good as other options.

The people here who've used both craft and mini paint (or craft and artist's acrylics) pretty much universally hail the alternatives as better, easier to use.

Now, you're happy with your craft paints. That's fine. No one is calling you a bad person for painting with craft paints, or a bad painter. Heck, make some show-off threads. I'm sure your minis look lovely, and we'd love to see them. Recruit still uses some craft paints (though he's replacing his inventory with mini paints as he's able), and he gets great results. He says it's more work, though.

But have you used mini paints, or artist's acrylics? Buglips, Pingo, and the rest are highly credible in this argument because they've used both. They can directly compare their experiences. Maybe if you were using mini paints, you'd find yourself able to paint even faster and better than you do with craft paints. Maybe it would let you take it to the next level.

Now, if you've tried mini paints, and found no difference, that's a different story. In that case, you're speaking from experience. Though I have to wonder why you're getting such drastically different results from, well, pretty much everyone in the hobby I've talked to. Maybe you should talk about your technique. Maybe there's something the rest of us aren't getting.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a spreadsheet with pics of all the figures (and names and codes) that I posted in the "Conversations" thread yesterday, but here is a copy of thelink so you don't have to go digging if you want

Got the shipping notice yesterday, or the day before, just received it today!  

Jasper's friends come over to find him curled up sleeping on a huge pile of bones. He cracks an eye and says, "I smell your air, thief."

As someone who has finally making a switch over to full on miniatures/hobby paint, I can say I see a tremendous difference in spread, pigment density, easy of use, easy of mixing, and level of coverage. Not to mention, the feel of hobby paint is just nice. It's... smoother. Odd way to put it, but it's true.

I still use my craft paints, occasionally. They are reliable, and for simple things like a base coat, I use it just because there isn't much difference when I'm putting nearly from the pot colors down. But once I've moved onto shading and highlighting? Hobby paints, all the way. They spread with greater ease, they thin much better, and they are don't speckle as much.

I will say, many techniques can very easily be done with craft paints. The one that I find almost cannot be done without high end paint of some kind is glazing. I've tried and all it does is speckle and look like a mottled mess. Compare that to higher pigment counter hobby or artist paints and they leave a lovely color coated over it.

These are just my personal experiences, and I've only been painting for about 8 months now, but the move from craft to hobby paints has been extremely satisfying. Especially if you move passed Vallejo (who I just can't get a real feel for) and go right for MSPs, Army Painter, and if you like a little bit of gloss, P3. If you are perfectly happy with the results you get from craft paints, use them! They are cheap, easy, and you can get them almost anywhere! Plus, if you get nice ones, like Ceramcoat, they are head-and-shoulders above things like Apple Barrel!

For me, I had a ton of craft paint beforehand and used them extensively and I still use them for base coats, eyes, and basing. However, to me the main thing holding them back would be the fact that they don't have a dropper bottle system, so it makes mixing paints difficult and you end up wasting a lot. The other major thing about miniature paints is the metals. You just can't beat the metallics made for miniature painting. For my three layer process of painting, you can easily pull off the desired effects with craft paint. So in the end, I'm a fan of both!

Craft paint plus five or six metallics is definitely the way to go for a new person in the hobby...At least in my opinion!

Regardless, as long as you're happy with the end results, that's what matters. :)

Oh my, there are several pages (5+) more than there where the last time I checked this topic... it looks to have exploded all over the place. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been Split yet.

I've only ever used Reaper paints, and of that, only about 10 colors so far, so I'm going to do my best to stay out of this and come back once I have more experience.

This is not a cheap hobby. Minis are expensive, paints are expensive, brushes are expensive, basing materials are expensive. If a $3 pot of paint is a budget breaker, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your hobby budget, or perhaps (for the time being) find a hobby that has less recurring costs. It really depends on your goals. If you're just trying to get some color on your plastic/metal for gaming, then spray paint, house paint, sidewalk chalk, whatever you have at hand will be just fine.

If you are getting into this for painting and want to some day produce works of wonder, then see my first bit.

• Like 1

This is not a cheap hobby. Minis are expensive, paints are expensive, brushes are expensive, basing materials are expensive. If a $3 pot of paint is a budget breaker, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your hobby budget, or perhaps (for the time being) find a hobby that has less recurring costs. It really depends on your goals. If you're just trying to get some color on your plastic/metal for gaming, then spray paint, house paint, sidewalk chalk, whatever you have at hand will be just fine.

If you are getting into this for painting and want to some day produce works of wonder, then see my first bit.

I understand your comments to a point. Many of the people who are starting into this hobby are not adults, they are kids. It takes them more time, money and effort to get a good base to start from. I would never discourage someone from using craft paints or what they have on hand to start and then move into the more expensive products. It is up to the individual and they can make the decision as to where they move from there. Encouraging someone to move out of a hobby is not the best way to foster more enthusiasm for that hobby. I started in 1982 with enamel model paints and moved on from there. If some aspires to paint better they will do what is necessary to attain that goal. Sorry your post about the expense of the hobby came off as a bit smarmy. My two cents.

Snitchy sends.

Edited by snitchythedog

The difference between two of my nieces one is quiet and well mannered, the other is a hell-cat who doesn't talk, she yells.

Auntie?

j/k but you have perfectly described my sister and I. I'm the quiet one.

• Like 2

I understand your comments to a point. Many of the people who are starting into this hobby are not adults, they are kids. It takes them more time, money and effort to get a good base to start from. I would never discourage someone from using craft paints or what they have on hand to start and then move into the more expensive products. It is up to the individual and they can make the decision as to where they move from there. Encouraging someone to move out of a hobby is not the best way to foster more enthusiasm for that hobby. I started in 1982 with enamel model paints and moved on from there. If some aspires to paint better they will do what is necessary to attain that goal. Sorry your post about the expense of the hobby came off as a bit smarmy. My two cents.

Snitchy sends.

I'm all for bringing new blood into the hobby. I just don't know that actively encouraging people to cut corners financially is in their best interest. If you appreciate that you're going to have to spend money going into it, you can plan for it. If you start with cheap-o brushes and paint, you're going to be surprised when you try to make the move to the better stuff.

Also, I'm not sure where the impression that these new hobbyists have no money comes from. Kids drop $60+ on an 8 hour video game, and hundreds on an army to play GW or Warmachine or Infinity or whatever. Even if they're into the RPG with tabletop elements, you're still buying several reference books at $40+. I just can't see that many people who are sitting there thinking, "Man, I really want to paint these minis. But I can't spend $30 for a few paints and a decent brush." Most of the stores that stock minis only stock the mini paints anyways. So they'd have to actively seek out craft paints at a store that primarily sells yarn and beads. And who's going to do that?

• Like 2
  • Forum Mascot

To be clear, I don't much care if people use craft paints.

But I do very much care if they recommend them. That's different.

When somebody new comes along and doesn't know anything, what we tell them influences their hobby experience. And we should tell them the truth. And if people tell them to use craft paint, they might hear "well, this $1.50 craft paint is just as good".

And that's not true. Moreover, the only recommendation I can see craft paint having for it is price. I'll grant that. But that's not enough to make it good enough for a primo recommendation. For the first stop on the paint train. And if it's elitist to tell people not to skimp on vital materials, I can live with that.

Particularly as the people hosting this site sell miniature paint, not craft paint, and are exceedingly tolerant of our assorted shenanigans.

• Like 6

This is not a cheap hobby.

Oi, no it's not. If you want a cheap hobby try embroidery. Seriously, $10-15 will get you set in that for a good long time. (one of my other hobbies, the one I can take to work with me).

Granted, Bones have made it a good bit cheaper, but this is still Not a Cheap Hobby. This is still something that, should you wish to pursue, be aware that from now on your paychecks will be made of paint, white metal, bones, and paintbrushes. Depending on the strain and potency of your figmentia. I have it pretty bad.

My next paycheck is going to be made of Oathsworn Dwarves, despite my futile attempts at resistance, and paper terrain. /sigh

Particularly as the people hosting this site sell miniature paint, not craft paint, and are exceedingly tolerant of our assorted shenanigans.

And why shouldn't they be? They sell the best miniature paints on the market, they're probably confident enough.

• Like 1