Sign in to follow this  
Revil Fox

Thinking about Painting...

Allright, so things got in the way and It took me quite a bit longer to start doing this than I thought. Stupid things...

I primed the mini and started doing the flesh, then started doing the wash like the instructions told me to, but it seems like it came out much darker than in the picture. Is this because I didn't use enough water for the wash? Will drybrushing fix this, or do I need to do something else?

Others have discussed how to fix this, but in the future, a really easy way to test the consistency of a wash is to brush a little bit onto the pad of one of your fingers. It should fill the creases of your fingerprint and really darken them, and drop the color of the high points just a shade or two. If the whole thing becomes too dark, add more water. If it doesn't create enough change in the creases, it needs more paint. It'll do the same thing on your mini as on your finger, so if it increases contrast appropriately, it's perfect.

• Like 2

One thing that might not have been mentioned that I'd recommend is a magnifying glass with a heavy base. This is the one I got for $6 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RB38X8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of those.

I don't use the magnifier all that often, but I'm still rather glad to have it. The biggest advantages I've found is that it's useful for holding up minis with slot bases, like the Warlord and Chronoscope minis. If I need to move it around, I simply remove the arm and hold it by that, replacing it when I need to put it down. I also find it useful for holding bits together when gluing them.

Remember, Tamiya undercoats can melt or catch fire if acetone based paint is used over them.

Learn from my burn, kids. Learn from my burn.

No fires here, but I did get inflammation and a very sore thumb when I used Tamiya Acrylic Clear Red for some blood splatter effects and didn't wash it off my thumb straight away. I'm guessing it was some sort of chemical burn as my thumb was sore for several days and the skin was red and tender. Never had that happen with any other acrylic paint before, even when my hands have been covered in paint.

I also noticed that something funky happened when I tried to mix Tamiya Clear Red with a bit of PVA glue. It was almost like the paint curdled the PVA. Not sure what happened there either.

Olaf the Stout

Remember, Tamiya undercoats can melt or catch fire if acetone based paint is used over them.

Learn from my burn, kids. Learn from my burn.

No fires here, but I did get inflammation and a very sore thumb when I used Tamiya Acrylic Clear Red for some blood splatter effects and didn't wash it off my thumb straight away. I'm guessing it was some sort of chemical burn as my thumb was sore for several days and the skin was red and tender. Never had that happen with any other acrylic paint before, even when my hands have been covered in paint.

I also noticed that something funky happened when I tried to mix Tamiya Clear Red with a bit of PVA glue. It was almost like the paint curdled the PVA. Not sure what happened there either.

Olaf the Stout

The more I hear about Tamiya paint, the less I ever want to have anything to do with it.

• Like 3

Tamiya Clear Red is a very nice color that's just better at what it does than any other paint I've seen. If you treat it with respect, it's fine. (See also: Cadmium Red, Lead White, etc.)

• Like 1

Vallejo red ink is fairly translucent... mixed with some gloss or matte medium it should produce a similar result, I reckon.

I know at least three perfectly good transparent red pigments available in acrylic paints that will not burn my skin.

Why on earth would I seek out someone's proprietary secret recipe paint with who knows what what in it? Especially if it burns skin.

This is why I got into knowing my ingredients in the first place.

• Like 2

Mostly, its popular for dripping blood effects. Its consistency, translucency, and specific color work very well at scale. Miniatures painters being miniatures painters, that's important. ^_^

FWIW, that's the first I've heard of it causing a reaction.

• Like 1