Sign in to follow this  
zoroaster100

03286 Karl, Ranger

I got into miniature painting after I pledged to the Reaper Bones Kickstarter. I've painted several minis for myself since then. This is the third one I paint for a friend. He asked me to paint his elf rogue for a D&D game. He bought the miniature and left it up to me how to paint and base him. Since he is an elf I went with a woodsy theme. This is the second mini I try to create a custome base for.

post-8224-0-32867900-1365206235_thumb.jpg

post-8224-0-71414800-1365206254_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I am a similar boat to you when it comes to painting. It sounds like you are even further along than me, though, as I haven't tried custom basing yet. Because you asked for critique, I will try and offer some. To me, bases usually look better when they have a clearly defined edge to them, sometimes even a lip where the edge is black or something. It is not necessary, but I think it helps to make it look finished.

• Like 1

good start, Imo the hightlights on the inside of the cap are a bit too harsh or bright No... that's a gloss problem their also, the main thing to me is the gloss factor generally you want to use a matt sealer and avoid the oil like shine you have going on.

Edited by pocketcthulhu
  • Like 1

It may be the photo is dark. But I would have made the characters clothes ie shirt and trousers contrast the cape more. Also the brown armour could do with be a bit lighter to and then would give you darker shading to make everything stand out a bit more. I like the base. Good job. I think custom babes are always ice to see :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone. I forgot to spray the matte sealer on the mini before taking photos. I'll post more photos after I do this. As for the base, I agree the black bevelled edge around the base looks nicer. In this occasion I tried using a smaller 25 mm base that is just a round bit of grey plastic and it was too small to leave any part of the surface unused.