Sign in to follow this  
fanguad

Kryn the Red: Female Dwarf Mage

Kryn the Red, from the STonehaven Dwarves line. Here she is basecoated. I put down the red and green first, and was worried that she'd turn into Mrs. Claus, but the yellow really helps break it up. I'm planning on putting gold metallic on much of what is now yellow. I also plan to highlight the crap out of her clothes - taking the red and green all the way to white to really emphasize the bright colors.

post-8582-0-32023600-1365372385_thumb.jpg

post-8582-0-97537200-1365372387_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Bonus WIP shot: these soulless eyes were creeping me out, so I had to get her eyes done ASAP.

post-8582-0-53479100-1365372444.jpg

• Like 2

It's a nice start. You did a good job even in the blocking colors of making the red, yellow, and green work.

And yow, those eyes were creepy.

In ancient Greece when they painted their statues (and they painted them all, and the temples, too. It was only later people who decided to scrub the hell out of them back to white marble), they saved the eyes for last. Painting the eyes in was considered the symbolic waking up of the statue.

I did the shading on the green. Is it too subtle (ie, I need to go darker) or do you think it's okay the way it is?

I'm going to try to use "cool" shadows on her, now that I have read that nice article on why outdoor shadows are blue.

post-8582-0-18189600-1365815962.jpg post-8582-0-57202500-1365816051.jpg

• Like 1

Are you trying for green homespun wool or fine green silk?

For green wool, you might want to go a bit higher, but what you have would probably work if you're shading down significantly. For green silk, you would need to go nearly all the way to white and bring the shadows down to somewhere near the old Green Liner (something like Schwarzgrün, if you're a WWII historicals painter). FWIW, I'd probably pull the highlights up quite a bit for most cloths.

I haven't done the highlights yet, just the shadow. I will probably do smaller highlights - I have a feeling I'd screw up trying to make it look like silk.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this