Thrym

4th Edition Talisman Figures

Every Friday night the family ... Grandmother (my mother), my family (me: 44, the fiancee, and my two kids: 22/20 yo), and my Sister's family (her: 42 and possibly her two kids: 19/10) ... get together and play board games (or dice games/card games).

Last week after a two-night Talisman event where everyone was duking it out for the Crown at the end ... I decided to take the figures from the game home with me and set to work on them.

So first, I dipped into my bucket o' tiles and ensured all of the figures were stabilized. Each of the included bases were warped in some fashion. So super glue and a few minutes resulted in:

post-7739-0-21303500-1365481291_thumb.jpg

I left the original bases attached because these miniatures while nicely detailed are no where as sturdy as Bones and are smaller of scale. Hmm. I best get out Garrick of Scale for a comparison shot.

Once they were all settled on their new plastic plinths it was time to merge original and new bases. BRING FORTH THE SAND AND BALLAST AND GREEN PUTTY!

post-7739-0-56152300-1365481520_thumb.jpg

All of the bases received some sand to cut the distance betwixt base levels. The Ghoul who had a nice textured base received ballast to match the original base. Some will stick with sand, the Sage, and most will get at least some green putty to bring the bases more even.

For most of the figures I plan to give their bases the look of their starting places. The Troll and Dwarf will have some larger rocks sticking up for the Crags. Most will get painted with grass mainly. Some few will have "cobbles" or similar treatments for the village or city. Perhaps a keg and a stool for the Tavern. However, whatever their scenery, I must keep in mind that the figures will be in a board game box and not treated any differently then before.

Thus begins the journey to the Crown of Command. We'll see where it leads and which of these figures will fall to Death.

Speaking of which ... where's the Reaper? *looks about* Damn, he's sitting over at mom's on the game cabinet.

Yeah, we have the Reaper expansion.

Figures involved:

post-7739-0-69875000-1365484380_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-08509900-1365484390_thumb.jpg

And of course:

post-7739-0-45563600-1365484400.png

• Like 9

Wow. Talisman has figures now? Wow.

We still have our old Talisman set where the firgures are just cardboard rectangles you have to put in plastic stands. And the artwork is not nearly as nice as these either; it's all grotesque and English comc-booky, like something out of an old issue of 2000AD.

This looks like a fun project.

• Like 3

I painted my Talisman, Highland Expansion, and Grim Reaper Expansion last year. I didn't put near the effort in that you are though! Nice work on th bases.

I just blocked in colors then brushed on Army Painter Dip followed by a spray of Dulcote. They look decent for board game pieces and they are very damage resistant. I look forward to seeing your progress on these figures.

• Like 1

I just blocked in colors then brushed on Army Painter Dip followed by a spray of Dulcote. They look decent for board game pieces and they are very damage resistant. I look forward to seeing your progress on these figures.

Oh, I definitely plan to Dulcote them to hell and back. :blues: The "Random" spell has been known to cause spontaneous chucking of figures at other people or tossing of character cards or other handy items across the board. And let's not forget that the Grim Reaper can kill you outright. Very frustrating indeed.

Can you pop up a shot of yours?

Wow. Talisman has figures now? Wow.

We still have our old Talisman set where the firgures are just cardboard rectangles you have to put in plastic stands. And the artwork is not nearly as nice as these either; it's all grotesque and English comc-booky, like something out of an old issue of 2000AD.

This looks like a fun project.

Pingo,

Back in the day some company made metal versions of the characters. I am unable to research them at the moment. My buddy had the game and couple of the metal characters.

The family gets new games each Christmas to add to our collection (usually a Black Friday deal) so we got the 4th Edition a couple of years back.

At the price of board games these days, they should come with miniatures. Metal ones.

Alas, I will settle for plastic. :blink:

Edited by Thrym

I'll see if I can get a pic posted this evening once the tiny people who terrorize my house have gone to bed.

My tiny people hang with me till the wee hours these days. I look forward to seeing your Talisman crew.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 1

Is it bad that my Talisman figure are metal and came in blisters?

I'd love to see pictures next to Sir Garric as well, I've been avoiding buying the current Talisman (ok so I still have the original one), but minis....

After some diversions ... including but not limited to vacation, basement flooding, and overtime ... I managed to do some painting on the Troll character.

post-7739-0-80498800-1371730202.jpgpost-7739-0-88830900-1371730084.jpgpost-7739-0-75331900-1371730091.jpg

I originally painted him a bit more "Hulk" colored ... well, Ang Lee's version.

You can see a bit of it near his neck in the first picture.

Then to cover that I put in some mottled skin ... not happy.

So I went back over the skin with some drab green. Much better.

The goal is to be close to the picture of the troll for easy recognition but add embellishments or differences to make people compare their character card with the figure.

I will be adding some shading to his skin, because I think it's to "flat" at the moment and then tidying up.

On deck after Troll-boy here, the Priest.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 7

Basement flooding, blurgh ...

The troll looks great, much more lifelike than Ang Lee's Hulk. He reminds me a little of overcooked broccoli with an attitude.

The project is looking good.

great idea!! Did the plastic take priming and all that well? Any funny paint issues? (this makes me want to steal our DMs talisman set and have a paint party!)

Did the plastic take priming and all that well? Any funny paint issues?

I primed half, including Troll-boy, by painting white on it. I primed the other half with a white figure primer. The figure primer worked better I think. Better detail. I think lumpy the Troll here lost some detail around the face overall.

Once primed the painting proceed fine. I have mainly craft paints but he's turned out well so far.

Just need to clean up some problem spots, coat and move on.

Edited by Thrym

Basement flooding, blurgh ...

Yes, technically self-inflicted. We don't normally have issues, it's usually quite dry.

We installed a border for some planting near the back of the house. It prevented the water from flowing away from the house.

Removed border. Problem solved.

See the project photos here ... Thrym's Landscape WIP.

Well, my sister has taken over as Talisman painter.  So here's a listing of what are done or mostly done as of now:

post-7739-0-13041900-1407824683.jpg

post-7739-0-03998800-1407824697.jpg

post-7739-0-09292700-1407824712.jpg

post-7739-0-39591100-1407824732.jpg

post-7739-0-24349300-1407824753.jpg

post-7739-0-09815700-1407824772.jpg

post-7739-0-63975800-1407824788_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-71228800-1407824806_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-56878400-1407824839_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-12976600-1407824861_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-63940000-1407824878.jpg

post-7739-0-87738600-1407824904_thumb.jpg