Obsidian Crane's April 2013 Painting

ObsidianCrane

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems on the paint specifics. :)

Finished another of the old Dark Sun models today, the Half-Giant. In looking at the sculpt it seems badly proportioned but that is how they were originally described so it looks as intended.

I removed the broccoli in this case and put him on a 25mm round base so he matches with other DnD PC minis and fits nicely in a 1" square for gaming purposes. Funny thing is he is about the same size as a certain 'roid abusing barbarian found in the L2PKs. :)

Hardest thing in painting him was browns. Lots of browns and making them look different, but I think I managed to do it ok.

post-7660-0-98779600-1366609774_thumb.jpg

Edited by ObsidianCrane
  • Like 11

Also managed to get Sadira finished from the Dark Sun minis. So a productive day for mini painting, but I still have my work cut out for me to hit 20 by month end!

I noticed some strangeness in the photo, so tomorrow I need to double check or just take a new pair of photos. We'll see.

post-7660-0-21604600-1366640067_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Finally finished a Vaguard Samaritan for Sedition Wars. This sets out my colour scheme though I'll probably do units of 10 with different patches of colour instead of the red used here, or maybe not.

Nice and simple scheme; paint Ghost White, wash with very thin Rainy Grey, drybrush Ghost White add Pure White highlights. Paint details with Pure Black, Blood Red and Lava Orange and highlight those appropriately.

post-7660-0-30585000-1366726333_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

White is hard, but it is not as hard when aiming for a tabletop standard as it is when trying for competition. These guys are just base coated in Ghost White, washed with Rainy Grey, drybrushed with Ghost White and then highlighted with Pure White. The drybrush is pretty heavy and the Pure White highlights are far wider than normal and applied in 2-3 layers of different sizes (smaller area each time). As a result these guys are pretty fast to paint, the only slow down is getting the red and black details done but they are pretty simple.

Well this has been my least productive month this year with a mere 14 models, though I suspect I'll be starting next month tomorrow so I might make up some ground again.

01501: ReaperCon 2004 Reclining Sophie is my last April mini and though she is strictly speaking finished I might go back and touch up her eyes as I'm really not happy with them in this photo. I'll work on taking better photos on the weekend. :)

post-7660-0-71109000-1367331581_thumb.jpg

• Like 4