Wren

Bones: Preparation (Glues, Putties, Mould Lines, Etc.)

\The old tube I was using was nearly 5 years old.

That must be a world record for superglue. :D

I've been learning the ins and outs of Plastruct Plastic Weld; it's great for styrene kits. Has anyone tried it with Bones minis? I realize they're inexpensive, but I'd hate to dissolve one irreparably. Styrene can vary immensely; I had a "superdeform" Gundam kit which Testor's liquid glue dissolved very readily.

The rats, goblins and kobolds came on plastic sprues that are wonderful for testing things out on, since they're not part of any mini. If you've already got the Plastic Weld stuff, go ahead and glue two bits of sprue together (outside, in case there's any funky fumes that happen) and see what happens.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I wouldn't use a plastic solvent like Plastic Weld on PVC figures. They're designed for polystyrenes and from reports either don't dissolve the PVC or don't act to stick pieces together in the same way they would stick styrenes together.

I didn't test styrene glue for the reasons Doug mentioned - Bones aren't styrene, so I didn't figure it would do anything on Bones. I will try to remember to test some time to confirm that, and to add the results to the document.

Ok, maybe it´s a strange question but I have problems with concept so I´ll ask anyway :D

I come from warhammer background and we have the plastic glue (cement glue?) and the other, the one used with resin and metal. This second one is the cyanocrilate, the appropiate to use with bones?

Yep! That's superglue.

The other is the solvent one, it melts styrene plastics, which is why it gives them such a good bond (they weld together) but won't work on Bones. In the broader hobby world it is often called polystyrene cement.

• Like 2

I didn't suppose that Testor's liquid glue would work as it's styrene only, but Plastruct's "Plastic Weld" is designed for "ABS, Styrene, Butyrate and Acrylic." I was afraid it'd be too aggressive, but I tried it out on the Minotaur's tail as it had come loose and it worked, but didn't dissolve the plastic, as I feared.

Does anyone know if Liquid Green Stuff needs to be primed before painting on it?

I don't normally prime my Bones but I need to fill a gap on Ebonwrath's wings.

I do not recollect if I've used this on something without priming. I suspect that it would be fine. You might also try posting the question as a separate thread in the Craft section, since people also use that product on non-Bones so you'll have a bigger pool of potential answerers.

i wanted to mention that i have had much much better luck removing flashing and mould lines with a medical grade scalpel than i ever had with hobby blades.

i have used a blade size 20 (smallish rounded end) and am going to track down a blade size 15 and give it a go. it's an even smaller rounded in blade that i hope will get into every nook and cranny.

the sharpness and verity of style available in medical blades is amazing. and it feels like even my disposable blade will have a nice life span to it cutting such a soft material.

Edited by Tyler T

Another vote for using a scalpel. They are much sharper and more presise than the exacto blades. Plus, with the smaller profile (which you can get rounded), it is easy to get into those smaller nooks.

Where can I get sanding needles? Michaels or JoAnne's? Is there an OLGS that sells them (hopefully with W&N brushes)...?

I'm pretty sure I can't find a scalpel at either of those places, but I'll look. :)

Where can I get sanding needles? Michaels or JoAnne's? Is there an OLGS that sells them (hopefully with W&N brushes)...?

I'm pretty sure I can't find a scalpel at either of those places, but I'll look. :)

Got my sanding needles at Hobby Lobby.

For online sources, a google search on sanding needles turned up many possibilities. Likewise scalpels and scalpel blades (including Amazon).

I have seen them on sale at Hobby Lobby. My local HobbyTown also carries them (albeit a different brand, and I think HobbyTown stock can vary regionally.)

I've been meaning to check if a local medical supply place has scalpels, though I'm not really expecting it as I don't think those are commonly used in home health care.

The local medical supplies here sell disposable scalpels that are excellent for Bonesium. You can also buy them in quantity from Amazon. I picked up my sanding needles at Hobby Lobby. They are on the isle with all the Testors stuff. I haven't seen them at Michael's, but our store is awful unless you're into beading, flower arranging, or scrapbooking.