Just finished reading the unofficial FAQ, and now this. Kor Almighty, I wish I had read all this a few years back when I started with miniatures. This would have saved me piles of (now cartoonish looking) minis. Sigh... :wacko:

Thanks for all your hard work. Amazing examples.

• Like 2

Save those island of misfit miniatures.  When you get frustrated, you will have them to look back on and realize how far you have come.

• Like 3

So what I'm getting out of all this is that the msp HD paints are going to be my primers when i get started with bones?

• Like 1

In all seriousness, I had trouble with 2 regular Reaper colours adhering to BOnes. Maybe I didn't prep properly? But Brown Liner seems pretty much idiot proof. I've tested it on the biggest idiot I know ;)

• Like 4

If I remember back when the liners first came out, they were explained as being like the other MSP paints but with a crazy pigment density. So maybe it's the same kinds of forces at work?

Probably the thing about them is they don't have anything to make them opaque, they're just the acrylic itself plus pigment. I GUESS that being almost pure acrylic emulsion - which is a bit like a PVA glue in some respects, its job is to stick - means they "grab" better.

• Like 2

Primed several Bones with Badger's Stynylrez primer from an airbrush and it works great. Dries within minutes and maintains detail.

Edited by DethStruck

I've decided to do my own test.

Since I haven't even started my Bones I minis and I'm lazy, brush-on is right out. I have a cheapy Testors airbrush, but have only tried it (poorly) once, so that's not an option either.

So, spray primers it is.

Caveat: I'm not vouching for the 'freshness' of these cans, many are old. As in years old.

All coats sprayed on Bones zombies (and one mummy - I ran out of zombies) on 1/23 @ 4:00 PST. 70 degrees, don't have a humidity 'figure', but it's normal.

At 4:30 p.m.:

Krylon Satin Polyurethane - pretty tacky

Krylon Grey Primer - a little tacky

Walmart Grey Primer - pretty tacky

Armory Grey Primer - dry

Army Painter Uniform Grey Primer - slightly tacky

Testors Dull Cote - slightly tacky

5:30 changes:

Krylon Satin Polyurethane - fairly tacky

Krylon Grey Primer - slightly tacky

Walmart Grey Primer - fairly tacky

Army Painter Uniform Grey Primer - barely tacky

Testors Dull Cote - barely tacky

Updates to follow.

*edit*

At 6:45:

Army Painter Uniform Grey Primer - feels pretty dry to me

Testors Dull Cote - ever so slightly tacky

- I would try painting on both if I were set up for it.

*Note: I had primed 2 other Bones with Walmart primer ages ago, but didn't keep track. At some point they fully dried, I just don't know if it was hours/days/weeks or months (part of the reason for the new test, since the Walmart primer is by far the cheapest and my old 'go-to').

However, thus far, Armory, at $5/can (for me) is the clear winner. Walmart primer at $1/can takes an unknown length of time to dry and Army Painter (for me) at $15/can and not fully dry in 3 hours isn't even a contender. Shame, since they have so many primer colors, but I'm starting to think I'd rather brush on my base coats anyway...

Edited by Baphomet69
  • Like 2

Final update:

It is now 4:00 p.m. PST on 1/27. I did not check them on 1/25 or 1/26. Granted, we don't really have 'that winter thing' here. It's stayed between 50's at night to 70's during the day, though it did rain pretty good yesterday afternoon - last night (the minis have stayed outside, but not actually in the rain).

Near as I can tell, they are all now dry. The Walmart special may be ever, ever so slightly tacky - so slight that I can't be sure. I would certainly paint on it as is.

I had thought to paint a base coat on all of them as part two of this experiment, but meh. That might tell me something, but I doubt you'd all get much out of it. Besides, I'm in the middle of a crap work week now and don't wanna. :/ ;p

My findings; if you're not in a hurry and money is tight, Walmart primer ($1 for me) does indeed work. If you'd rather not let a mini sit 3-4 days between priming and painting, I would suggest Armory primer ($6 for me). A good compromise. It was the fastest drying of the ones I tested and is much closer in price to the Walmart than Army Painter ($15 for me, and it dried satin instead of flat as well).

• Like 1

Probably the thing about them is they don't have anything to make them opaque, they're just the acrylic itself plus pigment. I GUESS that being almost pure acrylic emulsion - which is a bit like a PVA glue in some respects, its job is to stick - means they "grab" better.

That is unlikely to be it. I paint with professional artists paints -- pure, high-load pigments in pure acrylic emulsion -- and they do not act like liners.

I reckon Reaper's liners have a special proprietary formula to help reduce surface tension and make them adhere.

• Like 2

Just in case someone's only reading the later comments and not the original stuff, and to reiterate it because it was the initial widely disseminated solution - Testor's Dullcote spray will give you a quick ready surface to paint on Bones, but it is the worst thing I've tested for durability of the paint job. I had much more chipping, and chipping that lead to flaking, with the figure 'primed' with Dullcote than with any other substance I tested. If you're painting Bones to play with, I do not recommend using it as a primer.

• Like 5

I didn't go back and re-read the whole thread, but I have recently started using Vallejo USN Light Ghost Grey Surface Primer on Bones. I have found it works very well.