Mixed Bone & Metal Models?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done weapon swaps on normal human-sized minis and it works fine...doing something like the kraken, I don't know. If the kraken's body is Bonesium and the base and tentacles metal, that could work. The base would have to be heavy enough to counter the tentacles.

I've done weapon swaps on normal human-sized minis and it works fine...doing something like the kraken, I don't know. If the kraken's body is Bonesium and the base and tentacles metal, that could work. The base would have to be heavy enough to counter the tentacles.

Hmmm, I think that base is wide enough that only the mast would need to be metal. Glue it to an appropriately sized square base for Pathfinder, and it should be pretty danged stable.

I have done weapon swaps with metal weapons on a Bones gigure, so I know that the metal bits can work just fine with the Bones models.

I was picturing how the long tentacles would work in PVC, which is why I was wondering about metal tentacles. (Plus, Reaper already has the mold for the tentacles. :) )

I could also see a wire core being used, but I suspect that it would be a right pain in the arse.

The Auld Grump

The kraken might be hard, without resculpting the base to balance better, but I could definitely see a market for mixed material product. For example, as I understand it, it's easier to make dragons and the likes, wings membranes thin with metal, so a Bones dragon with metal wings might work better.

A flat "NO" is silly, since hybrid models using resin, plastic and metal parts sold in the same kit have been around forever. Moreover, half the time, when you are converting, you are mixing plastic and metal models from different bits and kits from the same companies. Anybody who has ever tricked out their Space Marines with shoulder guards from GW's online store is old hat at this: most of the custom guards are metal, and most of the Space Marines are hard plastic. I realize some here are Bones happy and highly protective of what they see as the "next wave" of miniatures technology, but the notion that Bones are somehow immune to this same habit of gamers and hobbyists, to cram whatever bit they please onto whatever model they please, is silly and maybe even snobbish.

Just to slap this sacred cow a little harder on its flatulent rump, let me proudly say that one of my current WIP is taking the head from this

And attaching it to this.

(I actually have a couple variations on this going right now. Thinking of attaching some metal legs to one of them.)

As to some kind of aftermarket, why? The avenues for getting whatever bit you want for attaching to anything you'd like, already exist. You just hunt it down, buy it, and convert. Unless you mean plastic Bones bits. That I'd say NO to. Why bother with conversion bits that need constant boiling in water to straighten out? If I'm going to spend all my time straightening plastic, it'd better be for something expensive and more particular, like my Warmachine or Hordes armies.

While I haven't gotten my Bones yet, they do look to be way more 'bendy' than normal plasics used on the tabletop. I don't think 'Bonesium' can really support any kind of large metal or other heavier materials attached to it. Sure, a hand with a weapon isn't going to cause an issue to a 32mm guy, but wings on a foot tall dragon are going to fall out in no time.

Also, Bones are designed to be painted as-is; metal is not. Plus, Bones don't take too well to some primers. It sounds a tad too complex to be worth it.

I dont think its gonna happen.... mixed material models are done to save money... could you imagine how much the resin+ metal Kraken would cost if the body was all metal? (and the metal bits are there because resin would be too fragile) Bones hold the details of the mold fine and as we have seen with the big BONES dragons, there's really no need for a mixed material model