Quick Question About MSP Metallic Paints

ChudMacGud

I have a quick question about the MSP metallic colors. When a color like New Gold is applied does it have a truly metallic finish to it? My concern before buying is that it may just be a "color" rather than a realistic metal, if that makes any sense lol

I currently paint with Vallejo Oil-Based Metallic paints for swords, buckles, nails, etc. I love how Steel metallic looks on my minis, (a very convincing metallic finish) but I can't get my gold to apply well and I really want to switch over to MSP paints exclusively to fully support Reaper.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all familiar with Vallejo, but in the fine arts metallic oil paints are based on the same pigments as metallic acrylics and have similar effects. The chief difference is the drying time and that oils tend to yellow over time.

I'll be honest. Just not a fan of the Reaper MSP Metallic paints. The Vallejo Model Color, Vallejo Game Color, and Vallejo Model Air are all better. (VMC, VGC, VMA respectively) The metallic component of Reaper MSP Metallic paints doesn't seem to me ground as fine and falls out of solution (I have a fix for this.)

Granted with some effort it can look nice. Here are some examples of my gold work. I used Ancient Bronze as the base metallic color and then shaded it with VMC Smoke and Nightshade Purple. Highlighted by mixing VMA gold with Ancient Bronze.

My overall opinion is that with work they aren't bad. I'm more prone to say they aren't as bad as others are just better.

I have found they like proper undercoating and careful blends to look really good. The gold triad IMO doesn't start "orange" enough. I have started using Army Painter Greedy Gold which is very coppery and highlighting with the... uh.. top gold from the gold triad. It's too rough (big transition from metal orange to metal lemon-yellow) for fine work but pretty nice for gaming.

I find that for the old-school GW drybrushing, the MSP don't play very well. They seem to do pretty nicely if you undercoat right and then block them in like an old paint-by-numbers. Then use a precise wash of warm mid brown for gold, walnut brown or black for steel, redo highlights with either the brightest of the triad or a drybrush of VMC metallic medium.

I've never found a Metallic Gold that looks as real as NMM Gold painting methods mostly because gold, in real life, doesn't look speckled like you get with miniature metallic paints.

I can't see any speckles on my Vallejo silver, or my Gamecraft 'Miniature Paints' gold* - the latter in particular is a lovely rich gold that goes on super-smooth. Maybe if I used a magnifying glass? I do remember vaguely that my old Citadel/GW paints ca 1987 could look speckly, if they worked at all, which the gold rarely did.

*Appears to be a local UK manufacturer. I got it from Orcs' Nest, London, at a very reasonable price, much less than Vallejo GC.

I haven't seen speckles in any brand of metallic miniature paint since the '80's. (Maybe you need to buy some new paints, MonkeySloth? :;): ) The metallic flakes are now finely ground and you don't notice them.

For what it's worth, I've tried metallic gold paints by Citadel, Vallejo, and Reaper, and the Reaper golds are, by far, my favourite. I like to apply Antique Gold mixed with Blackened Brown for a basecoat, then layer up with brighter golds. I find the Reaper golds very fluid and easy to work with, as opposed to the Citadel golds, which are very thick and gunky and tend to dry on the palette very quickly.

It seems like there is a wide range of opinion on this, though, so you're not likely to get a definitive answer. I suggest experimenting with different paints and see what you like.

• Like 1

My current love with gold is to paint an item palomino gold (Reaper - non-metallic) and then give it a thin glaze of Rhulic Gold (P3 - metallic).

Most P3 metallics are kind of weak, but Rhulic Gold seems to have this vibrant feel that I enjoy. By glazing it over the palomino gold it seems to inherent the palomino's strength and coverage and looks pretty nice imho.

Most of my goldwork will be the details on swords and trim on MSP Polished Silver armor. I'm building a Warlord Crusaders army, and the bulk of that army will be uniformed knights. I would really like the gold trim on the armor to look as "New Gold" as possible. So from what ive learned from this thread, once I paint the armor Polished Silver I should then paint the trim areas brown first before applying New Gold?

I seldom use a single metallic color when painting metallics, just as I seldom use a single non-metallic color when painting anything. Brown is a good base color for yellow metals, but I'd recommend you use a darker yellow metal color next, then highlight only the right places with a very bright color like New Gold.

YMMV.

If you want it very bright use Palomino Gold or Buckskin Pale. I strongly suggest using more than just the tone you want to end on. Just flat new Gold will probably look kind of flat and drab. Try undercoating brown, highlighting the undercoat with edge highlights of a yellow-brown, then go to the middle of the gold triad. Paint everything with that and wash with a dark brown. Then go back over the top edges and reflecting surfaces with the new gold. This sounds overlong but the highlighting and washing steps will be very, very quick.

Edited by smokingwreckage