So, just out of curiosity, because I actually know they don't sell RMS in big paint buckets <_< where can I find similar quality paint in large quanties? Because, seriously, basing Kaladrax and Nethyrmaul is going to take a LOT of paint, and I'd prefer not to spend more on paint per gallon than gas in one month (at least not on the same colour). Once they get based I can thin the paints, so that will take some of the pain out, but really... at least pint sized maybe? And I'd rather not resort to craft paints either. Yick!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on sacrificing three "#2" synthetics that are pretty gigantic. Basecoat all in one colour, probably MSP Khaki Shadow, and then divide and conquer by section. Basecoating I'd estimate at under 2 hours by hand, which is nothing compared to the many hours of follow-on work. I also suspect Kally and Nethy will be "back bench lurkers" that I pick at over the course of many weeks rather than sit down to do as one project. Half an hour a day after the basecoating will get the job done.

ETA: For that matter, I might actually just do them in complete subsections and store each piece away until it's ready for assembly.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 1

Golden Paints makes top quality professional artists acrylics (and unlike other major acrylic paint manufacturers, it does not have a line of cheap low-grade "student" paints, I'm looking at you, Liquitex and Winsor & Newton) which come in larger bottles and tubs and cost on average half what premixed minis paints cost.

I use Golden's fluid matte acrylics to paint my minis. They are a little thicker than Reaper paints. You have to add your own flow improver and mix your own colors (which I prefer).

Golden also has a line of airbrush colors which I hear good things about.

Thanks for all the responses guys ::):

I'm apprehensive about using spray paint. I don't have an airbrush, can't afford one, and don't have the space to set one up. So If I went the spray route, it'd have to be cans. But I've never liked spray painting and I reeeeeeeally don't want to ruin my Kaladrax or Nethyrmaul because I don't know wtf I'm doing.

Pingo, do you think the Golden Paints would work well for brush on basing?